Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2008, 08:22 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,782,080 times

Advertisements

We are moving in 3 weeks to Pittsfield from Cape Cora,l FL. I am originally from Northampton, MA. I have been to Pittsfield many times in the past, but not for about 15 years. How is it? My daughter is going to Stearns Elementary. I know it's no Boston out there, but I like cityish but rural. I cannot wait to go XC skiing... Biking. Feel cool fresh air.

Any info???

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 10:38 PM

746 posts, read 3,501,223 times
Pittsfield has had its ups and downs over the past 15 years, but appears to be on an upswing at the present time. I can't talk about the schools, but the downtown is far livelier than it was with quite a few new restaurants and theatres. The Berkshire Museum has been expanded. The Colonial Theatre is restored to its earlier glory and presents a modest calendar of events. Barrington Stage relocated from Sheffield to the old vaudeville theatre on Union Street and has renovated it into a nice facility, and presents year round plays and musicals.

The Berkshire Medical Center is a huge operation with a growing national reputation. The BRTA system has created an intermodal center where the buses and trains connect and thought is being given to further improvements in schedules etc. as gas prices have gone up. RE taxes are pretty reasonable compared with the rest of the northeast.

The departure of GE from the city was a hard blow, and the focus on a different type economy with jobs that require different skills have flummoxed a lot of the old hands, so there is still considerable unemployment.

They are redoing the road to the top of Mount Greylock. Finally, wait until you see the wind turbine on the top of Jiminy Peak!

Last edited by litlux; 09-09-2008 at 10:40 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-11-2008, 06:28 PM

We are excited to get back up there. I have not been there in about 15 years, I drove through it last fall on my way to N. Adams, and it still looked nice everywhere I drove, no dumpy areas.

You can see the turbine from Pittsfield? That must be cool. I have never gone to Mount Greylock before. I will when it reopens.

Unemployment is crazy all over. I do see jobs up there. Florida, especially here in the county I am in, which is the highest in all of Florida, is terrible, at 7.9%. My family is selling the restaurant they opened last year because it's so bad here it's dying a slow death.

I miss the fresh air, cool weather, fall leaves, pumpkin picking out in Hadley Ma. and Sunderland., a cold Thanksgiving. All the New England things I did until I came to Florida. It will be good to be back, even snow shoveling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by litlux View Post
Pittsfield has had its ups and downs over the past 15 years, but appears to be on an upswing at the present time. I can't talk about the schools, but the downtown is far livelier than it was with quite a few new restaurants and theatres. The Berkshire Museum has been expanded. The Colonial Theatre is restored to its earlier glory and presents a modest calendar of events. Barrington Stage relocated from Sheffield to the old vaudeville theatre on Union Street and has renovated it into a nice facility, and presents year round plays and musicals.

The Berkshire Medical Center is a huge operation with a growing national reputation. The BRTA system has created an intermodal center where the buses and trains connect and thought is being given to further improvements in schedules etc. as gas prices have gone up. RE taxes are pretty reasonable compared with the rest of the northeast.

The departure of GE from the city was a hard blow, and the focus on a different type economy with jobs that require different skills have flummoxed a lot of the old hands, so there is still considerable unemployment.

They are redoing the road to the top of Mount Greylock. Finally, wait until you see the wind turbine on the top of Jiminy Peak!

Old 09-12-2008, 07:48 PM

746 posts, read 3,501,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoMA4good View Post
It will be good to be back, even snow shoveling...
Hurricanes or snow shoveling...hurricanes or snow....hmmmmm

It's a no brainer for me.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:48 PM

Yes but in the Florida threads we have a dingaling that argues how great it is here in Florida(terrible place to live), and that snow kills more people than hurricanes do.... Tell me this guy is not a little off??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by litlux View Post
Hurricanes or snow shoveling...hurricanes or snow....hmmmmm

It's a no brainer for me.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts