Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 07:20 PM

4 posts, read 9,132 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I'm in the process of applying for teaching positions in multiple cities, and am considering Memphis as a possibility to relocate to. I was wondering if any of you could help me get a better picture of Memphis, so I'll start with a short personal profile and what I'm looking for in a city.

I'm a 22 year old male, fresh college graduate from Columbus, OH. I am very, very liberal politically and socially, and want to live in a city where I won't be judged and I can find like-minded people. A good nightlife is important to me, as is a politically aware and active community. I enjoy going to galleries, good beer (I'm addicted to finding microbrews and am a homebrewer myself), and a diversity in food options. A great local music scene would be fantastic, and I have an ear for folk and folk rock. I can't handle close-mindedness or racism, although I am perfectly fine with people who don't share my viewpoints, as long as they respect mine. I hate suburban sprawl scenery, and want to live in a city that is unique, growing, exciting, and fast paced.

Would I feel comfortable in Memphis?

Any help you could offer would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 07:50 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,224,480 times
There are several points both for and against Memphis according to your desires. I'll hit some:

Finding like minded liberal people: Yes, there are a lot of liberal people here. For the city overall, I would say liberal people are not the majority. For districts like downtown and Midtown, I would say liberal people are definitely the majority. Some neighborhoods, like High Point, are probably fairly peacefully mixed. Some neighborhoods are very politically apathetic.

Politically aware and active: Well, not really. Memphis city government is bureaucratic, running in place and shouting at itself and nobody really seems to want to admit the problem and take charge.

Galleries: Yes, lots. Look up events/galleries/orgs like South Main/Trolly Night, Broad Ave Arts, V&E Artwalk, Crosstown Arts, etc.

Good beer: There's one current microbrewer in Memphis. Solid plans have been announced for 3 more, so in the next year or so, we'll have 4. Still way behind the curve, but it's getting better. It's hard to find a place with a huge beer choice (outside of the kinda terrible Flying Saucer), but I spent a lot of time in Asheville before moving to Memphis, so I probably have atypical expectations.

Diversity in food options: Yeah, actually food in Memphis is good. There's a robust local scene and upscale local scene, lots of farmers' markets, a growing awareness of community gardens, etc. Finding good ethnic foods can sometimes be a challenge, but they're there, you just have to investigate. There are also several interesting supermarkets like the Cordova Int'l Farmers Market, a Caribbean one on Park Ave, and a Vietnamese (I think?) grocer on Cleveland in Midtown.

Close-mindedness or racism: Not too many overt racists here, but still lots of people who "prefer to live among their own folk." If you live in the city proper, you won't have any issues with those people as they tend to self-segregate in suburban communities. There's unfortunately quite a bit more close-mindedness among Memphians, but it usually manifests itself as apathy towards the political and civic process and an ignorance of history.

Suburbia is king in Memphis. Vast portions of the city have been developed in the suburban manner and there are only very, very small pockets of the city that are truly urban and walkable to all essential services. Downtown and South Main are probably the best option, while South Bluffs is along the trolly line that can get you into downtown. Mud Island is a 'new urbanist' community of houses built very close together with almost zero services on the island, so you'd need a car.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:08 PM

10 posts, read 24,183 times
Memphis is a facinating place. I think you will find that there are alot of people here who think like you even though many will not. Low cost of living and a warm climate were hard factors for me to overlook in my decision to move here. I think the Memphis music scene is hard to beat. Lots of local bands in the folk/rock genre. My advice is to come to Memphis for a visiit. Talk with some teachers here also. I'm sure they will be happy to give you alot of good insight and guidance. Good luck to you.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:34 AM

255 posts, read 710,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMyers215 View Post
Hello all! I'm in the process of applying for teaching positions in multiple cities, and am considering Memphis as a possibility to relocate to. I was wondering if any of you could help me get a better picture of Memphis, so I'll start with a short personal profile and what I'm looking for in a city.

I'm a 22 year old male, fresh college graduate from Columbus, OH. I am very, very liberal politically and socially, and want to live in a city where I won't be judged and I can find like-minded people. A good nightlife is important to me, as is a politically aware and active community. I enjoy going to galleries, good beer (I'm addicted to finding microbrews and am a homebrewer myself), and a diversity in food options. A great local music scene would be fantastic, and I have an ear for folk and folk rock. I can't handle close-mindedness or racism, although I am perfectly fine with people who don't share my viewpoints, as long as they respect mine. I hate suburban sprawl scenery, and want to live in a city that is unique, growing, exciting, and fast paced.

Any help you could offer would be great!
Memphis is a wonderful city to satisfy several of your preferences. We have amazing food options and music. It's pretty hard to beat Memphis on those two fronts. We also have a great arts scene, and there are plenty of galleries to explore. You will also be able to avoid the suburban sprawl if you care to. There are plenty of great urban neighborhoods with character and energy here. The cost of living is VERY low, and there is no state income tax.

However, I am somewhat surprised that you would consider Memphis an option due to your social and political leanings. I would characterize the Memphis area as generally conservative with pockets of liberalism within. Also, like many southern large cities, Memphis has a sad history of racism and racial inequality that can sometimes emerge in local political and educational discussions. If you have a low tolerance for this type of discussion, Memphis may not be your place. In addition, Memphis is currently undergoing a massive transition in our public school system. The city and county school districts are attempting to merge, and sadly, it is a very controversial issue. You may want to Google, "Memphis City Schools merger" or something similar. Of course, you may be a person who would want to be a part of the solution in our educational struggles. We need great teachers who are sensitive to the cultural and socio-economic challenges in our city.

It sounds like Austin, Denver, Boulder, Portland or other cities out west might suit you as well.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:07 PM

170 posts, read 355,652 times
I moved here last year from Ohio State. Send me a private message and we'll connect, but here's my initial take.

I did not choose to move here, I was relocated by my company.

I am enjoying Memphis more than I thought I would have. It has its positives and negatives.

Pros.
No State income tax
I can afford a place I could not in most other cities (I live on Main St. downtown).
I have fallen in love w/ the Memphis Grizzlies
Looots of good food everywhere, I'd say better than Columbus
Better weather - no more grey Columbus Skies
People who live in the real Memphis have extreme pride for their area, more than Columbus for sure, imo.
Cheap gas, cheaper everything, including alcohol (I was surprised by this).
Downtown is booming! It's growing, new things are being built, etc. It's cool to be part of a growing area.
Lots of good local music.
Tons of events, more than I ever realized in Cbus. Lots of concerts, a theatre, sporting events, festivals, etc.
It's a new place to explore!
Close to NOLA!
and St. Louis
If you teach in Germantown - lots of great parents and great schools to be involved in. In the city, I'd GUESS, not so much (I do not know that so don't hate on me, just an assumption I'd probably make).
People who live in the city are pretty liberl-minded.
Takes a long time to get from downtown to Germantown - where all walmarts, etc. are. In cbus, you can get anywhere in 15 minutes. Here, it's 25-30 minutes to get from downtown to any real retail shopping.

Cons
Takes time to get around
Expensive airport
People and the city, in a lot of ways, are 30 years behind the rest of the U.S.
- socially, some conservative people (some stores close early on Saturday and not open at all on Sunday) (I miss my open to 4am Jimmy Johns!)
- churches seem to be very conservative
- there is one Chipotle, we just got some Panda Expresses, there's 3 Jimmy Johns (all in suburbs)
A lot of the city, you don't want to find yourself in (every city has bad parts, this city's is just bigger, but no big deal). You are safe here.
Lots of people live in the suburbs, which is pretty annoying - only because they despise the city (they remember it 10-20 years ago, when it was "dangerous," it is not dangerous now. It's really 2 cities.
Too close to Mississippi.
Too close to Arkansas.
Too close to Alabama.
Tough (for me) to meet people my age (I tend to think those that are smart enough - and thus I'd enjoy - were smart enough to leave), not too many new young people being recruited in.
You will not find a gym that compares in any way to the RPAC. They built an awesome new gym, but it's a little "ghetto" and way too small, so that's a little annoying, but it's still nice and new.
If you're liberal, your vote doesn't count.

Last edited by jmjordan; 04-26-2013 at 07:31 PM..

Old 04-28-2013, 06:48 PM

405 posts, read 822,561 times
JmJordan, your list of negatives about Memphis seems to far outweigh your list of positives. Maybe since you are a transplant, people will take it seriously when you list some of the same cons and negatives that some of us get argued at for mentioning exist, as if we are just making negative things up about Memphis just be spiteful and contentious

Old 04-28-2013, 07:08 PM

845 posts, read 2,541,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito Brigante View Post
JmJordan, your list of negatives about Memphis seems to far outweigh your list of positives. Maybe since you are a transplant, people will take it seriously when you list some of the same cons and negatives that some of us get argued at for mentioning exist, as if we are just making negative things up about Memphis just be spiteful and contentious

Well, the difference is that jmjordan also listed positives to go along with the negatives, which gives his post balance. You and some of the others here are all negative all the time. That is the reason you get the responses that you do to your posts. No one here is going to tell you that Memphis does not have any negatives. Memphis has many, but there are also several positives and one can have a happy life in the Memphis area.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:15 PM

405 posts, read 822,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigertate View Post
Well, the difference is that jmjordan also listed positives to go along with the negatives, which gives his post balance. You and some of the others here are all negative all the time. That is the reason you get the responses that you do to your posts. No one here is going to tell you that Memphis does not have any negatives. Memphis has many, but there are also several positives and one can have a happy life in the Memphis area.
It's not really that balanced when the negatives of Memphis far outweigh the positives, which as all I ever say, and it's true. Don't knock the messenger(s) for pointing out the truth. One could just as easily say you and many others on here only talk about the things that you think are positive, which makes it seem like you are just super naive or are glossing over the ugly truths to try to give a false perception to outsiders (which, as jmjordan's post shows, many can obviously see right through).

Old 04-29-2013, 01:50 AM

7,538 posts, read 17,224,480 times
Bro, nobody here only talks about positive things for Memphis. Like, legit.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:03 PM

680 posts, read 1,034,394 times
Quote:
I'm a 22 year old male, fresh college graduate from Columbus, OH. I am very, very liberal politically and socially, and want to live in a city where I won't be judged and I can find like-minded people.
"Liberal" is a very broad stroke....so this depends on how you see yourself.

Mid town seems to have a little bit of everything. I'd say Libertarianism and true liberalism are better represented there than anywhere else in Memphis. Mid town seems to vote democrat, but I would not call it a mindless cheerleader for the DNC like I would many other parts of town. You'll see some younger, educated people with many points of views....true diversity of thought, IMO. Same with East Memphis though that tends to vote more republican.

The suburban people transplanted from other parts of the country tend to choose, based on my casual observations, Collierville and Germantown over the other suburbs. Those areas are filled with what I"d consider conservative voters, but I wouldn't put them in the same box as the rural west Tennessee voters either, which are a whole different animal.

Quote:
Bring an open mind, be respectful, and don't be quick to label anyone and you'll probably enjoy Memphis. Negativity is unfortunately common here, but the area has plenty going for it now despite the best efforts of the local politicians.

Don't treat us like we are Riyadh or as if we are some kind of circus act. There are a huge number of Christians here. If religion or Christianity is something you look down on and just can't tolerate, then go somewhere else.

Quote:
I can't handle close-mindedness or racism, although I am perfectly fine with people who don't share my viewpoints, as long as they respect mine.
Respect and tolerance is a two way street here. Be polite and respectful.

Keep in mind that King was shot here. You'll see the word "racism" thrown around casually in local politics. Sometimes it's justified, sometimes not. I've lived in a dozen cities in my life, and the race relations in Memphis seem to be worse than in any other place I've seen. Plenty of elected officials exploit racial sensitivity for personal gain. Get used to it, and try to see through the political rhetoric.

Saying you "can't handle" close-mindeness sounds an aweful lot like you can't handle other viewpoints. Your entire post seems to indicate that you expect Memphis to be backwards and hateful. I find the following quote to be particularly offensive.

Quote:
I am very, very liberal politically and socially, and want to live in a city where I won't be judged and I can find like-minded people..
Are you expecting Memphis to judge you or do you just expect "non liberals" to judge you? Is it important that you are surrounded by like-minded people? Thats' awefully condescending for a 22 year old.

If you are narrow minded enough to label anyone who disagrees with you politically or anyone with a different lifestyle than you as stupid/backwoods/racists/hateful, then you'd probably be happier staying in Columbus or a smaller east coast college town with an adequate bubble of "like-mindedness" to insulate you from reality.

You are 22. You should be excited to step out of your comfort zone and learn something. I'd really hate for you to have to endure the company of my fellow citizens with that attitude....we certainly aren't perfect and all.

Quote:
I hate suburban sprawl scenery, and want to live in a city that is unique, growing, exciting, and fast paced.
Ironically, Mid town was esentially the original suburb of Memphis. You may need to get past that, because most of us here would probably consider it to be one of the best parts of town. You aren't getting around much in Memphis without a car unless you choose downtown, which is also a great area you may want to consider.

The suburban cities have better public schools and more strict zoning and sign ordiances (which makes them feel more controled and homogenous)....but most of them were once their own town before the sprawl took over. People moved out there for the schools and access to affordable housing- so it's more family oriented.

Last edited by tigerphan; 04-29-2013 at 03:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis