Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2023, 09:00 AM

257 posts, read 258,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Do you know someone who bought a mansion in Duxbury for 700k in 2019? I think that's a bit of a stretch. Here are some nice homes that sold for quite a bit more than 700k in 2019 in Dux. Amazing what they're worth now:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...57177471_zpid/

https://www.redfin.com/MA/Duxbury/30.../home/16343578

this one sold for over 1M in 2018:

https://www.redfin.com/MA/Duxbury/19.../home/16342453

to put things in perspective this one sold for just under 700k in 2013:

https://www.redfin.com/MA/Duxbury/22.../home/16343733

These are nice but there are obviously bigger more impressive homes in Dux.

In 2017 I remember looking at homes in Norwell, Dux, even Hingham and it was pretty amazing what you could get in terms of a nice 4 bed, 2 bath house. I recall seeing quite a few for 650-700k...but they weren't mcmansions. I think it's been quite some time since someone was buying a 700k mansion in the greater boston area...maybe in Kingston, pembroke or abington on the south shore but even that's a stretch.

There's also a newly built development off the st that the small 835k house is on. The houses there have recently sold for 1.5-2M so those maybe brought up the value of that newly listed house. I continue to be shocked by what people list homes at...so I try to justify it I guess.
I play this game all the time- look up what we could have afforded if we stretched our budget in 2018-2019. In hindsight, I wish we would have upgraded sooner. There is one house down the street from me that sold for a relative bargain in early 2020 that I would have absolutely loved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2023, 09:17 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southshorebound View Post
I play this game all the time- look up what we could have afforded if we stretched our budget in 2018-2019. In hindsight, I wish we would have upgraded sooner. There is one house down the street from me that sold for a relative bargain in early 2020 that I would have absolutely loved.
I wish we'd bought our forever home in 2013 lol. I know married couples my age who bought then or before and I envy their mortgage payments.

Old 06-28-2023, 10:01 AM

3,620 posts, read 1,844,995 times
Quote:
I wish we'd bought our forever home in 2013 lol. I know married couples my age who bought then or before and I envy their mortgage payments.
I know a lot of people who envy my mortgage payment of $1000/month on the dot. ~$1500/month with taxes and insurance. Too bad it's not my forever home though. I'll be paying like triple for that!

Old 06-28-2023, 10:13 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
I know a lot of people who envy my mortgage payment of $1000/month on the dot. ~$1500/month with taxes and insurance. Too bad it's not my forever home though. I'll be paying like triple for that!
Why dont you just stay where you are then?

Old 06-28-2023, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Why dont you just stay where you are then?
I know realtors have been saying 'marry the house, date the rate' in today's market. However, I want to marry my rate and date the house but that obviously isn't possible! I'd love to keep my current payment. What I don't love is living on a busy street and having a bad neighbor where every time there's a storm or very windy conditions I have to to worry about their trees/limbs crashing my house and property! (already had some limbs come down in my property from their dying trees) It's a bit of rolling the dice. Do I want to stay here and chance having to rebuild and deal w/insurance claims.....as it's not if but when it happens or just get the heck out now?

Old 06-28-2023, 10:29 AM

23,560 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
I know realtors have been saying 'marry the house, date the rate' in today's market. However, I want to marry my rate and date the house but that obviously isn't possible! I'd love to keep my current payment. What I don't love is living on a busy street and having a bad neighbor where every time there's a storm or very windy conditions I have to to worry about their trees/limbs crashing my house and property! (already had some limbs come down in my property from their dying trees) It's a bit of rolling the dice. Do I want to stay here and chance having to rebuild and deal w/insurance claims.....as it's not if but when it happens or just get the heck out now?

Personally I would just stay put and keep stashing money away until the market/rates become more favorable. As for the neighbor's trees...that's what insurance is for. Part of owning a home.

That's just me though. I'm obviously not experiencing this first hand.

Old 06-28-2023, 10:34 AM

Another thing...last I heard the student loan payment suspension has come to an end?

Apparently (and expectantly) a lot of clowns took this as an "opportunity" to take on new mortgages and other debt. If they have to start paying on their student loans again, we could see a new wave of foreclosures and other defaults.

Old 06-28-2023, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Personally I would just stay put and keep stashing money away until the market/rates become more favorable. As for the neighbor's trees...that's what insurance is for. Part of owning a home.

That's just me though. I'm obviously not experiencing this first hand.
Yeah, it is a tough call for sure b/c I have been able to stash a lot away due to my low overhead. I'd love to continue for a bit longer especially in today's economy. However, it's a dangerous situation to have to worry about getting clonked by a limb in your own yard or your house/property getting damaged. Due to the way the tree laws are written in this state, owner's property rights are paramount. Even if I took a chance and had a tree company remove the neighbors trees without permission, I guess the guy could take me to court for trespass and try to get replacement value for the trees....if he wanted to be a d*nk. I talked to an attorney about it. This guy is a d*nk by the way as I found out this week. I tried talking to him about it and the damage to the trees is clearly visible but he won't remove them and won't let me remove them (I even offered to pay as I already had a tree guy come give me a $4K estimate for the work). I'm kind of at a loss as I don't have any other options to remedy.

Old 06-28-2023, 10:53 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Another thing...last I heard the student loan payment suspension has come to an end?

Apparently (and expectantly) a lot of clowns took this as an "opportunity" to take on new mortgages and other debt. If they have to start paying on their student loans again, we could see a new wave of foreclosures and other defaults.
Seems like they are trying to push on with this? Seems to be no answer...meanwhile I guess no one is paying their debt.

Old 06-28-2023, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Seems like they are trying to push on with this? Seems to be no answer...meanwhile I guess no one is paying their debt.

Yeah chances are they will skate free, while those who were responsible and paid their debts will now lose out in the market to the prior group (and ultimately pay the price). Awesome world we live in now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts