Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2022, 08:32 AM

23,560 posts, read 18,707,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclel View Post
You are wrong on that. First, my post is relevant to a big swath of the Greater Boston area. There are a lot of affluent towns. Second, while there are fewer cash buyers in the less affluent towns, there are still a lot more than there used to be, and more importantly, reason 1) still holds. Supply is going to remain constrained because many folks are going to be dissuaded from moving if they cannot get a comparable mortgage rate.

Many will also walk away from their mortgages, realizing how much they effed up buying in this market. Others will have no choice. Cash buyers will shift back over to the high end towns, leaving the "ordinary" towns to the mortgage buyers. Also have you been watching the stock market the past few days? The cash on supply is evaporating, and we are likely headed towards a recession. The time to sell is NOW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2022, 08:34 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Not seeing much inventory on the market in my area, which is strange.

Old 05-11-2022, 08:38 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,198,277 times
I guess I don't see it as that strange. The economy/real estate market is questionable and has been for a while.

It does seem like now is the time to sell but the problem is people don't have anywhere else to go unless they are moving to FL or something.

Old 05-11-2022, 08:41 AM

122 posts, read 81,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Many will also walk away from their mortgages, realizing how much they effed up buying in this market. Others will have no choice. Cash buyers will shift back over to the high end towns, leaving the "ordinary" towns to the mortgage buyers. Also have you been watching the stock market the past few days? The cash on supply is evaporating, and we are likely headed towards a recession. The time to sell is NOW.
I very much doubt we are going to see market declines that would warrant widespread foreclosures. The overwhelming majority of buyers put at least 20% down. The reality is that there are not enough SFHs to go around in the Greater Boston area.

Old 05-11-2022, 08:42 AM

someone paid 812k for this cape house in Harwich that isn't even near the beach:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7...6986630_zpid/?

2 years ago it would have been 512k.

Old 05-11-2022, 08:44 AM

Default re

Quote:
I very much doubt we are going to see market declines that would warrant widespread foreclosures. The overwhelming majority of buyers put at least 20% down. The reality is that there are not enough SFHs to go around in the Greater Boston area.
then people will have to move somewhere else I guess.

Old 05-11-2022, 09:21 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,073,498 times
Quote:
That’s the problem though, many first time buyers put down the bare minimum and are paying PMI because let’s face it, coming up with $150-200K down payment isn’t that easy. You’d be in a very difficult situation as a buyer who has overextended yourself if you suddenly drop to a single income and can no longer afford the mortgage while that FOMO $799K $100K over asking Weymouth cape is now only worth $550K.

Old 05-11-2022, 09:35 AM

coming up with 150-200k seems like something everyone does these days and sometimes I wonder how some people do it. However, i hear so many situations of people paying 2 million cash for a house. It truly makes me wonder about the value of the dollar these days. As expensive as things seem to be there are plenty of people who come up with the cash. We have friends who just paid 1.6 million for a home then added on a pool and an outdoor kitchen which was another 180k. They take plenty of vacations. Wifey doesn't work, takes care of the 3 kids...hubby's linkedin account just says 'equity sales' and i guess that's a field I should have gone into, lol.

Old 05-11-2022, 10:37 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:

It's ~ 30% cash buyers. With mortgages, half are at least 20% down. Down here in the economic wasteland, I'm sure there are lots of 3%-down and 5%-down first time buyers in places like New Bedford and Fall River. There's a lot more risk of short sales and foreclosures since the local economy is far more susceptible to high unemployment rates.

Old 05-11-2022, 12:24 PM

122 posts, read 81,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieWhitie View Post
That’s the problem though, many first time buyers put down the bare minimum and are paying PMI because let’s face it, coming up with $150-200K down payment isn’t that easy. You’d be in a very difficult situation as a buyer who has overextended yourself if you suddenly drop to a single income and can no longer afford the mortgage while that FOMO $799K $100K over asking Weymouth cape is now only worth $550K.
That is just not representative of this housing market. As another poster mentioned, there are 30% cash buyers and very very few put less than 20%. Most banks weren’t even giving out mortgages
that required PMI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts