Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2020, 07:08 AM

295 posts, read 317,290 times

Advertisements

People over 50 represent like $8 trillion of economic activity. If they aren’t living normal lives until middle of next year then the economy isn’t going to fully recover. The major cities where there are major problems also account for quite a bit. What good is it to the economy if we start to open barbershops in the middle of nowhere with New York, California, Illinois all still shut down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2020, 07:40 AM

15,797 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Here's an idea.

How about we create a list of delivery services.

Groceries
Instacart
Panera Bread - it's started
Subway - its started
Peapod

Restaurant delivery
Ubur Eats
Postmates

Meal plans
Blue Apron

Etc

No. People don't want to discuss useful info like this. They just want to argue points back and forth that are a lot more global than should be being discussed on a regional board like this.

Looks like I picked a good weekend to unplug.

BTW, Kappy's is delivering alcohol too.

Old 04-13-2020, 07:48 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Lethality by demographics currently shows a .4% lethality rate for 40-49. Hospitalization rate much higher. 50-59 is at 1.3%. That's a significant portion of the working population.

What does September look like? Rich and Doug on Zoom from their eroding metrowest RE while gen Z and Millenials have their "Lord of the Flies" moment in the office? I don't know.

The testing is so poor that the numbers are very suspect for those two age demographics. A total failure of the public health function. It's impossible to do a rational risk assessment because the data is so poor. My opinion is the 40-49 mortality and hospitalization risk is most likely far lower but there's no way to know.

Old 04-13-2020, 08:11 AM

23,560 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Except that it’s a valid argument. Look at who is landing in the hospital. Not many under the age of 50. I’m 61. I’m benched until there is a vaccine or a successful containment program (which ain’t gonna happen in the United States). Any time I’m in a public place, I have no choice but to adopt germ-o-phobe behavior. I can’t be around people who don’t practice social distancing unless they’re immune and we aren’t antibody testing so I can’t identify immune people. A Millennial doesn’t have to behave that way. They just can’t visit their parents.

I’m affluent enough that I don’t have to risk contracting the disease. My girlfriend telecommutes and it’s unlikely she will be face to face in a work environment for months. The problem is that there are a huge number of at risk people who don’t have either of those options. The majority of jobs can’t telecommute. People live in multi-generational households because it’s what they can afford. The brunt of the risk is born by the lowest socioeconomic classes. Money and 21st century job skills give you choices.
There are far more people in high risk categories (be it age or whatever else) working essential jobs and who are a critical part of the economy (and in some cases for tackling this pandemic in itself), than many seem to realize. Last thing in the world I want is to infect my 62-year-old co-worker (or my 56-year-old co-worker with early onset COPD), with this virus that I may have picked up in a barbershop because me looking pretty is just so damn important. Or flip that around, infect my barber who goes home and gives it to his wife who happens to work in the nursing home. I try to space out and minimize my grocery trips, but bottom line we all need to eat at some point and delivery isn't available to all of us. But at least there, social distancing is possible. At my local grocery store, they sanitize the carts after each use and the limit the crowds. There is a plexiglass guard in front of all the registers separating you from the cashier, so risk is pretty minimal there. It's nothing like going to the barber. Every factor needs to be considered, which is why we need to listen to those in command with the greatest knowledge, and not the internet trolls.

Old 04-13-2020, 09:04 AM

12,866 posts, read 22,026,395 times
What's everyone doing for fresh air?

Early on in this process, the Somerville Community Path, which is right around the corner from me, was obnoxiously crowded. More so than rush hour on a work day in the summer. So I avoided it entirely (along with most parks), opting in favor of walking the side streets in neighborhoods nearby which were basically devoid of pedestrians and cars. The city realized that the Path was too crowded and posted signs urging distancing and publishing suggested walking routes online. People seem to have finally received the message and/or learned that the side streets are basically wide open for walking.

It's actually pretty enjoyable on nice days (not today). I'm seeing more of the city and nearby cities than I would have otherwise. Yesterday we walked by the old Powderhouse, and up through the Tufts campus which has great city/skyline views, and over to Alewife Brook which was pretty and generally devoid of people. on Saturday we walked through side streets down to the Harvard campus (also devoid of people) and zig-zagged our way back home through some pocket parks and side streets. It's easy to social distance (stepping out into the street to give other pedestrians wide berth), and it's great exercise. Plus I'm getting to see places I'd never see otherwise. It's probably the one think keeping both of us sane. So what's everyone else doing?

Old 04-13-2020, 09:18 AM

3,398 posts, read 1,549,967 times
How hard or easy is it to get delivery? there is doordash for an app. even if the restaurant does not deliever Doordash will deliver. I have heard its hard to get amazon fresh. My friend gets it and I told my mother to get it. You need to refresh the page every 15 minutes with amazon fresh.

Hows peoples luck with delivery?

I am 40 and i get nervous in the grocery store. I know going to a barber is risky but i figured if I am taking a risk at the grocery store is a barber worse? I think this week I will try some delivery services and get used to using them. I would never want to infect my mother thats why I do not dare visit her.

this might give some a laugh . Is this the future of going to the barber ? this is what they do in china at the barbers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyelx99_zFs

That takes skill!

Old 04-13-2020, 09:20 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Getting out as early as possible to beat the crowds.

Old 04-13-2020, 09:40 AM

12,866 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
How hard or easy is it to get delivery? there is doordash for an app. even if the restaurant does not deliever Doordash will deliver. I have heard its hard to get amazon fresh. My friend gets it and I told my mother to get it. You need to refresh the page every 15 minutes with amazon fresh.

Hows peoples luck with delivery?
In a nutshell? Delivery from restaurants is super easy as usual. My credit card includes a free "DashPass" which eliminates a lot of the delivery and service fees from Doordash. So we've been using that a lot. We've also been doing some pick-up from the restaurants that are doing a good job of ensuring distancing/safety. Particularly good at this is Old Magoun Saloon which has a big window opening directly onto the sidewalk. You can walk or drive up, and grab the food right from the window without setting foot in the restaurant. Dakzen is also great - they have a table set up right at the front door, so when you show up, they'll just hand it to you without having to go inside.

Grocery delivery? Basically not happening for me. I can't seem to find a slot ever. So I'm basically trying to go at extremely off-peak times (I'll be going today when the wind/rain are at their peak). I've also gone to the Star Market at North Station/TD Garden sometimes too. Parking on the street has been easy, it's fairly empty since it's not a very residential area, and they've been well-stocked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Getting out as early as possible to beat the crowds.
Great point. We've been avoiding the crowds too by either going early, or going late. Dinner time has been our favorite so far as the temps are still warm, there's still light, and fewer people are out.

Old 04-13-2020, 09:40 AM

3,398 posts, read 1,549,967 times
Quote:
I try and get out and walk everyday for an hour. I walk the minute man bike path in arlignton and lexington. its a bit crowded sometimes. If i go early its not as crowded. the biciclysts get in the way sometimes.

Exercise is a must for me. The vitamin D is good for everyone. I have a few options of where i can walk i can drive to a pond in woburn that has 3 miles of walking around the pond. Nothing releases stress like walking.

Old 04-13-2020, 09:57 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
Quote:
I've also gone to the Star Market at North Station/TD Garden sometimes too. Parking on the street has been easy, it's fairly empty since it's not a very residential area, and they've been well-stocked.
Just before all hell broke loose I had some time to kill before a movie at the new Arc Light (awesome) and I wandered into that Star to check it out. I expected a smaller store and was shocked when I took the escalator down. That place is huge!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts