Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2021, 08:47 AM

875 posts, read 663,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
Some did, but most did not. Moreover, many of those who did not suddenly think they should be. If a worker wasn't worth throwing amenities at or allowing full remote pre-pandemic, they're not magically worth throwing amenities at or allowing full remote post-pandemic. Just because these people could work remote during the pandemic doesn't suddenly mean they can demand the kinds of benefits and working situation that high-demand/high-skill workers get if they're not high-demand/high-skill workers. They can be replaced with any of literally millions of qualified workers in places like India, China, or Malaysia who can and will do the same remote work for less pay, worse hours, and fewer benefits.

Everybody is ultimately going to make their own choices, but I'm seeing a lot of Dunning-Kruger playing out where there's workers who don't even realize they're a beggar demanding choices. The only edge these workers have over cheap foreign labor is that they're local and can be in an office, so playing their hand without the only strong card they held to begin with is just mind blowing to me.

We are already realizing this with some of our portfolio companies. Hiring out of state for more task based rather strategic input at reduced FTE cost, scaled back expansion plans ....win win.

And as before, those who have the in-demand high-value skill set have the bargaining chips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2021, 08:50 AM

15,797 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
OMG...i get it you want to be back in the office.

Some of you will appreciate this, https://youtu.be/Gxm7Hu-IHJs

I laughed, although most, if not all, of the people i know left their caves a long time ago.

Old 05-07-2021, 08:50 AM

16,400 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Some of you seem more obsessed on why people shouldn't WFH.

Old 05-07-2021, 08:51 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I laughed, although most if not all the people i know left their caves a long time ago.
Same. Like last summer.

Old 05-07-2021, 08:55 AM

779 posts, read 877,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Can't you just decline, or put a block on your calendar?

I'll admit, i'm making that statement from the position of "the boss" so it might be a bit out of touch. I remember years ago we had a customer with one employee that hated us so badly he made it a point to schedule a recurring meeting at 4-6PM on a Friday for about 3 months. He was in CA, so it was a 1-3pm meeting for them. We couldn't say no. It pissed me so much because ultimately they were in the wrong with the issue we were trying to address.

I'll never forget that one and it's affected how and when i make meetings in consideration for people even when i wasn't in charge.
I would block my calendar if it were me, but we are in e-commerce and working at a frenetic pace right now. So it's hard to say no if, say, we are modifying a promotion launching tomorrow and an update needs to be made in order to accomplish it. In theory, this should never happen, but it's happening more often and we are all just trying to do our best to play our roles and support the business.

Old 05-07-2021, 09:00 AM

779 posts, read 877,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I'm really hopeful that full FDA approval will help chip away at that ~30% who are reluctant/refuse to get the vaccine.
This is me and several friends I know. Granted, I had covid in March with no symptoms, so I was always planning to be at the back of the line when demand exceeded supply. But now with walk-in appts. available and full FDA approval right around the corner, I'll probably get it soon.

I'm still holding out hope that those who had covid will be considered fully vaccinated after one shot since studies have shown that the first shot basically acts as a booster. The second shot serves no purpose. I will likely only get one shot based on that research, but then I won't be considered fully vaccinated.

Old 05-07-2021, 09:21 AM

We actually have some employees who are out of state. I asked them when they'll be back or moving here and they said they're riding this out as long as possible to avoid paying rent.

Old 05-07-2021, 09:52 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,183,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
people who had cancer had to hold off on treatment when covid was at its peak. some people put off going to the hospital because of fear of covid and missed a cancer diagnosis that later killed them.
And my cousin went to the hospital for a cancer treatment, caught COVID there, and it killed him. What is your point?

Old 05-07-2021, 10:41 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Some people from my dept had the first in person filming interview yesterday in 15 months. They went to some location that wasn't at our office and everyone participating has been vaccinated. They wore masks and still made sure to be 6 feet apart. They were talking about it today in a meeting and it seemed like they were super careful about being 6 feet apart and wearing masks...I was kind of like, why? How do people ever expect to go back to an office normally if there was this much paranoia amongst people who have been vaccinated AND wearing masks and 6 feet apart. Someone else felt two of the people in the same room were too close together. Based on all this it seems my dept is not ready to be back in an office together anytime soon. I also realize i am just not as nervous about covid as others.

You work for a university, no? Regardless of personal feelings, you have to follow university guidelines. Even though all students at my university are tested twice a week and now, at this point, many of them have been vaccinated, we still have to observe the distancing requirements set by the university. This means no photos or video with anyone closer than 6 feet apart, even outdoors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
And my cousin went to the hospital for a cancer treatment, caught COVID there, and it killed him. What is your point?

My uncle was isolating because of cancer treatment. The one person who visited him was an asymptomatic carrier of COVID. Chemo was beating his cancer, but he died very quickly as COVID overtook him.

And speaking of delays, my pulmonologist has not been able to see me in over a year because he has been put onto COVID duty taking care of people with long haul symptoms. Normally, I'd see him twice a year due to lung damage from chemo.

Old 05-07-2021, 10:48 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Scheduling can be funny. Supposedly LBJ was a morning person and RFK wasn't. LBJ scheduled meetings first thing in the morning.

Had my 2nd Moderna shot a few days ago. I'd say it started feeling after 22 hours. Felt like you had a few drinks but no buzz. I could do things but I couldn't see myself going on a plane or running etc. A day after all gone.

I don't think anyone is being replaced with people from India at this point. Infrastructure isn't the same either.

In many places in Asia high speed internet is at work, not home. The Philippines is known for very slow internet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeaUPLSa1DY&t=393s

I'm not saying that the USA is the #1 fastest but at least we're in the top 20 for broadband and mobile
https://www.speedtest.net/global-index

India and Pakistan um no. south korea, China and Taiwan sure. Maybe it might be OK for email based but if you are doing anything of actual video/animation or audio those are much larger files and most companies aren't going to outsource it to something slow as a turtle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts