Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2022, 02:32 PM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I've noticed Asians tend to put out what I thought were lion statues on their lawn but I guess those are actually dogs:

https://dharmacrafts.com/products/fo...caAlYUEALw_wcB
Yes, those are Foo dogs. You get a male and female and they are supposed to protect the property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2022, 02:33 PM

5,109 posts, read 2,666,387 times
Legend has it that many of those dogs were owned by Foo Fighters and also happen to be huge Foo Fighters fans. But that may be just a rumor.

On a more serious note, most of the working class Euro immigrants had tacky decorations of some sort in front of their newly acquired homes. And not too long ago. There are also 4.5 billion Asians in the world, and most don't have those decorations.

Old 12-05-2022, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
The house right across from that one also has a dish hanging off the front. I personally just don't like the aesthetics of satellite dishes that are viewable from the front or sides of houses. If you must, find a way to conceal it out back or behind a bush somewhere. They are an eyesore in my opinion.
I agree. Put it in the back where it isn't seen. Otherwise it looks trashy.

Old 12-05-2022, 02:43 PM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
Some people think flags look tacky hanging outside the home.

Old 12-05-2022, 03:06 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,766,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
The house right across from that one also has a dish hanging off the front. I personally just don't like the aesthetics of satellite dishes that are viewable from the front or sides of houses. If you must, find a way to conceal it out back or behind a bush somewhere. They are an eyesore in my opinion.
But people aren't putting those up on houses themselves. itsthe cable guy. From what I understand they place it where you can get the best reception. It isn't attractive but I never really notice it. Maybe because I'm from Hyde Park.

Wouldnt bushes and trees be a detriment in inclement whether?

Old 12-05-2022, 03:09 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,766,606 times
Quote:
Some people think flags look tacky hanging outside the home.
I like the flags of Ireland, Italy, Trinidad, China, Jamaica etc. The American flag is kind of tacky to hang up IMO.

Because, we know what country we're in. It seems kind of pointless and like a wanna-be car dealership. Ethnic flags are more of a personal, informative and unexpected decoration.

Old 12-05-2022, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
But people aren't putting those up on houses themselves. itsthe cable guy. From what I understand they place it where you can get the best reception. It isn't attractive but I never really notice it. Maybe because I'm from Hyde Park.

Wouldnt bushes and trees be a detriment in inclement whether?
The Cable guy will put it where you tell them to. There's a street in Norwood and I swear every house has one either on the roof or on the side. I cringe when I drive down that street. I think there's a couple of chain link fences, too.

Old 12-05-2022, 03:15 PM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
Hmm I dont agree on the American flag being more tacky than any other flag. If anything you might want to show some pride to the US if that's the country you're living in. Many fly two flags together- one for US and one for whatever their origins are. If someone hangs JUST that flag then it seems weird to me.

FWIW I don't have an American flag or any flag hanging from my house.

Old 12-05-2022, 03:17 PM

3,620 posts, read 1,840,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
The Cable guy will put it where you tell them to. There's a street in Norwood and I swear every house has one either on the roof or on the side. I cringe when I drive down that street. I think there's a couple of chain link fences, too.
I've seen some that are strategically mounted on something in the ground and then there is an ornamental shrub or bush in front, not totally blocking it but enough so you kind of have to do a double take to realize it is a satellite dish hiding behind there.

Old 12-05-2022, 03:24 PM

3,620 posts, read 1,840,863 times
Quote:
Hmm I dont agree on the American flag being more tacky than any other flag. If anything you might want to show some pride to the US if that's the country you're living in. Many fly two flags together- one for US and one for whatever their origins are. If someone hangs JUST that flag then it seems weird to me.

FWIW I don't have an American flag or any flag hanging from my house.
The other day I saw a house with one of those black and white checked racing flags. It was on a house that sits on a 25mph side street so I wasn't sure if the person has it out as a joke as if to say hey slow down this isn't a drag strip or maybe they are a racing fan?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts