Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2023, 10:37 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,198,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
By the time that age/demographic sells their houses, the next generation will say they're waiting for me to downsize or die so they can buy my house.
It's just a weird way of thinking that I personally never thought of until this past year or so. I am on my 2nd home and never while we were looking did i think, wow there are too many old people still living in their homes, they need to get the hell out. But I can see where maybe they are creating some of this low inventory by staying in their homes...oh well.

I mean old people are basically treated like crap in this country. Companies often want them to retire, they prefer young workers for the most part. Even men tend to want a younger partner when it comes to choosing a wife regardless of how old the man is. Everyone wants to stay looking young so basically they think old people are ugly. So I don't feel that bad if old people are staying in their homes, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2023, 10:58 AM

1,540 posts, read 1,125,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
It's just a weird way of thinking that I personally never thought of until this past year or so. I am on my 2nd home and never while we were looking did i think, wow there are too many old people still living in their homes, they need to get the hell out. But I can see where maybe they are creating some of this low inventory by staying in their homes...oh well.

I mean old people are basically treated like crap in this country. Companies often want them to retire, they prefer young workers for the most part. Even men tend to want a younger partner when it comes to choosing a wife regardless of how old the man is. Everyone wants to stay looking young so basically they think old people are ugly. So I don't feel that bad if old people are staying in their homes, lol.
Weird thoughts occur whenever money and self interests are involved.

Old 06-27-2023, 11:09 AM

3,620 posts, read 1,844,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iced_Coffee View Post
Being totally honest, that's exactly what I wanted. My wife and I managed to make it happen a couple years ago but budget wouldn't allow for it to be a grand or impressive house, to say the least. So instead, we had to settle for a not-so-great house that luckily met the SFH, town/school district, location requirements. Our backup plan was a condo in a good town close to Boston, but as parents who had lived through the start of the pandemic in an apartment (in a 2-family), we wanted some privacy and separation.

I'd still like to get out from under the house in a perfect world, but current market pricing doesn't really allow for that since I'd have to discard a 2.8x% mortgage and buy back into this market.
Similar situation here except I settled for location/lot vs settling for the house. I have a house I actually like but the lot/property location within the town not so much (and I have bad neighbors on one side too). I've read a few articles recently and they're calling it the golden handcuffs. A lot of folks want to move but can't/won't because of the ~3% rates holding them hostage in their current place.

Old 06-27-2023, 11:12 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Rather than blame old people for staying in the homes that they own I think it could also be said that there are too many people living in the Boston area at the same time who all want the same thing and can afford it. Seems like the influx of people into the area over the past decade or so also created the problem where old people can't find more affordable downsizing options. The timing is just all around not great for housing.

Old 06-27-2023, 11:49 AM

360 posts, read 141,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
Similar situation here except I settled for location/lot vs settling for the house. I have a house I actually like but the lot/property location within the town not so much (and I have bad neighbors on one side too). I've read a few articles recently and they're calling it the golden handcuffs. A lot of folks want to move but can't/won't because of the ~3% rates holding them hostage in their current place.
Golden handcuffs is pretty much it, exactly.

Old 06-27-2023, 12:38 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
IMHO, the issue with elderly/retired folks staying in big houses is often their complaint that they can no longer afford the taxes and upkeep on the house on a smaller income.

I worked with a older guy who has a paid off house in a tony North Shore house - nothing huge or special but could probably sell for around $900K. He lives alone in this 4 BR house and currently harps about the increasing taxes to pay for schools and other amenities and the ongoing cost of maintaining the house. I don't know his income streams.

He could sell the house and buy a condo or townhouse in the area for about $650K and many of those worries would go away. But he likes his garden and storing his little boat in the yard and hopes he can pass the house onto his kids who all live out of state.

I can understand wanting to stay in your home. It's an emotional thing. But from a pragmatic perspective, it would be much simpler to sell the house and figure out a way to continue your lifestyle without all the worrying and complaining.

Old 06-27-2023, 12:49 PM

1,540 posts, read 1,125,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
IMHO, the issue with elderly/retired folks staying in big houses is often their complaint that they can no longer afford the taxes and upkeep on the house on a smaller income.

I worked with a older guy who has a paid off house in a tony North Shore house - nothing huge or special but could probably sell for around $900K. He lives alone in this 4 BR house and currently harps about the increasing taxes to pay for schools and other amenities and the ongoing cost of maintaining the house. I don't know his income streams.

He could sell the house and buy a condo or townhouse in the area for about $650K and many of those worries would go away. But he likes his garden and storing his little boat in the yard and hopes he can pass the house onto his kids who all live out of state.

I can understand wanting to stay in your home. It's an emotional thing. But from a pragmatic perspective, it would be much simpler to sell the house and figure out a way to continue your lifestyle without all the worrying and complaining.
Yeah and the irony is the kids will sell the house anyways, especially if none of them live nearby.

Old 06-27-2023, 02:57 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,733,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
its typical Ma. sentiment! Its what Ma. has become. I have young neighbors who can afford to buy a 500,000 small house and some of them firmly believe the elderly have no right to own single family homes. They give lip service to the leftist philosophy but when push comes to shove dont expect these young people to help anyone. Some of the most selfish individuals Ive ever met. Affluence breeds arrogance, very alive and well in Ma.
When we were bidding on homes, we were competing with elderly couples. I can see why younger folks can feel resentment towards them. They have more money and it's just two of them, so why do they need a 3-4 bedroom house with a yard and no kids? Luckily we finally found a house we liked after looking for about a year.

Old 06-27-2023, 03:11 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,429,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
I wouldn't be surprised the sellers get it... but that would be such an awful commute. You'd probably have to leave at 5 or else it'd take you an hour and a half+.

Awful commute for whom? You? An hour and a half+ to where?

Presumably anyone purchasing this home considers their commute acceptable.

Old 06-27-2023, 03:15 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,733,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Awful commute for whom? You? An hour and a half+ to where?

Presumably anyone purchasing this home considers their commute acceptable.
To Boston, obviously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts