Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2009, 06:44 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,019,099 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I recently read an article that ranked the real estate markets most likely to increase over the next 10 years - Pittsfield was on the list. I have been through once when I went to Mt Greylock and it seemed nice but maybe a little isolated.

Just curious what are anyone's thoughts on the town/area?

THanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 08:23 PM

746 posts, read 3,500,874 times
The real estate is very affordable, and the little city is slowly growing again, and the Berkshires are lovely, especially this time of year. There is a bit of a split personality to Pittsfield, and North Adams, for that matter, since they both were once big manufacturing centers and many of the residents were laid off decades ago and sort of soured on the area.

There is a younger, more innovative crowd moving in, who want better restaurants a little culture and conviviality of a different sort than was common in the old days. They have to put up with a lot of razzing from the former "mill rats" who see it as an intrusion on their way of life.

Still the locals can be pretty nice and friendly given a chance. They do complain there's "nothing to do" even though there is a ball game, hiking, plays, music and a hundred other things just minutes away. Not sure what would satisfy them.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:37 PM

9 posts, read 28,362 times
Default Thank you Litlux

Litlux,
I have found all your postings to be quite informative (and witty). I hope I don't move to Pittsfield because of you.

Old 07-11-2009, 02:07 PM

96 posts, read 120,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by litlux View Post

Still the locals can be pretty nice and friendly given a chance. They do complain there's "nothing to do" even though there is a ball game, hiking, plays, music and a hundred other things just minutes away. Not sure what would satisfy them.
.........more and better jobs.But I do agree with you !

Old 04-21-2010, 06:38 PM

660 posts, read 1,541,535 times
What "hundred other things" are there to do in Pittsfield, or even just a few minutes away? I lived there for three years in the 2000's (1990's makes sense, 2000's just sounds funny) and there didn't seem to be a whole lot to do. Please do tell!

Old 09-23-2010, 10:02 AM

3 posts, read 6,167 times
Sorry to bump such an old thread, but it had to be done.

I grew up in Pittsfield starting in 1983 and left in 2006, and I can safely say as a youth/young adult in Pittsfield, there is nothing to do. All those things mentioned about hiking, ballgames and so on you can only do for about 3 months out of the year.
What about the other 9 months of the year? Well if your an alcoholic then your in luck, local bars and liqour stores are plentiful enough to satisfy your addiction through the cold winter months.
Maybe you don't like alcohol, then your in luck, because heroin is the drug of choice in Pittsfield, aside from marijuana of course

I do not condone drug use. Just saying its a reality there. (as is anywhere)

There are only a select few things to do in Pittsfield, or even the surrounding areas in the Berkshires, and most of which are only available a few short months of the year.

Point and case, there IS stuff to do in Pittsfield, but they are far and few between November - May/June.

Solution: Get a hobby. Its really all you can do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts