Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2021, 04:37 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,302,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I love it when someone has a different opinion than someone else and the rebuttal they get is, oh you must not get out much. Lol. Well technically no one was supposed to have gotten out much this past year.
I love it when people say factually incorrect things and then try to shield their being wrong by calling it an opinion.

Not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2021, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLIER View Post
You stated it doesn't make sense, but yet you understood what I was saying. No need to Potato, potatoe. I'm sure everyone else understood.

I'm glad you mentioned that MA banned trapping beavers. There is also something called a "beaver baffle", that allows the beavers to stay but still allows the water to flow through the dam. They will move out on their own. I had one put in by the state for free. There is always a humane way to harmoniously live with wildlife.
And those baffles are both expensive and rarely work very well. They plug frequently and problem animal control agents are hired anyway.

Which is why they are generally not promoted in many states.

And no, I didn't say mass banned trapping beavers. I said question one all but eliminated recreational trapping, which is something very different.

Old 05-31-2021, 04:42 PM

82 posts, read 77,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
Don't waste your time. Not gonna find 10 acres on which to build a wildlife sanctuary. Right now I see one lot, well under an acre, for $850K.
Oh my! Yeah, well we definitely can't afford that!

Old 05-31-2021, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaloop View Post
NYLIER, that really STINKS! I am so sorry you are dealing with all that nonsense. What a terrible way to live, to have to listen to someone shooting guns all day long. My god, what good is freedom if it isn't for everyone?? The guy shooting certainly doesn't care about your freedom to enjoy quiet... not even on a holiday!?!

What your are experiencing is the exact thing we must avoid at all costs. These are the horror stories that are forcing us to have to do research day and night. If I had hunters disrespecting my property like that, I might have to buy a gun. Do "stand your ground" laws apply in VT?

That's terrible about the trapping on public lands. So any random hiker can come across a poor, suffering animal caught in a trap. But heaven forbid they rescue that animal! It is against the law to touch someone else's traps. Well honestly, screw the law. If I ever see an animal in distress I am helping them! If it lands me in jail, so be it.

If we find our quiet land in the country, I will certainly let you know if any abutting lots are available. You are the kind of neighbor we would love to have.

A random hiker is very unlikely to come across a living trapped animal. Sets are done away from paths. Traps (conibear and leghold or box traps) are very expensive and they get stolen often.

For obvious reasons drowning sets (considered one of the most effective and humane methods) are rarely run across by people.

Old 05-31-2021, 04:45 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,297,472 times
Quote:
Although many consider them to be pests, beavers are actually a keystone species that play a critical role in the wetland ecosystems. They are really fascinating animals. For anyone who is interested, here is a good little webpage: https://www.nps.gov/articles/north-a...ver-acadia.htm

Trapping them underwater where they drown is terribly inhumane and sickening. Unfortunately I've seen the traps with dead beavers in them and the poor creatures die biting and clawing at the cage, with their poor dead grimacing faces frozen in time that way.

We humans are the worst kind of monster to our wildlife brethren. We should be ashamed at how we treat other living things. They don't deserve it. We don't deserve them. I digress again.
They also mate for life....something even most humans can't do. Nothing should be killed that mates for life.

Old 05-31-2021, 04:53 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,297,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
And those baffles are both expensive and rarely work very well. They plug frequently and problem animal control agents are hired anyway.

Which is why they are generally not promoted in many states.

And no, I didn't say mass banned trapping beavers. I said question one all but eliminated recreational trapping, which is something very different.
I have a baffle and it works fine. Maybe I'm one of the rarities. I didn't pay a penny for it. Some people are too lazy to take the time to research a humane way to solve a problem. They would rather kill an animal that mates for life.

You seem to know a lot about trapping animals. Anything else I worded wrong in my posts?

Old 05-31-2021, 04:58 PM

5,252 posts, read 2,851,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
You apparently don't get out much. A big slice of rural Vermont cuts and splits their own wood for heat. They have a garden and do a lot of home canning. A deer or two butchered in the freezer every fall. Ice fishing in the winter. They might qualify for Catamount Health (Vermont's Medicaid). Your narrative in no way aligns with the reality.
Although I highly doubt you spend much time with the rural poor, I will let you tell me the reality. What exactly is the "big chunk" of Vermont that is living in rural poverty and has to live off the land and hunt for meat?

From Vermont Office of Rural Health:

Selected Social Determinants of Health for Rural Vermont

4.4% of Vermont residents lack health insurance (Kaiser, 2019). According to the USDA Economic Research Service, the average per capita income for Vermont residents in 2019 was $55,293, with the rural per capita income at $53,453. The ERS reports, based on 2019 ACS data, that the poverty rate in rural Vermont is 10.1%, compared with 10.2% in urban areas of the state. 7.7% of the rural population has not completed high school, while 6.6% of the urban population lacks a high school diploma according to 2015-2019 ACS data reported by ERS. The unemployment rate in rural Vermont is 2.6% and the rate is 1.9% in urban Vermont (USDA-ERS, 2019).

Last edited by bostongymjunkie; 05-31-2021 at 05:11 PM..

Old 05-31-2021, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLIER View Post
I have a baffle and it works fine. Maybe I'm one of the rarities. I didn't pay a penny for it. Some people are too lazy to take the time to research a humane way to solve a problem. They would rather kill an animal that mates for life.

You seem to know a lot about trapping animals. Anything else I worded wrong in my posts?
You didn't pay a penny for it. The state did (most likely), i.e. taxpayers, instead of a free solution which would have generated income for someone that needed it. That's ok, but its a trade off.

I wouldn't say I know a lot. I know some. I follow the markets occasionally still. I know the right size trap for most animals, and the right set. Natural resource conservation and sustainable use is a field of mine, as are the sociological differences between populations and their relationships with nature.

And yes, there is, but I won't bog you down in details.

Last edited by timberline742; 05-31-2021 at 05:17 PM..

Old 05-31-2021, 05:16 PM

26,681 posts, read 29,014,737 times
Quote:
Oh my! Yeah, well we definitely can't afford that!
You probably don't realize it but most of the people posting here are from the eastern part of the state, the part that those of us from western Mass simply refer to as "Bawston."

You said in your first post you were interested in western MA and I do think it's a much better bet for you. Prices in the eastern part of the state are sky high. Northampton, in western MA has become a lot more expensive than it used to be due to decades of New Yorker influx, but it's still cheap compared to eastern MA.

FCMA is in western MA, I have lived in western MA most of my life, and I think maybe one or two others are familiar with our part of the state. Believe it or not, many people in the Bawston area have never even been to this part of the state and a lot of them don't seem to know that it exists. They are very knowledgeable about their own part of MA and maybe other parts of New England too, by the sounds of it.

BTW, a town that I intentionally left out of my little list of WMass towns is beautiful Southampton. I mention it because, speaking of gun shots, I visited someone there last summer and when we sat out on her patio, I could hear constant gun shots in the background. She told me there's a shooting range just behind her woods. She's used to it. I would never get used to it any more than I could ever get used to constant noisy traffic.

Old 05-31-2021, 05:22 PM

23,986 posts, read 19,338,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
"Welfare trash" live in fairly dense towns. In rural northern New England, you're miles from McDonalds and chain pizza places. You're not going to drive 30 miles to get the dollar menu.

That does seem true for the most part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts