Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2021, 08:51 AM

15,804 posts, read 20,532,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Growing up in more of the suburbs seeing deer was pretty rare but then when I move to a more rural area it was much more common. Now seeing dear isn't that big of a deal. However, in the Berkshires I saw Bears twice. Now I live in Connecticut and supposedly there's a bobcat somewhere in town.
I feel the wildlife population even inside the suburbs has really exploded in the last decade. I see all sorts of animals inside 128 in fairly dense areas that i never saw when i was growing up.

Now, it's really not a big deal to see deer, turkeys and foxes/coyotes running through my yard in the evening and i'm still right on the I95/128 belt. I've even seen Bald Eagles as there is a nesting pair at the pond about 200 yards from me.

I stuck a trail camera in the yard and it's pretty amazing what sort of animals i've managed to capture on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2021, 09:14 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,345,484 times
The OP is presenting herself as a "mega-wokester", who is so convinced of the rectitude of her mode of living that she can only protect it by imposing some of it on everybody else.

She is almost certainly headed for major disillusionment in later life.

Old 06-01-2021, 09:30 AM

15,804 posts, read 20,532,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
The OP is presenting herself as a "mega-wokester", who is so convinced of the rectitude of her mode of living that she can only protect it by imposing some of it on everybody else.

The OP did nothing of the sort.

Old 06-01-2021, 10:13 AM

12,493 posts, read 9,570,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I feel the wildlife population even inside the suburbs has really exploded in the last decade. I see all sorts of animals inside 128 in fairly dense areas that i never saw when i was growing up.

Now, it's really not a big deal to see deer, turkeys and foxes/coyotes running through my yard in the evening and i'm still right on the I95/128 belt. I've even seen Bald Eagles as there is a nesting pair at the pond about 200 yards from me.

I stuck a trail camera in the yard and it's pretty amazing what sort of animals i've managed to capture on it.
There are certainly homes in next-door Newbury but they're mostly on larger lots, interspersed with salt marsh, farms and forest... funny you should say, but this morning I was getting gas near the village green when a red fox sprinted across the road right in front of me - I haven't seen a fox in ages and was psyched!

Old 06-01-2021, 12:24 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,278,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I don't have excessive money. I realize I am a member of society and with that comes obligations to contribute to a functioning society. Taxes are part or that obligation. Compared to most western democracies our taxes are very modest. Unfortunately, they are far too much skewed to be wasted on imperialism instead of what they should be, like infrastructure and education and helping those in need. Some of those taxes are used on schools, or health, and some to help private landowners with land management.

You are commenting without knowledge of Mass. As in, you were complaining about lack of wanton waste laws. We have them here in Mass. Plenty of other things you said don't apply to Mass, such as an open season on coyotes. Again, it's not an open season in MA. You may not want to provide more misinformation as they asked about MA not VT.
The OP appreciates my input and understands why I am mentioning the state of VT laws. Since you and I aren't on the same level, may I suggest you skip over my posts. It is very obvious you are "baiting" me again. BTW, GO FUND ME is a great website if you want to help the needy because you give what you can afford and can post your real name. Everyone should see what a kind, giving person you are. It is nice to help people in need as long as it doesn't affect people that are struggling.

Old 06-01-2021, 12:25 PM

2,279 posts, read 1,345,057 times
Quote:
They get lean, healthy, chemical free meat and experience the outdoors and learn nature while doing so.
How do you know they are healthy? You have no idea where this animals feed and what disease they have. The testing is way more rigorous in a slaughterhouse. Where, btw, they typically meet a much nicer way of dying than 99.99% small operations hunting and farming.

Old 06-01-2021, 12:35 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
How do you know they are healthy? You have no idea where this animals feed and what disease they have. The testing is way more rigorous in a slaughterhouse. Where, btw, they typically meet a much nicer way of dying than 99.99% small operations hunting and farming.
They do test and monitor wild harvested animals. Regularly. That is one of the reasons in person checks are done for some seasons; in addition to demographic information. And they're feeding on wild plants. Not feed. No steroids. Nothing not natural. The meat is far leaner.

And I don't agree a slaughterhouse, having visited several and watching the operation, seeing the panic and the bolt gun to the head, and seeing a life on a feedlot, is nicer than living wild and being harvested by a hunter.

And plenty of slaughterhouses get sick animals. Culls from organic operations that have infections. Downer cows forced to their feet. It's quite common.

Last edited by timberline742; 06-01-2021 at 12:50 PM..

Old 06-01-2021, 01:09 PM

7,928 posts, read 7,825,070 times
Eh on a side note western mass doesn't have slaughterhouses and that's kinda a bad thing.

Basically the issue is that in order to sell meats if it is off site it has to be packed and processed. Some places send meats across to Vermont or NY. But that means interstate commerce and that means USDA inspection. That means more time and money logistically. CISA has talked about this for years. I actually live not far from a farm that can pretty much get you a cow if you want one it's the SNL skit come to life.

I'm not saying the meat industry is a clean one but distribution channels can be blocked making it harder to do anything. Always look at what is the middleman in any industry. I can consider vegetarianism to a point but I rather see lean meats than some $2 fast food hamburger.

My neighbor free ranges chickens...often times on my lawn. I don't mind because I usually get about a dozen eggs ever few weeks. They can really scratch the heck out of things that's for sure. Go crazy after that spaghettis squash.

Old 06-01-2021, 01:18 PM

2,279 posts, read 1,345,057 times
Quote:
They do test and monitor wild harvested animals. Regularly. That is one of the reasons in person checks are done for some seasons; in addition to demographic information. And they're feeding on wild plants. Not feed. No steroids. Nothing not natural. The meat is far leaner.

And I don't agree a slaughterhouse, having visited several and watching the operation, seeing the panic and the bolt gun to the head, and seeing a life on a feedlot, is nicer than living wild and being harvested by a hunter.

And plenty of slaughterhouses get sick animals. Culls from organic operations that have infections. Downer cows forced to their feet. It's quite common.

They could be feeding on landfills, they could be feeding on unknown contaminated sites of any sorts. They could be drinking polluted water, you have no idea of any of it and none of this is being tested because it wouldn't make any sense to test it. You only find exactly what you are testing for.
For instance studies show that eating hunted meat increases the level of lead in human bodies by 50%, the lead is leeching from the bullet. This is not something hunted animals are tested for on a routinely basis.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...mmunition-ban/

Most animals slaughtered in the US are not killed with a bolt. Neither pigs nor chickens are killed with a bolt in industrial slaughterhouses usually.

Second most small operations are carried out in an unprofessional way. Is not that the person doing the killing is evil is that they are not very good and they mess up very often. I have personally witnessed this countless times. In a slaughter house things work in a precise way and are much easier to fix, see the work of Temple Grandin.

Old 06-01-2021, 01:18 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
There aren't many usda slaughterhouses in Mass at all. It's an issue. Westport, I think, was nailed recently too for some horrific animal treatment. Misuse of a bolt gun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts