Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 08:16 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

It’s hip, it’s fuel-efficient, and it’s cheap. Smart USA’s president explains why he's betting on this tiny Euro two-seater gaining traction in the United States.

Sept. 18, 2007 - Sometimes big ideas—and sellers—come in small packages. At least that’s what Daimler (the Mercedes-Benz folks) think of their Smart Car, an eight-and-a-half-feet-long, five-and-a-half-feet-wide two-seater that’s been popular in European cities for more than a decade. Now the Smart Car is headed to the United States. But can a car not much bigger than a golf cart make a dent in SUV-loving America?

Q&A: Is the Tiny Smart Car a Dumb Idea? - Newsweek Business - MSNBC.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20842020/site/newsweek/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 11:11 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
It's worth mentioning that Daimler has done their research and they know who their market is: urban singles and DINKS who just need a way to get back and forth over short distances, haul a few groceries, don't need a full-size car (with full-size fuel consumption) to do these things, and often face tight parking. They're not aiming for a broad market here. I think it has a lot of potential to do pretty well in the limited markets for which they are intended. IMO the biggest stumbling block is price: starting at $12,000. For that kind of scratch, you can get a better equipped entry-level Kia or Hyundai, and while that would defeat some of the benefits of driving a Smart, your money buys you a ton more utility and convenience.

Last edited by Drover; 09-18-2007 at 11:21 PM..

Old 09-19-2007, 05:42 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,981,359 times
It has a price which is way too high considering what you get. This leads me to believe they don't want to sell many of these cars in the US (perhaps they are not as profitable per unit as their other models/brands?).

Old 09-19-2007, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
It has a price which is way too high considering what you get. This leads me to believe they don't want to sell many of these cars in the US (perhaps they are not as profitable per unit as their other models/brands?).
I don't think you understand how unbelievably expensive it is to certify a production car for sale in the U.S. I doubt they're willing to spend millions and millions to get it EPA emissions-certified, and then spend millions and millions more to get it crash-certified, only to muddle around in the U.S. market. Low-cost cars rarely are "as profitable per unit." But it's volume-sales of low-cost units that keeps the plants running and pays the bills and gives carmakers the luxury and resources to make the higher-profit, lower-volume models.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:13 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times
Plus it is a Mercedes.. You see these all over Europe and I fell in love with them when I first saw one in Stuttgart Germany. I don't know if I'd ever actually buy one, but I can see them having absolutely zero problems selling them in the US. Especially since there has been a grass roots movement going for years to get them over here. I'm fairly certain Daimler Chrysler never wanted to bring them over, but couldn't ignore the demand..

and I wonder if the 2 they're sending over here will also fit head-on into a parking spot like they do over there..
also, all the safety equipment in modern cars isn't cheap.. the days of the sub-$10K car are gone and will never come back..

Old 09-19-2007, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
and I wonder if the 2 they're sending over here will also fit head-on into a parking spot like they do over there..
The spatial dimensions of the ForTwo is exactly the same for the U.S. market as the European market, so I don't see why not.

Old 09-20-2007, 04:41 PM

cool, I bet that'll confuse quite a few meter readers.. I see some funny hidden camera videos coming our way

Old 09-20-2007, 05:04 PM

Yeah, I bet there are a lot of municipal statutes out there that define "parallel parking" specifically enough that someone perpendicular-parking a ForTwo could technically get a ticket.

Old 09-20-2007, 05:30 PM

ha ha, nice user title

It'll definitely make them have to think about parking laws, but fitting two cars in one spot would help downtowns with parking problems. San Antonio could definitely use more parking spots..

Old 09-26-2007, 09:48 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
I test drove one the other day while they were in Charlotte. I had seen them in Toromto a couple of years ago. I am 6'4" and fit comfortably. It has a lot of options for the price. It is a good car if you live in a lrge metro area like NYC, but other than that, it doesn't have much appeal. I liked how you could switch from automatic to manual, but either way the shifting is very jerky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart