Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2020, 09:56 AM

363 posts, read 514,216 times

Advertisements

My car was purchased used a little over a year ago, and had 4 new tires put on for the sale, but they are regular tires. The car has never driven in snow before. Are snow tires absolutely necessary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2020, 09:58 AM

8,496 posts, read 4,557,552 times
I know of few people that do snow tires for the winter. With the advent of all weather tires, this once common practice pretty much ended some 40+ years ago.

Old 10-23-2020, 09:59 AM

15,792 posts, read 20,487,959 times
It depends. Too many variables to really answer it definitively. You can hop in two different vehicles and have two different driving experiences based on the type of vehicle, the brand/model of the tire, and tread depth/wear level and your personal driving experience level.

Would I say they are necessary? No, but again this all depends on a number of variables. All-season tire tech has come a long way, and some vehicles are more capable in the snow than others. But still, you will notice a huge difference in traction running a $250+ high performance all-season vs a $50 off-brand tire.

Would they be preferred? Yes, they will make your life easier as they DO make a difference in traction, especially with turning and braking. SNow tires are n a different level compared to even the best all-seasons. If you can swing a spare set of rims and snow tires, go for it. If not, you can join a tire exchange program at a local tire shop that will swap your snow tires on and even store your original tires for the winter (and snow tires for the summer)

Also keep in mind MA is pretty good with snow removal, especially inside 128. We can get a major storm with 24"+ of snow and for the most part the roads are clear within hours of the storms end. If you have the luxury of being able to ride the storm out, you likely will never find yourself in a situation to need snow tires.

I will add that you do get what you pay for with regards to tires. You state that you put on a new set of tires simply because they are on sale. My experience is that cheaper tires tend to not perform well in critical areas like snow traction and hydroplane resistance. What brand/model are your tires specifically. That alone may suggest whether or not you need different tires if you plan on driving in deep snow. Would help to know the vehicle as well

Last edited by BostonMike7; 10-23-2020 at 10:21 AM..

Old 10-23-2020, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
It depends. Too many variables to really answer it definitively. You can hop in two different vehicles and have two different driving experiences based on the type of vehicle, the brand/model of the tire, and tread depth/wear level.

Would I say they are necessary? No, but again this all depends on a number of variables. All-season tire tech has come a long way, and some vehicles are more capable in the snow than others. But still, you will notice a huge difference in traction running a $250+ high performance all-season vs a $25 tire.

Would they be preferred? Yes, they will make your life easier as they DO make a difference in traction, especially with turning and braking. If you can swing a spare set of rims and snow tires, go for it.

I will add that you do get what you pay for with regards to tires. You state that you put on a new set of tires simply because they are on sale. My experience is that cheaper tires tend to not perform well in critical areas like snow traction and hydroplane resistance. What brand/model are your tires specifically. That alone may suggest whether or not you need different tires if you plan on driving in deep snow. Would help to know the vehicle as well

The tires were not because they tires were on sale-- because it was part of the previous owner of the car (my aunt) prepping the car for me for the sale of the car. The tires were not on sale. She also replaced break pads, battery and other stuff, not the cheapest ones.

I'm not sure the brand or model of the tires- I'll check them out later. The car is a somewhat tired Honda civic, but it's never driven in snow before (no rust, etc... it's from SoCal & was shipped here). I do not intend on driving in deep snow, but my skills driving in snow are likely poor since it's been over 15 yrs.

@MMS02760 TY. yeah the folks who recommended snow tires are old lol.

Old 10-23-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Also keep in mind MA is pretty good with snow removal, especially inside 128. We can get a major storm with 24"+ of snow and for the most part the roads are clear within hours of the storms end. If you have the luxury of being able to ride the storm out, you likely will never find yourself in a situation to need snow tires.
This makes me nervous- I grew up in/ learned to drive inside the 128 circle, but now live west in the boonies off 495, and anticipate much worse snow than by the sea.

Old 10-23-2020, 10:27 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,661,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pyg1a55 View Post
Are snow tires absolutely necessary?

No. Most cars now are equipped with all-season tires and most are either front wheel or all-wheel drive. Also, the more narrow the tire, the better it fares in wet and snowy conditions. If you don't have a front/all-wheel drive and you are new at driving in snow, you might consider them. But unless you're out in the boonies where they don't plow often, I don't think you would need them.

Old 10-23-2020, 10:27 AM

15,792 posts, read 20,487,959 times
If you are nervous, just get snow tires, especially if you are out west. I'd say based on your latest info of living out in the boonies, I would recommend them

They do make a difference. I'd even say go studded snow tire if you don't mind the extra noise. MA allows them to be run from Nov 1 through April 30th. Just find a local show with a snow tire changeover program (common)

Old 10-23-2020, 10:30 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,341,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
With the advent of all weather tires, this once common practice pretty much ended some 40+ years ago.
This is just wrong. All weather tires perform way way WAY worse than winter tires.

@OP
It depends also on where you live in MA. If you live in Boston urban area is one thing. If you live on a minor road outside 495 it's a very different thing.

Personally if it wasn't for snow tries I would be stuck at home a few days at year, with snow tires I am never stuck at home. Also the handling of the car is just not comparable and it makes you feel much much safer.

Old 10-23-2020, 10:32 AM

[quote=BostonMike7;59480396]IWhat brand/model are your tires specifically. /QUOTE]

Michelin Premier A/S
205/55R16 91H
Treadware: 640
Traction: A
Temp: A

Old 10-23-2020, 10:36 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,730,320 times
When I lived in MA I used all season tires so no snow tires. If I were going to, I would get them put on a separate set of rims for easy on and off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts