Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2024, 12:26 PM

12,820 posts, read 22,003,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
How d[list=1][/LISTl. I wonder how Ms Healey really feels about all this migrant issue. I would think she is in high command, as to how its handled. Can she say Enough is Enough and put her foot down and stop it? Seems to me she has no problem taking over property, and turning them into shelters. I've never once heard her say how is all this impacting Mass residents. Not even once.
She's responding similarly to Democratic leaders in other cities and states that are facing a similar influx. She's repeatedly calling on the Biden administration to take action on immigration, specifically calling out issues with border security and the trafficking of fentanyl. She's also asked for money to deal with the recent arrivals. But in terms of addressing how it's impacted current residents, I haven't heard much.

The problem with saying "enough is enough" is that it's really too little too late and she doesn't have much power to do anything. She, like most Democrats not close to the Southern Border, was content to downplay (or outright ignore) the actual crisis instead choosing to focus on the politics of condemning the racist rhetoric bandied about by the right directed toward the people crossing the Southern Border. So now that the crisis has arrived at her doorstep, she's changed her tune. But there's not much she has the power to actually do. She doesn't have the authority to deport anyone and putting them back on buses and sending them to other states is more political gamesmanship and not a solution. And since she can't go back in time and take a more pragmatic stance on illegal immigration, the only thing to do now is try to advocate for a unified Federal solution on the Southern Border while dealing with the people who continue to arrive in MA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2024, 12:29 PM

16,321 posts, read 8,150,917 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
She's responding similarly to Democratic leaders in other cities and states that are facing a similar influx. She's repeatedly calling on the Biden administration to take action on immigration, specifically calling out issues with border security and the trafficking of fentanyl. She's also asked for money to deal with the recent arrivals. But in terms of addressing how it's impacted current residents, I haven't heard much.

The problem with saying "enough is enough" is that it's really too little too late and she doesn't have much power to do anything. She, like most Democrats not close to the Southern Border, was content to downplay (or outright ignore) the actual crisis instead choosing to focus on the politics of condemning the racist rhetoric bandied about by the right directed toward the people crossing the Southern Border. So now that the crisis has arrived at her doorstep, she's changed her tune. But there's not much she has the power to actually do. She doesn't have the authority to deport anyone and putting them back on buses and sending them to other states is more political gamesmanship and not a solution. And since she can't go back in time and take a more pragmatic stance on illegal immigration, the only thing to do now is try to advocate for a unified Federal solution on the Southern Border while dealing with the people who continue to arrive in MA.
she doesn't have to give them 3 catered meals a deal and hotel rooms...but she's doing that

Old 02-27-2024, 12:35 PM

10,006 posts, read 15,653,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
she doesn't have to give them 3 catered meals a deal and hotel rooms...but she's doing that
It's a magnet.

Old 02-27-2024, 12:56 PM

85 posts, read 32,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
How d[list=1][/LISTl. I wonder how Ms Healey really feels about all this migrant issue. I would think she is in high command, as to how its handled. Can she say Enough is Enough and put her foot down and stop it? Seems to me she has no problem taking over property, and turning them into shelters. I've never once heard her say how is all this impacting Mass residents. Not even once.
She feels great - more freebies for illegals right now means more reliable democrat voters in the future. This might sound totally tinfoil hat but I wouldn't be surprised if all the illegals getting freebies in reliably Democrat states like NY, MN, MA and CA are relocated to purple states once they are made legal with a stroke of that magic executive order pen.

Old 02-27-2024, 01:05 PM

Quote:
What do you realistically suggest that her administration do? Again, she has zero power to deport them. She can't go back to 2020 (or earlier) and change hers (or Baker's) indifferent stance on border security. So what can she actually do right now? Put them on buses and play musical chairs with other states? Not provide food/shelter and let them set up camps on the street and starve/beg for food and money?

Don't get me wrong. Democrats absolutely put themselves in this position by not taking action (or worse, obstructing efforts) to better secure the border years ago. And the amount of money being spent to deal with this crisis is infuriating. But even if we switch to cots in old COVID tents and bologna sandwiches 3x daily, we're not solving the bigger issue at hand.

Old 02-27-2024, 01:09 PM

9,410 posts, read 11,153,578 times
The endgame is the destruction of Western Civilization.

Old 02-27-2024, 01:10 PM

16,321 posts, read 8,150,917 times
Default re

Quote:
What do you realistically suggest that her administration do? Again, she has zero power to deport them. She can't go back to 2020 (or earlier) and change hers (or Baker's) indifferent stance on border security. So what can she actually do right now? Put them on buses and play musical chairs with other states? Not provide food/shelter and let them set up camps on the street and starve/beg for food and money?

Don't get me wrong. Democrats absolutely put themselves in this position by not taking action (or worse, obstructing efforts) to better secure the border years ago. And the amount of money being spent to deal with this crisis is infuriating. But even if we switch to cots in old COVID tents and bologna sandwiches 3x daily, we're not solving the bigger issue at hand.
She could ignore them and not give them anything, the same way she has done to many others already here.

At this point yes, I think letting them starve and beg would have made much more an impact than how the situation is being handled.

Old 02-27-2024, 01:23 PM

Quote:
She could ignore them and not give them anything, the same way she has done to many others already here.

At this point yes, I think letting them starve and beg would have made much more an impact than how the situation is being handled.
It's a Catch-22. I fully agree that the efforts being made to to provide food and shelter make Massachusetts more attractive for migrants than some other places. But they're coming to MA regardless. And not providing a roof and food means that the arrivals will be on the street. Even if your frustration has reached a point where you're OK with letting people just starve when you have the power to help, you'll still have to deal with thousands upon thousands of additional homeless people on streets and in makeshift encampments across the state. I'm not sure that's truly a better option.

Old 02-27-2024, 01:32 PM

85 posts, read 32,260 times
Quote:

We will solve it as a matter of fact - illegals are a lot less likely to show up if they know they're getting a cot in a leaky tent and a bologna sandwich instead of a nice hotel room and catered meals three times a day.

Old 02-27-2024, 01:35 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,402,545 times
Quote:
So what can she actually do right now?
The governor could appeal loudly and strongly to the President and Congress to change the border and immigration policies immediately, rather than continue to spew partisan partisan talking points.

Of course to the point made earlier in your post, this is not realistic, and will not happen. We have made our beds with this hyper partisan political climate. Both of our ruling parties should be pursuing policies that facilitate (much) more legal immigration, while looking to curb illegal immigration drastically. However, there is no comprise or middle ground anymore and both parties are to blame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts