Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 11:00 AM

1,062 posts, read 2,069,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfromNO View Post
Hell, you can come stay with me. Nah, I'm 50......
YOU COULD rent a half a duplex in my neighborhood and be about 6-8 minutes from St. Jude.
I am in a mixed neighborhood above N. Parkway which is your straight shot into work.
There is a little of everything in my neighborhood. There are two rainbow-flag waving gay ladies
right across the street from me. One's hot, one looks like a mean skinny dude. I would say that
Midtown is fine for you. No sense in a 45 min commute to St. Jude.
What neighborhood are you in? Sounds like we're neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 02:30 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,845,980 times
Germantown, Cordova, Collierville, Bartlett- surburban areas with lots of shopping areas around and neat little chain restuarants. Boring for a young professional if you ask me.

Midtown- Can be gritty and hippy, vintage, but aside from a few sketchy places, overall safe and def where the fun is and it has a nice selection of distinct eateries. If you live near Cooper Young you can actually experience a lot of walk-ability for weekend spots or after work hour spots.

Downtown- I have lived in all areas listed but I must say downtown, specifically the Gayoso/Pembroke square, was my best living experience EVER in Memphis. There is 24 hour security, it is very very safe, all kind of grad students, young professional live there. I mean you could stay at home in the Gayoso, never go out, and seriously make tons of friends and even find a boyfriend or two. Also, you can literally walk out of the front of these apartment and BAM everything and anything that is happenign is right at your fingertips. Nice upscale lounge (Silly Goose), Beale street, Flying Saucer (great hangout for happy hour after work), just soo soo many options and an awesome food selection unique to Memphis.

Hope this helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngprofmemphis View Post
I'm moving to Memphis in October to work at St. Jude. I am a 24 year old female and young professional. I like to go out to bars/clubs on weekends and occasional happy hour on weekdays. I should also mention I'm moving alone and am single. I'd say I'm moderately "preppy" although I'm open to different experiences. If possible, I'd like to live somewhere in the 650-875 price range (depending on utilities included). Is that a reasonable range? I could expand it if those are the only nice places. I'm just trying to save up as well.

Where in Memphis will be best for me to live and also be able to commute to St. Jude in less than 45 minutes?

Old 05-17-2012, 12:44 PM

268 posts, read 748,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliottc View Post
I wouldn't advertise that your single to anyone. One year a lady just moved to Memphis to work for a radio station and advertised that she was new and going on a blind date. Somebody murdered her. Be safe!
I seriously doubt that happened.

Like I said, when you get here, PM me, in fact, apparently you can PM ME and
Knucklehead_Vol, apparently we are all close to where you need to be living,
and speaking at least for me, I won't murder you. I WILL buy you a drink or
two if you promise to smoke a cigar as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis