Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2023, 10:14 AM

23,562 posts, read 18,661,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Medway, Medfield, Mllis, etc have always been appealing to people. It's a further out commute, but there's a great sense of community in those towns, also lots of space, woods, farms, the schools are good. Not everyone wants a congested suburb with a small home on top of their neighbors just to be as close to Boston as possible. Franklin seems to have risen in popularity over the years as well.

Again, not everybody (maybe not even most?) in those towns commute to Boston. A lot work in nearby Franklin, Hopkinton, Framingham, etc..

I get the sense that there's some stressed/disgruntled folks in this forum who have to commute to places like Cambridge (or forced to live in a shoe box near there), and are resentful of those fortunate enough to live/work in a more reasonable part of MA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2023, 10:16 AM

16,297 posts, read 8,126,207 times
Apparently yes, it needed to be said.

And actually these towns became more desirable way BEFORE WFH and covid....many people have been priced out of certain towns for years. Also seems like there's been an increase in working professionals/transplants to the area looking for places to raise families. Not everyone has a Wellesley budget.

Arlington used to be mainly middle class/working class. Look at it now. MA has greatly changed over the past 20 years.

Old 11-14-2023, 10:18 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Again, not everybody (maybe not even most?) in those towns commute to Boston. A lot work in nearby Franklin, Hopkinton, Framingham, etc..

I get the sense that there's some stressed/disgruntled folks in this forum who have to commute to places like Cambridge (or forced to live in a shoe box near there), and are resentful of those fortunate enough to live/work in a more reasonable part of MA.
I personally know people in Medway who commute to boston. It isnt uncommon...at all. I had a former boss who commuted from Medway to Cambridge everyday

Noe one is forced to live anywhere or work anywhere. People choose what the choose. A lot of folks here can't seem to bear the idea of a long commute...but many can and have that. I'm not sure what commutes are like in other cities, but in Boston an hour commute is not uncommon at all.

Old 11-14-2023, 10:47 AM

3,584 posts, read 1,816,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I personally know people in Medway who commute to boston. It isnt uncommon...at all. I had a former boss who commuted from Medway to Cambridge everyday

Noe one is forced to live anywhere or work anywhere. People choose what the choose. A lot of folks here can't seem to bear the idea of a long commute...but many can and have that. I'm not sure what commutes are like in other cities, but in Boston an hour commute is not uncommon at all.
An hour commute easily becomes unbearable when you have morons tailgating, doing dangerous maneuvers just to get one car ahead, etc.

Old 11-14-2023, 10:49 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
An hour commute easily becomes unbearable when you have morons tailgating, doing dangerous maneuvers just to get one car ahead, etc.
Right but some people have no choice...or they simply choose to pay less for a place to live and have to endure the longer commute.

Old 11-14-2023, 11:32 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
I actually enjoy my 30-45mins in the car each AM/evening.

Actually, the one thing that makes my commute miserable is the weather. I despise driving in the cold/dark. If i could roll my windows down, open the sunroof, or drop the top and enjoy a 60+ degree day, i am a happy clam. I hate being sealed up in a box.

Old 11-14-2023, 11:40 AM

842 posts, read 551,351 times
Nowadays cars have access to internet (e.g. via cell phone), so commuting can be more productive.

I like to listen to audio books when I drive. There were some books I had wanted to start reading but always postponed due to many reasons, however I managed to finish "reading" them by listening. Otherwise, I probably will never read them.

Old 11-14-2023, 02:49 PM

This apartment has an HOA fee of $27k/mo, and property tax of $340k/yr.
So even millionaires cannot afford living there if you give them this property for free.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...33605813_zpid/

Old 11-15-2023, 04:24 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,121,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtPleasantDream View Post
This apartment has an HOA fee of $27k/mo, and property tax of $340k/yr.
So even millionaires cannot afford living there if you give them this property for free.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...33605813_zpid/
What math are you doing and which millionaires are you talking about? Someone with $100 million net worth can probably afford it.

Old 11-15-2023, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
What math are you doing and which millionaires are you talking about? Someone with $100 million net worth can probably afford it.
My math is very clear: millionaires cannot live there if you give them the home for free.
What’s your question then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts