Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2020, 07:03 PM

17,737 posts, read 9,192,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
The big spreader seems to be multiple-household get togethers. I don't see how limiting restaurants even further--without an industry-wide bailout, as other countries have done who have stricter rules--is going to help.
We're beyond the point of worrying about the economy. Shut it all down.

(Restaurants should never have been allowed anything but curbside pickup and delivery.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2020, 07:22 PM

17,737 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I think people have been cancelling their 'normal' Thanksgiving plans since August. And Christmas.
Yeah but that's not what they meant. Stay home, no guests/visitors.

Old 11-17-2020, 07:11 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
We're beyond the point of worrying about the economy. Shut it all down.

(Restaurants should never have been allowed anything but curbside pickup and delivery.)

No, not all of us have the luxury to not "worry" about earning a living. Are you unemployed?

Do you have data that indicates restaurants, particularly outdoor dining have been a major source of infection spread? I've not seen that.

Old 11-17-2020, 07:12 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I think people have been cancelling their 'normal' Thanksgiving plans since August. And Christmas.
Yeah, but they are going with scaled down versions.

Our typical thanksgiving plans got scaled down to a 10 person dinner. Trying to convince my wife we shouldn't go is like "But we can't not go to Thanksgiving!!". Funny, but 2 weeks ago when my family had a bday party we couldn't go then.....

I'm fine with skipping the holidays completely this year.....

Old 11-17-2020, 07:37 AM

12,865 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I'm actually looking forward to skipping Christmas and doing a very small Thanksgiving this year. We love our families and we'll gather in a larger group when we can - hopefully around Memorial Day.

One thing I'm realizing is that it seems many people, even in MA, don't have easy access to COVID-19 testing. We're doing a 5-person Thanksgiving this year with my Girlfriend's family in Vermont. We've been quarantining since last Thurs. and we're scheduled for COVID tests on Monday. I've had several conversations with friends in Southeastern MA and RI and they all seem to indicate that it's not easy to schedule a test without symptoms (with less than 2-3 weeks notice) or get into any of the free sites.

Both of our PCPs have encouraged testing without symptoms and our insurance covers it completely. The free sites nearby have a lot of availability and make it easy to schedule appointments. After not getting tested for much of July, August, September, we've begun doing it with regularity again before we see anyone we don't normally see and after we've done things like ride the T, going to a restaurant, being in a crowded grocery store, etc. Everyone should be able to do the same if they want to.

Old 11-17-2020, 07:53 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
No, not all of us have the luxury to not "worry" about earning a living.

Seriously.

But not worrying about the economy at all shows a complete lack of knowledge of public policy formation. Most everything is a cost benefit analysis. From large scale construction projects (I was part of an analysis of a large dam construction project, on the cost side were losses such as lost agricultural land, archaeological sites, social costs such as family relocation, and yes, lost lives... we had to put value on the lives that were inevitably going to be lost during construction... that's part of the analysis), to highway regulations, to public health mandates. There is a reason we don't have a 20 mph speed limit and drive tanks. Sure, that would save lots of lives! But the added costs don't offset the public safety benefits.

The lack of awareness by some is seriously getting annoying. I met a woman about 10 days or so ago who was like (paraphrasing): "I hope you're not actually going into work" and "I hope you're maintaining distance from people not in your bubble". Listen lady, when you're paying my bills, you can have me not go to work. And yeah, often enough my work involves working relatively closely with people I don't know (I had contact with 30+ people this weekend as part of the job). And no, its not shut down and even after the spring directives from Baker it wasn't shut down as it was considered essential. So cork it, lady, unless you're going to start writing me checks. Some of us aren't independently wealthy, and a small percentage of people in this world have the luxury of working from home.

Old 11-17-2020, 07:57 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
One thing I'm realizing is that it seems many people, even in MA, don't have easy access to COVID-19 testing. We're doing a 5-person Thanksgiving this year with my Girlfriend's family in Vermont. We've been quarantining since last Thurs. and we're scheduled for COVID tests on Monday. I've had several conversations with friends in Southeastern MA and RI and they all seem to indicate that it's not easy to schedule a test without symptoms (with less than 2-3 weeks notice) or get into any of the free sites.

This is very true. I'm hearing that the local stop the spread sites went from half hour waits to 4 hours over the past few weeks. And on /r/boston, Redditors were reporting that some sites that were supposed to be open until 7 or 8 were closing down at 4 due to hitting capacity. Not good.

We've even had people at work asking if they could pay for a spouse/partner or children to get tested at our site. We can sign up for testing the evening before, but some people are having a lot of trouble finding sites to get tested before Thanksgiving.

Old 11-17-2020, 07:58 AM

16,396 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Yeah, but they are going with scaled down versions.

Our typical thanksgiving plans got scaled down to a 10 person dinner. Trying to convince my wife we shouldn't go is like "But we can't not go to Thanksgiving!!". Funny, but 2 weeks ago when my family had a bday party we couldn't go then.....

Yeah i've noticed people are skipping certain events then still going to others. Every year we do a mass for my grandmother which involves going out to church and then going to a restaurant. We do the same thing for my grandfather and the past few years it's felt like a bit much. My aunt tried to organize the event for my grandmother about 2 weeks ago and I was like, WTF? She is a nurse at a busy boston hospital on top of this. Everyone told her they weren't going. However I know someone who said no to that event had a large party not too long ago for a baby.

We are having my parents over for dinner and my aunt. I would have been fine to have done nothing, but apparently people can't handle doing nothing. My mom and aunt wear a mask indoors, I will probably keep the windows opens as much as i can. I'm guessing there are people having larger events than we are which isn't good, but I know they're going to happen.

Old 11-17-2020, 08:02 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
I think we should all understand by now--any setting that's indoors featuring non-family members without masks, is to be avoided!

Old 11-17-2020, 08:06 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Seriously.

The lack of awareness by some is seriously getting annoying. I met a woman about 10 days or so ago who was like (paraphrasing): "I hope you're not actually going into work" and "I hope you're maintaining distance from people not in your bubble". Listen lady, when you're paying my bills, you can have me not go to work. And yeah, often enough my work involves working relatively closely with people I don't know (I had contact with 30+ people this weekend as part of the job). And no, its not shut down and even after the spring directives from Baker it wasn't shut down as it was considered essential. So cork it, lady, unless you're going to start writing me checks. Some of us aren't independently wealthy, and a small percentage of people in this world have the luxury of working from home.

And that same person is probably eating food cooked by/delivered by another person, watching tv or streaming content produced by people, using various items manufactured, sold and shipped by people. Who does she think does this, elves?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts