Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2021, 12:08 PM

23,569 posts, read 18,672,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
Detroit doesn't have abandoned lots everywhere
And when were you last in Detroit???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2021, 12:23 PM

2,279 posts, read 1,339,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
And when were you last in Detroit???
3 weeks ago

Old 04-28-2021, 12:44 PM

Quote:
3 weeks ago
Did you leave downtown?

Old 04-28-2021, 01:06 PM

9,070 posts, read 6,302,894 times
Quote:
I think is quite a lot empty. Detroit doesn't have abandoned lots everywhere this city seem to have abandoned lots everywhere (satellite view).
Some of us call that "open space", room to stretch one's arms out. Good for social distancing too!

Last edited by AtkinsonDan; 04-28-2021 at 02:32 PM..

Old 04-28-2021, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Did you leave downtown?
Of course I wasn't there 3 weeks ago! I even wrote "satellite images".

I was just saying that it seems this town is more empty. I wasn't saying Detroit is a paradise.
Chill man, you are always so confrontational on a personal level.

Old 04-28-2021, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Some of us call that "open space", room to stretch one's arms out Good for social distancing too!
It's just a sign that a city isn't thriving. Not saying it's bad from other point of view. Where I live I cannot see any of my neighbors when leaves are up, so I understand what you mean

Old 04-28-2021, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Of course I wasn't there 3 weeks ago! I even wrote "satellite images".

I was just saying that it seems this town is more empty. I wasn't saying Detroit is a paradise.
Chill man, you are always so confrontational on a personal level.
You were not clear at all, you came across as though you relied on satellite images for East St. Louis but not Detroit. I actually have been to Detroit within the past few years, and can tell you that it DOES have many vacant lots. Like a LOT of them. The city is notorious for that anyway, to say otherwise indicates that you know better than its reputation. Anything perceived as "confrontation" was unintentional, but I try to address bad information when I see it posted and there is all kinds of that on this forum.

Old 04-28-2021, 07:23 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,808,396 times
Eventually I might go to detroit. It's a sad case there's no way around it. I mean it did have quite a number of people and was known for having so many autojobs. This movie was pretty good on it although it's been 11 years
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detropia
This is a pretty good video and makes a good point
https://youtu.be/joMysMDHdb4?t=183

The new Cass tech is right across from the old one. Oddly it reminds me of the new Putnam vocational in springfield. The old cass tech was demoed in 2011.

The trouble with detroit is frankly in terms of size it's huge. Detroit is 142 sq miles. How big is that..here's some facts

Boston 48.4 miles
NYC (all boroughs) 302 (manhattan 23, staten island 102, queens 178, bronx 57, brooklyn 97)
Denver 155

It isn't the biggest city nor is it the highest density. Density is about where springfield is but with about 4.5 times the size.

Reguardless of where it is when you start losing population things just get bad to worse. It's really hard to prop up a place when there's a decline. We can debate what is wealth and income and ownership but we can't really debate what a decline looks like. Not to repeat Rodger & Me but the losses obviously caused an exodus of people. Dan Gilbert can help to a point (Quicken loans) but it depends. Cheap places do have a fair amount going for them as housing is going up. They also have some of the best access to fresh water in the world. The logistics of running a place that is all over add up. One theory of how the soviet union fell was that they frankly couldn't afford to do everything due to their size. When you have to close a school due to population declines that's a very hard decision. When businesses close due to a lack of foot traffic. When churches close due to few parishioners etc. Some people really do want to preserve poverty. I've met poverty pimps, they are real.People complain when property prices drop and now some complain when they go back up again?

Sometimes the problem isn't so much poverty but generational poverty and it can be hard to break that. I don't think there's anything wrong with renting a house or apartment in a short term. If you are single and say it's less than a decade. But if you go three or more generations I think it's going to be pretty hard to have a larger family if you still rent. International development is almost the same way as if you provide the basics (food, water, shelter, clothing) it makes it harder for an economy to really get going. No one can expect say have some kid doing some regression analysis for a nuclear power company, program heavily in R or become a mechanical engineer if there's no trade schools or colleges in the area let alone the businesses that would hire those skills. What happens is forms of aid say though government and non profits ultimately erode the tax structure and make it harder to operate without significant state and federal aid which means even less local control. I've met people in gateway cities that act as if the local government is somehow paying for the majority of the budget. Without state aid many local governments would have to make draconian cuts

On the topic of empty lots my old middle school was torn down years ago. It made way for the fields for the high school down the street. Population shifts meant they could put grades in other schools. So the lot might have appeared empty for a bit but it was later made into the field.

Old 04-28-2021, 08:03 PM

2,365 posts, read 1,850,974 times
Could put a vote for Yakutsk as the northernmost hoods on Earth

https://goo.gl/maps/GEezneLBVtu9LTE6A
https://goo.gl/maps/ijr3hERV88auEqcG6
https://goo.gl/maps/PzXpCAPruzdxdD5H6
https://goo.gl/maps/pVoZaWtprstqNaZS6
https://goo.gl/maps/vanePFsiC9V6q3t66

Old 04-29-2021, 07:33 AM

Quote:
You were not clear at all, you came across as though you relied on satellite images for East St. Louis but not Detroit. I actually have been to Detroit within the past few years, and can tell you that it DOES have many vacant lots. Like a LOT of them. The city is notorious for that anyway, to say otherwise indicates that you know better than its reputation. Anything perceived as "confrontation" was unintentional, but I try to address bad information when I see it posted and there is all kinds of that on this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts