Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 07:21 AM

20,975 posts, read 28,518,514 times

Advertisements

I was wondering how many of you eat when you are depressed???? My husband was like this for a long time and then he dropped about 85 lbs over the last year and was doing really well. His biggest thing is snacking especially at night. over the last 2 weeks he has been snacking alot at night He has surgery coming up in 2 weeks and I know he is uptight about it and nervous. He's 39 years old. Is it wrong of me to tell him that I am bothered by the fact he is eating out of depression??? I might buy 1 bag of something like chips or cheese doodles for him once a week but that's it. I told him once he has the surgery he has to stop eating at night right after dinner. He agreed with me and said he was sorry. I told him not to be sorry that I understood why he was eating extra but that I was worried that the weight he had lost would creep back up on him and that fact that he's been off diabetic meds for a year. All the meals I cook are healthy as well as diabetic friendly and satisfying so I feel there is no reason to eat more after the meal unless it's depression. He still has more to loose and since this is surgery on his leg he won't be as mobile and that's a good way to pack on weight.

Last edited by lubby; 03-01-2012 at 07:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 07:25 AM

822 posts, read 3,007,050 times
In my experience, depression can go in either direction: weight loss (you are worried and anxious and can't eat) or weight gain (comfort food, other craving issues, alcohol use, etc.). I have also been told, but I'm not an expert, that depression can sort of change your metabolism and can make your body hold on to calories. I'm not sure of the science on that but someone did once tell me that.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:29 AM

I also forgot to mention he is already taking medication for depression/anxiety anyway. Since this his first surgery ever in his life and he's never had general anesthesia I think the depresson feeling and anxiety may lesson once the surgery is over and then once fully recoverd he should be ok. Recovery time is 2-4 weeks. He's having varicose veins removed.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:20 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,919,029 times
Some depression meds have a very well-known side effect: weight gain...

Check the side effects online of the med he is using..Celexa caused me to be desperately hungry, even waking me at night!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I also forgot to mention he is already taking medication for depression/anxiety anyway. Since this his first surgery ever in his life and he's never had general anesthesia I think the depresson feeling and anxiety may lesson once the surgery is over and then once fully recoverd he should be ok. Recovery time is 2-4 weeks. He's having varicose veins removed.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:35 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,749,496 times
Quote:
I was wondering how many of you eat when you are depressed???? My husband was like this for a long time and then he dropped about 85 lbs over the last year and was doing really well. His biggest thing is snacking especially at night. over the last 2 weeks he has been snacking alot at night He has surgery coming up in 2 weeks and I know he is uptight about it and nervous. He's 39 years old. Is it wrong of me to tell him that I am bothered by the fact he is eating out of depression??? I might buy 1 bag of something like chips or cheese doodles for him once a week but that's it. I told him once he has the surgery he has to stop eating at night right after dinner. He agreed with me and said he was sorry. I told him not to be sorry that I understood why he was eating extra but that I was worried that the weight he had lost would creep back up on him and that fact that he's been off diabetic meds for a year. All the meals I cook are healthy as well as diabetic friendly and satisfying so I feel there is no reason to eat more after the meal unless it's depression. He still has more to loose and since this is surgery on his leg he won't be as mobile and that's a good way to pack on weight.
I would try having one straight-forward conversation with him about what you are observing in a friendly, non-accusatory way and then leaving it at that. Also, I would have the conversation in the morning rather than the evening when he appears to be the most stressed. Nagging certainly won't do any good, but there's not need to tiptoe around the issue.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Some depression meds have a very well-known side effect: weight gain...

Check the side effects online of the med he is using..Celexa caused me to be desperately hungry, even waking me at night!
He's been on zoloft 12 years so I know it's not that and he has a thyroid issue too and takes synthroid. His synthroid dosage was recently increased about 2 months ago.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I would try having one straight-forward conversation with him about what you are observing in a friendly, non-accusatory way and then leaving it at that. Also, I would have the conversation in the morning rather than the evening when he appears to be the most stressed. Nagging certainly won't do any good, but there's not need to tiptoe around the issue.
I have had many conversations lately both evening and morning and he agrees with me he just wants me to stop nagging him unitl the day of the surgery. He understands my point but does not want to reminded that he's eating out of depression because it irritates him. He promises he will get back on track once the surgery is done. Like I stated he has lost 85 llbs so far and he knows he does not want to gain that all back which is easy to do.He knows my nagging is meant in a loving way but a person can only take so much nagging. I will say this he always praises me for being a loving and caring wife even if I do nag him sometimes.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:50 PM

26,033 posts, read 22,230,983 times
Many people eat out of boredom. Maybe if he found something interesting to do that he enjoyed in the evening, not passive like watching television, he might be too distracted to eat or worry about something. I find that if I work on a craft or am reading something, I end up less tempted than just sitting there thinking about food. Television tends to run those food commercials which I think contributes to the problem. We shut off the cable 3 years ago.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:57 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,749,496 times
Quote:
I have had many conversations lately both evening and morning and he agrees with me he just wants me to stop nagging him unitl the day of the surgery. He understands my point but does not want to reminded that he's eating out of depression because it irritates him. He promises he will get back on track once the surgery is done. Like I stated he has lost 85 llbs so far and he knows he does not want to gain that all back which is easy to do.He knows my nagging is meant in a loving way but a person can only take so much nagging. I will say this he always praises me for being a loving and caring wife even if I do nag him sometimes.
Really then, I think that's all you can do. He hears what you're saying and agrees with it and loves you for being a good wife. Ultimately he's in charge of what he puts in his mouth and there's not really anything else you can do about it.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:25 PM

19,262 posts, read 16,777,287 times
Quote:
Just want to say kudos for your husband's weight loss and it's great that he was able to get off diabetic meds. No doubt, he's concerned about his upcoming surgery. That might trigger his emotional eating but since he's had a long history of depression, it's more than likely related. Would like to throw something out there for you, in case it's never been checked. Lots of recent information in the medical field shows a link between depression and low Vitamin D. Even if a person gets enough sun, the body can be deficient in Vit D, especially during winter.

Just a suggestion. At his next doctor visit: Ask your doctor for a 25-hydroxyvitamin D, or 25(OH)D, test. One may also refer to it simply as a “vitamin D test." In the past, doctors have been known to order a 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D test. This is the wrong test as it cannot determine vitamin D deficiency. Make sure your doctor orders the correct test.

When I learned I was low, my doctor had me taking a certain dosage and it made all the difference. Each person is different so it's important to take the right amount of Vit D, as it can be toxic, if too much is taken.

Instead of high fat chips, try a low glycemic chip - example Beanitos. Made from black beans. It doesn't raise the blood sugar and is pretty satisfying. Also, an apple and a handful of almonds is another healthy snack. Funny but crunching on something relieves stress. Maybe that's what satisfies him, more than the taste of the chips. Wishing him well and hope his surgery goes well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health