Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2019, 09:23 AM

573 posts, read 585,236 times

Advertisements

I just got moved into my apartment where I will be temporarily staying this last Saturday. And while I've only been here two days, I have apparently not chosen wisely where to shop locally. It seems big stores like Kroger off Union are relatively safe, but a few local restaurants and dollar tree locations all left me feeling nervous. So far I've driven to Bartlett and Germantown to do shopping, but this seems like an awful long ways to go to feel safe. Am I just being paranoid? Or is Midtown and areas around it unsafe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2019, 03:04 PM

672 posts, read 698,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveswater_outdoors View Post
I just got moved into my apartment where I will be temporarily staying this last Saturday. And while I've only been here two days, I have apparently not chosen wisely where to shop locally. It seems big stores like Kroger off Union are relatively safe, but a few local restaurants and dollar tree locations all left me feeling nervous. So far I've driven to Bartlett and Germantown to do shopping, but this seems like an awful long ways to go to feel safe. Am I just being paranoid? Or is Midtown and areas around it unsafe?

What kind of shopping are you talking about? Bartlett doesn't have many shopping options, so where you actually in Cordova? Try the dollar tree on Poplar near highland, which shouldn't be far from you, in the Kroger shopping center in Midtown. I would think you would feel safe there. Midtown is a hit or miss as far as retail, especially if you head west towards downtown. Overall, retail is one of the areas in which midtown falls flat on its face. Honestly most of your major retail is on the eastern side of town. When out in about in midtown, or really anywhere in Memphis, just use common sense and trust your gut but don't be scared of your shadow. A good portion of Memphis has a gritty feel to it you'll have to get use to it.

Also if you stay in Midtown, you definitely have to check out Overton Square. It has great local/non-chain restaurants, a good vibe, and safe feel. It's a weekend dinning and entertainment spot for many in the city. The Kroger shopping center at Poplar and Highland has a decent selection of chain restaurants. for the Midtown area.

Old 05-27-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1538 View Post
What kind of shopping are you talking about? Bartlett doesn't have many shopping options, so where you actually in Cordova? Try the dollar tree on Poplar near highland, which shouldn't be far from you, in the Kroger shopping center in Midtown. I would think you would feel safe there. Midtown is a hit or miss as far as retail, especially if you head west towards downtown. Overall, retail is one of the areas in which midtown falls flat on its face. Honestly most of your major retail is on the eastern side of town. When out in about in midtown, or really anywhere in Memphis, just use common sense and trust your gut but don't be scared of your shadow. A good portion of Memphis has a gritty feel to it you'll have to get use to it.

Also if you stay in Midtown, you definitely have to check out Overton Square. It has great local/non-chain restaurants, a good vibe, and safe feel. It's a weekend dinning and entertainment spot for many in the city. The Kroger shopping center at Poplar and Highland has a decent selection of chain restaurants. for the Midtown area.
Thanks for the suggestions! Overton Square looks nice. So far I tried to go to a place called Mot and Eds, but after parking in the dingy lot next to it, we didn't feel safe. Same goes for this Wimpy's burger on North Avalon, but we ate there anyway and it was amazing! I think if I avoid eye contact with the gangsters I won't get shot, same with the homeless people. Just part of living in a big city I need to get used to.

Old 05-27-2019, 04:15 PM

191 posts, read 303,317 times
The Kroger and Fresh Market on Union are safe; avoid the Kroger at Poplar and Cleveland. Most Dollar Stores are in marginal areas, so I never go in them. As you get to know Memphis, it becomes easier to try the hole-in-the-wall places in iffy areas, particularly for lunch. Do go to Crosstown, which is an amazing place and safe.

Old 05-28-2019, 03:56 PM

672 posts, read 698,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveswater_outdoors View Post
Thanks for the suggestions! Overton Square looks nice. So far I tried to go to a place called Mot and Eds, but after parking in the dingy lot next to it, we didn't feel safe. Same goes for this Wimpy's burger on North Avalon, but we ate there anyway and it was amazing! I think if I avoid eye contact with the gangsters I won't get shot, same with the homeless people. Just part of living in a big city I need to get used to.

I say it often, when people mention midtown, that you deal with homeless people and loitering much more than just about anywhere in the city, that not in a depressed area. I dealt with it more than I would have liked to when I stayed in midtown.There are several factors that I think contribute to this, but that another thread.

Wimpy's must be fairly new. It wasn't there when I stayed in Midtown. I'll have to check it out the next time I'm out that way. The shopping center that Wimpy's is in, would be something I would consider gritty in feel but relatively safe. I use to frequent the Family Dollar and Home Depot in that shopping center often. Never felt unsafe and didn't see much loitering in that shopping center. The worst I've experienced is someone trying to sell me some cds. I still didn't let my guard down and would gauge the surroundings before exiting the car. Although it has a reasonable amount of traffic with the Home Depot and Planet Fitness being on the lot. There is a Vietnamese restaurant called Pho Binh on the other side of that shopping center across the street from the Cash Saver grocery store that has some great food if you like Asian cuisine and looks even more sketchy than the Wimpy's parking lot . The may even still have a mini lunch buffet during the weekdays, that's pretty good.

Whatever the case, I hope your summer in Memphis goes well. Explore place around the city and maybe cruise through different areas around town to get a feel of Memphis overall, and hopefully you don't run into anything that would sour your short stay. With that said, keep you guard up regardless even when you get more comfortable with the area, midtown is not the suburbs. Really, it applies to any area around town.

Old 05-29-2019, 06:18 AM

56 posts, read 83,743 times
You are paranoid.
Memphis overall is pretty safe. And personally I can say that I have never felt unsafe anywhere in Memphis. Places might be run down or there are homeless around but it's safe.

Old 05-29-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comingtomemphis View Post
The Kroger and Fresh Market on Union are safe; avoid the Kroger at Poplar and Cleveland. Most Dollar Stores are in marginal areas, so I never go in them. As you get to know Memphis, it becomes easier to try the hole-in-the-wall places in iffy areas, particularly for lunch. Do go to Crosstown, which is an amazing place and safe.
Ya my coworkers called it the "stab and grab" Kroger lol. But I'll definitely check out the Kroger on Union next time I need groceries. Driving to Walmart is a pain since all the ones I saw are in the burbs or West Memphis.

Old 06-14-2019, 07:34 PM

I wanted to give an update. Have been fortunate to visit a lot of areas around Memphis/Southaven, and was pleasantly surprised by the square. We really enjoyed Deli on the Square, the owner is very nice. The zoo is amazing, and I look forward to going back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis