Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 06:24 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
There is a limit on how much a pet deposit can be: one month's rent. The final version of SB328 SB1 HD2 CD1 that was passed into law states...
Excellent update!

Quote:
Testimony submitted stated that there are now more pets on Oahu than school age children (more than 700,000 cats and dogs), an estimated 265,000 dogs as pets on Oahu, and that 60% of Oahu homes have at least one pet.
And that is far too many. If anyone doubts this, just check the Pet section on Craigslist, where every day there are people trying to get rid of their dog(s) or other pets because their new landlord won't allow them. The SPCA and Humane Society and other animal rescue organizations are overflowing, and constantly begging people to adopt animals from them so they won't have to be euthanized.

Quote:
This change to the law will hopefully allow landlords to have a larger financial comfort zone about renting to pet owners, which should open up more rentals to households with pets.
Personally, I don't see it changing things much, for all the reasons listed previously... HOA restrictions, insurance prohibitions, noise issues, flea issues, damage issues, smell issues. And as long as landlords aren't having any problem renting out their property with a "no pets" policy, there is not a lot of incentive to change. A high vacancy rate would probably do more, now that there is no barrier to added deposits for pets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2013, 11:09 AM

65 posts, read 96,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
I just posted this in another thread, but will copy/paste it here too, regarding the new law:

There is a limit on how much a pet deposit can be: one month's rent. The final version of SB328 SB1 HD2 CD1 that was passed into law states [my bolds]:

Testimony submitted stated that there are now more pets on Oahu than school age children (more than 700,000 cats and dogs), an estimated 265,000 dogs as pets on Oahu, and that 60% of Oahu homes have at least one pet.

This change to the law will hopefully allow landlords to have a larger financial comfort zone about renting to pet owners, which should open up more rentals to households with pets.
We are also agree to pay 6 months term lease in front at once. Do you believe it will help to find the rental place for us?

Old 07-04-2013, 11:10 AM

20 posts, read 27,081 times
That's the same as a regular deposit/ one months rent ..... No additional money can be collected for pets

Old 07-04-2013, 11:31 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Off topic: TOO MANY BACKYARD BREEDERS OF WTH-TYPE BREED MIXES!

On topic: Just moved to Oahu and my 2 dogs finished up their 120 days at a friend's place. Got them shipped for a direct release at the airport. They've been through too much with all the moving and deploying.

Believe me, they will LOVE their crates when they start their journey. It's a safe place for them.

It would be wise to search for dog-friendly housing well in advance! And don't get fooled by Craigslist scams.

Are you from France? Trying to place the accent...

Old 07-04-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Off topic: TOO MANY BACKYARD BREEDERS OF WTH-TYPE BREED MIXES!

On topic: Just moved to Oahu and my 2 dogs finished up their 120 days at a friend's place. Got them shipped for a direct release at the airport. They've been through too much with all the moving and deploying.

Believe me, they will LOVE their crates when they start their journey. It's a safe place for them.

It would be wise to search for dog-friendly housing well in advance! And don't get fooled by Craigslist scams.

Are you from France? Trying to place the accent...
No, I am Russian originally, but have been living in CA for 8 years already.
How hard was to find the rental place for you with dogs? I really want to get the rental agreement signed in CA via internet before coming to Maui. Do you believe it is possible?

Old 07-04-2013, 01:30 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larisa.murren View Post
No, I am Russian originally, but have been living in CA for 8 years already.
How hard was to find the rental place for you with dogs? I really want to get the rental agreement signed in CA via internet before coming to Maui. Do you believe it is possible?
I'm sure many people would send you a lease over and take your money - now if the place actually exists, that might be another issue.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I'm sure many people would send you a lease over and take your money - now if the place actually exists, that might be another issue.
So, is it absolutely impractical? Even with the management company?

Old 07-04-2013, 01:40 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
larisa.murren, you will find that there are many things in Hawaii that are different from CA, or anywhere else on the mainland. Renting sight-unseen is one of them. Granted there are Craigslist scams wherever you go; Hawaii is not different in that respect. But, you really, really, really do not want to rent something in Hawaii until you've been there and seen it. Pictures might look pretty but they don't tell the whole story.

Please don't be naive enough to try to rent a place via the internet, unless you have a friend on the island who can look at the place for you. Even if you are working with what seems to be a reputable management company, it is too easy to get burned.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:35 PM

20 posts, read 27,081 times
Here's an idea. Rent a vrbo rental for 1-4 weeks while you house hunt. What prop mgmt co are you using ? Where are you working ? Where do you want to live ?

What us this supposed job that hired you 6 mos out? Sounds fishy ....

Old 07-04-2013, 03:31 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauimagic View Post
That's the same as a regular deposit/ one months rent ..... No additional money can be collected for pets
Please read the entire thread before responding. The law in Hawai'i just changed. Now a landlord can charge whatever additional rent they want for accepting a pet, plus the normal one month security deposit, PLUS an additional security deposit of up to a month's rent for the pet.

What they CAN'T do is ask for 6 months prepaid rent, which is why most would never accept it, even if offered, to avoid any appearance of illegal action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui