Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2021, 10:59 AM

2,367 posts, read 1,854,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I think Rochester counts. Id agree Rochester is probably top 5 worst in the NE

My top 5 would go
1) Newburgh NY
2) Camden NJ
3) Central/North Rochester NY
4) Chester PA/Some parts of Lower PHL
5) A tie between Newark NJ, parts of Buffalo NY, parts of North End Hartford CT, and Lawrence MA.

However, I don't think Ive ever felt more unsafew then I did around PHL in Chester and parts of the outer areas of the city of Philadelphia.

Rochester is just very far north. It's further north than anyplace in MA or any other major NY city.

If you're putting PA and NJ in the mix (Which I don't consider NE at all), then Rochester shouldn't crack the top 5. Putting Rochester above Philly hoods or Chester PA doesn't feel right to me. I can't take that seriously. I would put Buffalo above Rochester too, even though it's maybe a better more lively city overall it's still higher crime and more blighted by far.

Lawrence doesn't really belong anywhere on a top 5, especially when you're throwing in NJ and PA hoods. There are some jarring streetscapes and a sophisticated drug market there, but it's just not as violent anymore compared to hoods across the country. The drug trade in northernNE is pretty much locked down. Way more people are dying from the drugs themselves than from 'turf wars' in Lawrence. It's been that way for at least a decade
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2021, 11:34 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Rochester is just very far north. It's further north than anyplace in MA or any other major NY city.

If you're putting PA and NJ in the mix (Which I don't consider NE at all), then Rochester shouldn't crack the top 5. Putting Rochester above Philly hoods or Chester PA doesn't feel right to me. I can't take that seriously. I would put Buffalo above Rochester too, even though it's maybe a better more lively city overall it's still higher crime and more blighted by far.

Lawrence doesn't really belong anywhere on a top 5, especially when you're throwing in NJ and PA hoods. There are some jarring streetscapes and a sophisticated drug market there, but it's just not as violent anymore compared to hoods across the country. The drug trade in northernNE is pretty much locked down. Way more people are dying from the drugs themselves than from 'turf wars' in Lawrence. It's been that way for at least a decade
eh...are we looking at entire cities or neighborhoods. Methodone mile isn't looking good by any measure these days.

Old 04-26-2021, 11:35 AM

12,164 posts, read 8,010,150 times
Quote:

Oh I thought this thread was Northeast in general. If it is just New England, I think it would be like Lawrence, Holyoke, Springfield, Hartford and Bridgeport i would say.

Im really not too familiar with Lawrence. Ive seen it once and it was a little scary but im sure some NJ PA NY neighborhoods wipe it away

Old 04-26-2021, 01:06 PM

2,367 posts, read 1,854,799 times
Quote:
Oh I thought this thread was Northeast in general. If it is just New England, I think it would be like Lawrence, Holyoke, Springfield, Hartford and Bridgeport i would say.

Im really not too familiar with Lawrence. Ive seen it once and it was a little scary but im sure some NJ PA NY neighborhoods wipe it away

I'm not sure the exact purpose of the topic. I thought it was the most geographically northern hood in the northeast. So not the most hood place but the most northern place that still passes the hood threshold. None of the places in the OP would pass that threshold. You can meet some hood people in those cities but they are overwhelmingly non hood.

Nashua is literally been Money magazine's #1 best place to live in 2019. Can you get any less hood than that?

Lawrence is definitely hood just not a warzone. Places like Wilmington DE or Chester PA are gonna have 3x violent crime rates and 5x homicide rates than Lawrence year in and year out.

Old 04-26-2021, 01:21 PM

2,279 posts, read 1,341,869 times
Quote:
Lawrence is definitely hood just not a warzone. Places like Wilmington DE or Chester PA are gonna have 3x violent crime rates and 5x homicide rates than Lawrence year in and year out.
In 2019 there were 8 cities in MA alone with an higher violent crime-per capita value than Lawrence.
https://thisweekinworcester.com/fbi-...massachusetts/

Old 04-26-2021, 01:51 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,691 times
Quote:
Nashua is literally been Money magazine's #1 best place to live in 2019. Can you get any less hood than that?
Nashua is only ‘hood’ in the minds of New Hampshirites who have never lived outside of their leafy 2 acre min towns. Yes, some sections of town can be sketchy (e.g., the ‘tree streets’), but overall it’s a safe middle class city.

Old 04-26-2021, 02:05 PM

2,279 posts, read 1,341,869 times
Nashua violent crime rate is lower than the average of NH...

Old 04-26-2021, 03:55 PM

9,093 posts, read 6,314,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Nashua is only ‘hood’ in the minds of New Hampshirites who have never lived outside of their leafy 2 acre min towns. Yes, some sections of town can be sketchy (e.g., the ‘tree streets’), but overall it’s a safe middle class city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
Nashua violent crime rate is lower than the average of NH...
I actually looked at buying in Nashua when I started looking to move from Mass to New Hampshire. I could not get a couple of sellers to budge on their prices. Eventually the size of my down payment increased. The towns I could choose from increased and then I landed in one of those leafy 2 acre towns via a foreclosure. I certainly could have been happy with a SFH in Nashua but now I have more land to play with.

Old 04-26-2021, 04:42 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,766,606 times
Quote:

1. NJ and PE arent the NE at all?? Lol, thats insane.

2. Lawrence's drug traffic and drug deaths is reason alone for #5/6 that's a major part of any hood. Lawrence thrives off a drug and welfare culture and it oozes that. Lawrence has incredible name infamy given its location and size.

Old 04-26-2021, 04:44 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,766,606 times
Quote:

Waterbury before Holyoke.

Hartford
Bridgeport
Lawrence
Springfield
Waterbury

I'm pretty certain on that 5

After that it gets murky quick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts