Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2023, 12:42 PM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
How do you know everyone's financial situation? What if I told you some people already max their 401k and 529 and can also afford a home?
I don't and neither do you. You're the type that thinks that anyone who spends the money must have it. Very naive. I'm aware that some people have money falling out of their pockets but you're kidding yourself if you don't think others put themselves in bad positions trying to keep up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2023, 12:44 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
that's just it. Someone who paid 100k over asking on a house likely made some sacrifices too. Maybe they should have put that money in their 401k or saved it for their kids college fund. Instead they threw it into a house.
Or maybe they can continue to max their 401k and fully fund their kids college. You don’t know. But you consistently claim it must be the case. You’re probably right in some cases, but not in all unless you see lots of kids in your town having to forgo college and retirees struggling to keep the heat on. You know nothing about the finances of any home buyer unless you know them and they tell you. I sincerely doubt that’s the case with every home sale in your area. All your doing is speculating. Maybe you should do a deep dive on the number of foreclosures amount the homes that sold at least 50k over ask in the last 3 years. Maybe that would be illuminating.

Old 06-19-2023, 12:48 PM

3,620 posts, read 1,840,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
How do you know everyone's financial situation? What if I told you some people already max their 401k and 529 and can also afford a home?
I know you don't like this but you can easily get a glimpse into it and make some reasonably safe surface level assumptions. If you're curious about that $100K over lister....check out the mortgage/down payment amount in the public recordings. If they only put like 5-10% down and still chose to offer $100K over list chances are they probably are stretching things thin and if they're not struggling now, once they move in and realize all the bills, maintenance and upkeep costs that go along w/that mortgage it will be a world of pain.

Old 06-19-2023, 12:49 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Or maybe they can continue to max their 401k and fully fund their kids college. You don’t know. But you consistently claim it must be the case. You might be right in some cases, but not in all unless you see lots of kids in your town having to forgo college and retirees struggling to keep the heat on. You know nothing about the finances of any home buyer unless you know them and they tell you. I sincerely doubt that’s the case with every home sale in your area.
Nope. i didn't say that was the case for all. The people next door to me seem like they have the money based on their jobs and both have rich parents (which is really probably where the money comes from)

Why is it hard for some here to get that others do pay more than they should though? It's almost humorous. Not to mention that people's job situations can change not always for the better. People seem to think that having a high paying job for a few years means that's how it will be for the rest of their life.

Old 06-19-2023, 12:50 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
I know you don't like this but you can easily get a glimpse into it and make some reasonably safe surface level assumptions. If you're curious about that $100K over lister....check out the mortgage/down payment amount in the public recordings. If they only put like 5-10% down and still chose to offer $100K over list chances are they probably are stretching things thin and if they're not struggling now, once they move in and realize all the bills, maintenance and upkeep costs that go along w/that mortgage it will be a world of pain.
I actually don't look to see what people put down. I just know that plenty of people live above their means. People on this forum don't want to hear that for some reason

Old 06-19-2023, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Nope. i didn't say that was the case for all. The people next door to me seem like they have the money based on their jobs and both have rich parents (which is really probably where the money comes from)

Why is it hard for some here to get that others do pay more than they should though? It's almost humorous. Not to mention that people's job situations can change not always for the better. People seem to think that having a high paying job for a few years means that's how it will be for the rest of their life.
Again, people are paying over ask because that’s what it takes in today’s market to get an offer accepted. Anyone looking in a competitive market who’s unwilling to go over ask should just stop looking. But there’s also a huge cost to that given the year over year increase in home prices.

Sure, people lose jobs. Or get divorced. Or get transferred to Omaha. But that can happen regardless of how much or how little you pay for your home. Sometimes you’re just unlucky. Should we all plan our lives around the worst that could happen? No because that’s just silly.

BTW, WOW on your presumptions about your neighbors. You assume their “rich” parents are paying for their lifestyle even though you admit they have money based on their jobs. Does your judgement extend to everything and everyone? Would you be ok with them judging how you pay for your home and lifestyle? Not nice.

Old 06-19-2023, 01:04 PM

Default ew

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Again, people are paying over ask because that’s what it takes in today’s market to get an offer accepted. Anyone looking in a competitive market who’s unwilling to go over ask should just stop looking. But there’s also a huge cost to that given the year over year increase in home prices.

Sure, people lose jobs. Or get divorced. Or get transferred to Omaha. But that can happen regardless of how much or how little you pay for your home. Sometimes you’re just unlucky. Should we all plan our lives around the worst that could happen? No because that’s just silly.

BTW, WOW on your presumptions about your neighbors. You assume their “rich” parents are paying for their lifestyle even though you admit they have money based on their jobs. Does your judgement extend to everything and everyone? Would you be ok with them judging how you pay for your home and lifestyle? Not nice.
I actually don't know what they make in their jobs but they're in their mid 30's. Yes I would imagine the parents help pay for their lifestyle and they're often staying in one of the parents homes on the cape or in upstate NY. You must not post here often...it's been discussed ad nauseam that many people are given money for homes by parents.

Old 06-19-2023, 01:08 PM

3,620 posts, read 1,840,863 times
Quote:
I actually don't know what they make in their jobs but they're in their mid 30's. Yes I would imagine the parents help pay for their lifestyle and they're often staying in one of the parents homes on the cape or in upstate NY. You must not post here often...it's been discussed ad nauseam that many people are given money for homes by parents.
How does the fact that they go stay at a family members home in the Cape or NY clue you in that they have an expensive lifestyle? Do they have the latest and greatest Tesla? Did you see dumpsters outside after they closed on the house with a full gut reno (including outdoor kitchen to follow)?! I'm just not seeing how the fact that they stay at a family members home correlates to them living an expensive lifestyle?

Old 06-19-2023, 01:09 PM

Quote:
You would imagine. That says it all.

Old 06-19-2023, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
How does the fact that they go stay at a family members home in the Cape or NY clue you in that they have an expensive lifestyle? Do they have the latest and greatest Tesla? Did you see dumpsters outside after they closed on the house with a full gut reno (including outdoor kitchen to follow)?! I'm just not seeing how the fact that they stay at a family members home correlates to them living an expensive lifestyle?
Seems like a lot of assumption and no fact. And perhaps a few sour grapes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts