Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2023, 05:14 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,926,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Not sure your point exactly? The bailing out of individuals and corporations from the consequences of their own reckless behavior, has (2008 was no exception) contributed substantially to the national debt. And it's also indisputable the consequences our debt has on everything, from inflation to our economic future and ability to maintain things like a safety net and a strong military.
You brought up the recent default crisis, which it seems you did not understand. It is a political event that happened for the reasons I mentioned.

That is separate from the national debt, which you seemed to be implying is the result of people spending too much on housing. Certainly the debt is something to be worried about, but focusing on individual homeowners is not going to produce a substantial change. It's the equivalent of the moral panic over plastic straws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Not really a fair analogy. It wouldn't be appropriate to single out specific fat people and make derogatory comments.

We're talking about houses. Houses that some people think the buyer paid too much for.
You aren't criticizing the houses you are criticizing the people who bought the houses. Not only that, there seems to be a legion of people who do further research on those people, trying to find just about as much about their financial situation as is available in public record.

A better analogy would be that you aren't just criticizing fat people, you are waiting for them to take out their trash and figuring out what they've been eating so that you can feel even more justified in your criticism.

I can't do anything to stop you, as you don't seem to think your behavior in this regard is antisocial, either because you think you are criticizing "the house", that the records are publicly available and so fair game, or maybe because you think are providing a valuable public service that will be the difference between national economic collapse and fiscal security.

My main question still remains, "is the choice to overpay for a house all that irrational to the people making it". The options right now are still:

1) Overpay
2) Continue renting
3) Move
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2023, 08:30 AM

2,710 posts, read 1,736,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
You brought up the recent default crisis, which it seems you did not understand. It is a political event that happened for the reasons I mentioned.

That is separate from the national debt, which you seemed to be implying is the result of people spending too much on housing. Certainly the debt is something to be worried about, but focusing on individual homeowners is not going to produce a substantial change. It's the equivalent of the moral panic over plastic straws.

You aren't criticizing the houses you are criticizing the people who bought the houses. Not only that, there seems to be a legion of people who do further research on those people, trying to find just about as much about their financial situation as is available in public record.

A better analogy would be that you aren't just criticizing fat people, you are waiting for them to take out their trash and figuring out what they've been eating so that you can feel even more justified in your criticism.

I can't do anything to stop you, as you don't seem to think your behavior in this regard is antisocial, either because you think you are criticizing "the house", that the records are publicly available and so fair game, or maybe because you think are providing a valuable public service that will be the difference between national economic collapse and fiscal security.

My main question still remains, "is the choice to overpay for a house all that irrational to the people making it". The options right now are still:

1) Overpay
2) Continue renting
3) Move

This 100%. Couldn't have said it better!

Old 06-18-2023, 08:34 AM

16,412 posts, read 8,215,049 times
Well the people who chose to over pay are keeping the prices the way they are. If there was some sort of revolt against paying 100k over asking maybe prices would normalize again. Plenty of people weren't thrilled to pay 100k over asking but they did it anyways

Old 06-18-2023, 08:41 AM

721 posts, read 996,878 times
Quote:

1) Overpay
2) Continue renting
3) Move
We chose to over pay in order to move back to Mass. We paid $340,000 for an over 55 condo in western Mass. That is high for out here but we had no choice. We had to get back to Mass. We could not afford anything east of here. So we bit the bullet. Are we happy about it? We are making peace with it. We have 2 bedrooms and 2 baths and a garage in a recently built condo complex.

Old 06-18-2023, 08:55 AM

17,743 posts, read 9,202,314 times
Quote:
This thread is for posting real estate observations (see thread title). If you disagree with an observation, state why. But it's not your place to tell others which observations they can or cannot post.
Quote:
There’s a difference between worrying about the obesity epidemic and posting pictures of specific fat people and saying “boy, I’d never let myself get that disgusting”. This thread has recently veered so far into that the latter that it’s become hard not to say something.
Quote:
Not really a fair analogy. It wouldn't be appropriate to single out specific fat people and make derogatory comments.

We're talking about houses. Houses that some people think the buyer paid too much for.
Quote:

1) Overpay
2) Continue renting
3) Move
Why is this being directed at me?

I have not done any of those things. I am simply saying that one of our posters doesn't get to decide which 2023 real estate observations can or cannot be posted.

There was even a new real estate thread started because they didn't like some of the 2023 real estate observations being posted here. This is extremely childish behavior, IMO.

Old 06-18-2023, 09:23 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,926,821 times
Quote:
Why is this being directed at me?

I have not done any of those things. I am simply saying that one of our posters doesn't get to decide which 2023 real estate observations can or cannot be posted.

There was even a new real estate thread started because they didn't like some of the 2023 real estate observations being posted here. This is extremely childish behavior, IMO.
It’s not being directed at you. Poor use of pronouns on my part. I am sorry.

And if you’ve seen, no one has been able to decide which observations aren’t allowed. We just say “this is antisocial” and then move on.

Old 06-18-2023, 10:11 AM

17,743 posts, read 9,202,314 times
jay, I agree with you that there are 3 options (overpay, continue renting, move) right now. But people should be allowed to express their frustrations about only having those 3 options.

Old 06-18-2023, 10:53 AM

23,570 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:

There is no part of it I do not understand, sir. You really think we would have been discussing default if our debt was still 50% of the GDP, the way it was not even two decades ago? Now it is significantly LARGER THAN OUR ECONOMY.

Old 06-18-2023, 10:59 AM

Quote:

1) Overpay
2) Continue renting
3) Move
There may be more or fewer options, depending on the buyer. Some of those additional options could include remaining in the home one already owns, staying with family or roommates, or simply lowering one's standards (condos don't seem as prone to the overbidding craze, for example). "Moving" or "Continuing renting" may not be feasible for all. And the best option out of those, will change from person to person.

Old 06-18-2023, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
There are plenty of people who also choosing not to spend 100k over asking on homes. I know folks who wanted to move post 2020 and they said forget it decided to stay put after seeing what they'd be paying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Well the people who chose to over pay are keeping the prices the way they are. If there was some sort of revolt against paying 100k over asking maybe prices would normalize again. Plenty of people weren't thrilled to pay 100k over asking but they did it anyways

This to both. A big part of the problem is the increasing number of those treating real estate as an investment vehicle vs. a place to live. We also saw that in the 2000s and it didn't end well, and likewise hurt a lot of people who weren't even direct participants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts