Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 04:58 PM

3 posts, read 16,913 times

Advertisements

Greetings!

My family is looking into moving to Pittsfield or a nearby area. Currently we're in Texas. Though I was born and raised in this state, I am ready to run screaming as far as humanly possible at this point. I have heard a lot of negative things about the cost of living, as well as a few other things in MA/New England however and it concerns me a bit.

So far I've done quite a bit of research and have put an end to quite a few "rumors" I've been fed. I've already determined that groceries are not going to cost a whole lot more up there compared to what they cost us now. We have determined that we can find a house big enough for our family up there far cheaper then what we can find one for down here. However the utilities is still a bit scary.

We're looking to purchase a rather old quite large house. Can anyone give me an estimate for how much utilities are going to run?

I've also been told all about how much ruder people are up in MA by a few people and how much nicer they are by others. And of course the biggest scare tactic I've been fed would be how we're going to all get snowed in. Is the snow really THAT bad up there?

Also, one last thing I could really use some input on.. How are the school systems in the PIttsfield and surrounding areas? I'm not looking for the schools with the best test scores or anything. However I would like to find a decent school for my kids to grow up in.. Perhaps one that has more then one classroom per grade, but isn't so huge it's intimidating.. Perhaps a school that actually abides by the separation of Church and State laws.. Even better a school that doesn't use corporal punishment without parental consent or knowledge.. And even better, a school that can handle educating my mentally disabled son with behavioral issues without having to kick them every step of the way.. Perhaps a lot to ask for I suppose, but still, anyone have any input that can help?

Thanks for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 06:45 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,030,048 times
Hi scfw79

I live down in Connecticut- so my views will not be as exacting as a local. I will try and answer some of your questions.

On 'rude' people. New Englanders tend to be a bit reserved compared to those in Texas and elsewhere. As far as being rude- some can be something I call overly 'frank'- but this attribute can be said of New Yorkers as well.

People in Western Mass. from my experience are pleasant and down to earth.

Western Mass. receives more snow then my location in Connecticut. It is further from the moderating influence of the ocean, and is at a higher elevation. Though winters are milder then 30 years ago due to climate change. Snow is generally cleared off most roads quickly, so being 'snowed in' is more of a 19th and early 20th century reality then one of today.

There is a very strong separation of church and state here. Religion in itself is not a topic of conversation here, and what one believes in is of little importance.

As for schools, Massachusetts has generally one of the best public school systems in the country. Town by town there are sure to be variations.

Why has Pittsfield caught your eye? Also consider Adams and North Adams just to the north of Pittsfield. Lee, Lenox and Stockbridge are also very attractive New England towns.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:15 PM

3 posts, read 16,913 times
Thanks for the info and the answers to my rather stupid questions lol. As for why Pittsfield, well... My best friend is moving there in a week and a half. Considering all the issues we've had over the last couple of years with our local school district here, I want out quickly. Our only options here are either to move back to the big city life or suffer through redneck education. The idea of moving out of state is far less scary knowing a good friend will be right down the road.

The house we're most interested in is actually in North Adams and likes 13 years of being 200 years old.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:30 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,859,629 times
I get down to the North Adams area quite a bit and even Pittsfield as I have friends in the area. I suggest you come up and spend some time here looking around. If the house you are looking at is old I caution you that up here we primarily heat with oil which is very expensive. An older house with insulation issues could really become an issue in terms of cost so look closely before you leap. Winters can get very cold and snowy in the Berkshires and up into Vermont where I am at, so despite all this global warming talk I would suggest to be ready for "normal" winters and if it turns out a few are warmer with less snow then thats good.

Old 11-03-2007, 09:25 AM

3 posts, read 19,420 times
I am a product of the Pittsfield schools and they are just fine. Pittsfield is a small city - has some gritty parts but seems to be coming back. Yes, it snows but main roads a cleared pretty quickly. I'm actually thinking moving back but am concerned with where to find work. I'm a legal secretary and currently working in Philadelphia. Does anyone have any input on how far I will need to travel to find a decent salary? Springfield? Albany?

Old 11-04-2007, 05:11 PM

746 posts, read 3,500,874 times
I am in North Adams, and travel quite a bit to Pittsfield. Both cities are in transition, and for the better.

As for snowfall, both cities are in the 60"+ range, which you can compare with Boston at 40"+. The last couple of years have been pretty mild, and the snowfall less, comparatively speaking.

Groceries are not unreasonable, as I found out visiting family in Virginia. And both cities have farmer's markets in season, where the veggies are both cheaper and better than at the supermarkets. Many of us who are frugal on food visit both PriceRight and BigLots frequently in addition to the supermarket chains. There is also an international gourmet store in Pittsfield - Guido's and the Pittsfield Rye Bakery which makes incredible bread but is only open for a few hours on Friday and Saturday, though many stores in the area carry their luscious products.

I actually find the people in the Berkshires very pleasant and rarely rude or surly. It is the culture here, and city criticism habits are frankly not very effective. There is more of a rural approach to problem solving, Gentle. Very gentle.

There are lawyers here in the Berkshires, and an experienced legal secretary might just luck into a job, though at Berkshire wages, not Manhattan ones. You can write off at least one lawyer in North Adams who could use a good legal secretary, but chooses to use mostly legal interns and assistants who are just terrible. I used him once, never again. OTOH there is a lawyer in Williamstown that I would be proud to be able to work for, he's a gem. Like anywhere there are lawyers who finished in the top of their class, and those who were on the bottom.

Pittsfield has another advantage which I rarely see mentioned - the Berkshire Museum, with almost weekly kids activities that are fun but science based. There is the Hancock Shaker Village with fascinating seasonal activities for the entire family, and down in Lenox the Norman Rockwell museum is always scheduling events for the younger ones. I am not sure about Pittsfield, but in North Adams residents can get day or week passes for all the above and much more for free, from the library.

I bought an old rundown house for a song, have been fixing it up, and couldn't be happier, though I am older and without children here. It will of course take time to adjust and make new friends, but from an educational, cultural, natural surroundings and diversity standpoint, there is plenty to offer. Williamstown even has a school supported program that lets students spend time learning and helping on a farm. (Cricket Creek Farm which offers grass fed cows and their dairy products as well as true free range eggs. The chickens scatter when you drive into their little parking lot).

Sadly, many of the locals are stuck in their little worlds and not too aware of much I have mentioned. I learn about things by reading the dozen or so free publications in the area, especially the Hill Country Observer, the Weekly Advocate (strong focus on children's events, and lately more sports, not as good as it once was for the arts) and others. I compile seasonal previews for the online BerkshireFineArts.com though I tend to focus more on things for grownups than for children. There are daily papers in Pittsfield (Berkshire Eagle) and North Adams (Transcript) as well.

Good luck in your planning!

Old 11-04-2007, 05:47 PM

214 posts, read 702,136 times
My husband grew up in Pittsfield. I have been visiting there for many years. There doesn't seem to be a lot of work there. You could certainly buy whatever type of house you wanted at a reasonable price. I have nephews in the school system there- one at Williams Elementary and the other at Reid Middle. My sister in law has no complaints and I think that the fact that they are city schools, they may get better funding than where I was in Mass that never voted to override proposition 2 1/2 to fund the schools thus entailing deep budget cuts every year. Pittsfield seems to have a good youth athletic program and there are things to do like parks, lakes, museums, etc. The one thing I noticed about Pittsfield is that there are many people who stay after high school. I agree with the previous poster who said they are in their own worlds- everyone went to high school together, has the same set of friends, hang out at the same places, every one knows each other or their family, works right in town. I guess it has its good points and bad points but could be tough to break into the social circles. In addition, it is cold and snowy most winters. Colder and snowier than the Boston area. So be prepared to pay for heat.

Old 12-09-2007, 05:56 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,528,417 times
Willaims is a solid elementary school. The Southeast part of Pittsfield is very nice. Pittsfield is up and coming. We lived there for htree years with young children. Feel free to private message me.

Old 12-09-2007, 07:02 PM

132 posts, read 487,091 times
Have you visited the area in Winter? If not then you need to. If you've never spent a Winter in a cold, overcast climate then you need to see what its like before you buy, or you will be in for a shock.

The difference between summer and winter in new england is like night and day. I grew up in NE but I lived in FL for a few years. The first winter I moved back here I was about ready to shoot myself; you become accustomed to the sunshine after a few winters in FL or TX. I had some serious SAD that first winter back, although its getting a little better now that I've been back for a few years.

I love the Berkshires (hike and camp there in the summer and fall) but its unfortunately also an area where jobs can be difficult to come by; its not exactly growing by leaps and bounds; its not Austin, that's for sure! Thus, make sure you have some fairly secure employment arranged.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:42 PM

10 posts, read 37,017 times
Default Texas v Berkshire Perspective - Hope it Helps

I write in hope of being some help.

I am originally a Yankee. I have lived in the Berkshires for the last 4 years. Before that I lived in the Houston TX area. It certainly is much more expensive to live here.

I bought a brand new 4 bedroom 3 bath 3 car garage home in Kingwood a beautiful golf course and lake community in the suburbs of Houston for 124,000.

I sold in when I moved here to buy a 3 bedroom 3 bath 1 car garage roughly 50 year old house for 340,000.

In Texas you do not have the propane or heating oil bills you have here and electric is a lot cheaper too.

I do not know what your food budget usually entails, but beef and fresh vegetables are without a doubt cheaper in Texas, with a much wider selection, by a long shot. Packaged foods, canned goods, pastas and grains will be about equal. We also use serve new england to stretch our food dollar, you can google them and check out their web site. They really help feed a family and they encourage volunteerism / community activities.

Taxes, yes taxes, don't forget that your property taxes will be much much much higher in New England. Excise taxes also should be considered, you pay these on EVERY VEHICLE you own EVERY YEAR. State inspections on vehicles annually are also costly.

Health care is also much more expensive in New England and should be considered when relocating a family, especially with young children.

I live in Plainfield now. I sold my house and am renting in the Hilltowns. They are more pristine and personable than Pittsfield or Adams/ North Adams. Adams is also much nicer than North Adams. You want to be very leary buying anything in North Adams, be warned. Do your homework, remember a home is about location, location, location. Adams is FAR preferable to North Adams, if you are buying in North Adams for a song there is a reason.

We have roughly 3 feet of snow on the ground in my field right now. I currently heat with propane and it runs me about 1200 to fill the tank about every 10 weeks. I had oil in the other house I owned and it cost me about 600-800 every 8 weeks. So both ways I have had about 100 - 120 a week in heat on average running for about 7 months of the year (October - April.) Electric is also much more expensive.

These are things to very seriously consider. Also, check out the North Adams schools thoroughly for yourself, I don't think you will be impressed. I do understand the lure of 4 seasons and a slower pace of life.

I will be relocating myself to North Carolina this summer. I will still have the four seasons and the slower pace of life. It will not be as hot as Texas, nor as cold as here. It will definitely be a lot cheaper than New England, and people will be friendlier. Because, yes, it is true - people are nicer in the South. School systems are good and the moutains are just as beautiful as they are here in the Berkshires.

Don't get me wrong, many people have their Summer or Second homes here who can afford the lfiestyle. There is skiing, the Norman Rockwell Museum, this is the summer home of the Boston Symphony (Tanglewood), the Clark Museum of Art, and Jacobs Pillow Dance Festival. However, this again all has a price. Also, if you enjoy the restaurants in Texas we do not have as wide of a selectiion in the Berkshires, especially of ethnic foods.

I think that is all, let me know if there is anything I missed or did not cover.

Whatever you decide, best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts