Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2021, 06:40 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times

Advertisements

The issue with gun crime at least in Western New England is largely accountable due to the fact that there's a highly trafficking drugs for guns trade. Vermont hardly has any gun laws and this might not reach the news but Andy Vermont and Mass state police know about this. State police go up and down 91 constantly looking for people either with guns or drugs.

I'm far from as liberal as you can get but if you've got one stayed with hardly any laws on the books next to two other states that have much stricter laws it's not going to look good.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2021, 07:20 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Holyoke looks like a bomb dropped on it.

Old 04-23-2021, 07:43 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Holyoke looks like a bomb dropped on it.
only portions of it

Old 04-23-2021, 08:12 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
Maybe Troy in same category as Albany-- some hood, no match for Lawrence. It's a few miles north of Albany but Lawrence may be N of both. Syracuse, Rochester and Buffalo all have major hoods and all north of Lawrence, Albany and Troy.
Yes, these NY cities do have legitimate hoods and things there are very lifestyle based, but they also have their share of solid working class and middle class neighborhoods as well. Schenectady, Utica and Niagara Falls(yes, touristy, but also very industrial as well) can be thrown in there as well.

Old 04-23-2021, 08:23 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
I can' compare Lawrence to Albany not having been there. But i wouldn't either ever consign Albany to hood status. While hardly, upmarket , Albany has some very appealing areas in the city
Pretty much the whole southern central/western portion of the city is middle class, with the western northern half being so. For instance, this is still in Albany: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.6603...2!9m2!1b1!2i37

Old 04-23-2021, 08:44 AM

Some places can change. Lowell is mentioned quite a bit due to UMass but I would also argue Hudson NY has changed quite a bit. Change can take awhile and I don't think it should be top down. From what I've seen in springfield is there's a variety of non profits, neighbor groups and businesses that try to make for improvements. At ward representation also helped and school uniforms.

We can try to generalize what causes poverty. Job losses are obvious but the replacement is also a factor. Places aren't nearly as cut off as they were before with communications (internet and phone) being commonly available. I just read the book Gang Leader for a Day and it talks about the Robert Taylor complex in chicago. I don't think anything in New England comes even remotely close to that. I knew about Caprini Green but the long story is the lack of investment and maintenance cut people off. Try as I might but I think between non profits and religious groups there's a fair amount of outreach. What I tend to see now isn't an issue of work but it's seasonal work. There's nothing wrong with seasonal work and events as long as it's year round. If you have a place that focuses on one event and there's no backup (say New Orleans with Marti Gras) then it's famine time.

Old 04-23-2021, 10:38 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Some places can change. Lowell is mentioned quite a bit due to UMass but I would also argue Hudson NY has changed quite a bit. Change can take awhile and I don't think it should be top down. From what I've seen in springfield is there's a variety of non profits, neighbor groups and businesses that try to make for improvements. At ward representation also helped and school uniforms.

We can try to generalize what causes poverty. Job losses are obvious but the replacement is also a factor. Places aren't nearly as cut off as they were before with communications (internet and phone) being commonly available. I just read the book Gang Leader for a Day and it talks about the Robert Taylor complex in chicago. I don't think anything in New England comes even remotely close to that. I knew about Caprini Green but the long story is the lack of investment and maintenance cut people off. Try as I might but I think between non profits and religious groups there's a fair amount of outreach. What I tend to see now isn't an issue of work but it's seasonal work. There's nothing wrong with seasonal work and events as long as it's year round. If you have a place that focuses on one event and there's no backup (say New Orleans with Marti Gras) then it's famine time.
Well, Robert Taylor has long been demolished and Columbia Point, Mission Main, and Orchard Gardens came pretty close with an honorable mention to Franklin Hill. Columbia Point more or less was that. Heavily abandoned and lacking basic municipal services tby the time it was razed in the late 80s. In fact it was he first HOPE VI project nationwide-it was that dire.. it got federal monies before any CHA property did...

The closest thing now would be Bromley-Heath which just got approval to have a portion of it demolished and rebuilt with additional units and rejiggered street grid.

As far as nonprofits and stuff in springfield.Ultimately you need to reverse the normalized social dysfunction in a city I don't think Springfield is getting there. Rather its permanent status as impoverished has attracted the non profit and poverty-reliant industry...It depends on the local culture and quality of those orgs to see how effective they will be.

Old 04-23-2021, 12:02 PM

Poverty pimps are certainly around, no argument there. As development came in it started to displace other things. Cleanslate for example left for Hartford. Strip clubs closed, empty buildings coming down etc. From the tornado in '11 to now the sense that people have to move has been there. I91 work was about two years of noise which kicked out anyone sleeping, peter pans old terminal left and wayfinders is by union station. The local list for public housing was eliminated and they aren't making more public housing in the city. If you want to get rid of crime get rid of cash, get rid of dead ends, enforce parking, put in more cameras and lights, maintain buildings and put in activities.

Keep in mind with robert taylor is that they didn't really put anything there after it was taken down. Springfield took down public housing for the south end community center and those there had to leave.
https://www.wamc.org/post/low-bid-su...mmunity-center

Old 04-26-2021, 06:58 AM

2,365 posts, read 1,850,107 times
How far west is stil northeast? Does NY count? Rochester,NY has some hood parts and that's at 43 north. I can't think of anything north of 43 that's hood whatsoever while still being in the US. PPl saying Lewiston Maine has to be joking. It's oneof the safer cities in the country. It's ugly sure but it's just a small, largely French Canadian mill town with not a lot going on. Far from a hood in fact it has low crime rates compared to all cities lol

Old 04-26-2021, 07:46 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
How far west is stil northeast? Does NY count? Rochester,NY has some hood parts and that's at 43 north. I can't think of anything north of 43 that's hood whatsoever while still being in the US. PPl saying Lewiston Maine has to be joking. It's oneof the safer cities in the country. It's ugly sure but it's just a small, largely French Canadian mill town with not a lot going on. Far from a hood in fact it has low crime rates compared to all cities lol
I think Rochester counts. Id agree Rochester is probably top 5 worst in the NE

My top 5 would go
1) Newburgh NY
2) Camden NJ
3) Central/North Rochester NY
4) Chester PA/Some parts of Lower PHL
5) A tie between Newark NJ, parts of Buffalo NY, parts of North End Hartford CT, and Lawrence MA.

However, I don't think Ive ever felt more unsafew then I did around PHL in Chester and parts of the outer areas of the city of Philadelphia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts