Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 11:49 AM

53 posts, read 177,780 times

Advertisements

I know! You don't hear that comparison too often!

Well, DH and I are ready to upgrade from our condo, and are looking for a kid-friendly community with lots of things to do for our toddler. Our budget is kind of modest by Boston standards - 550K to 600K (maybe a little more). A good commuter location is also important, since we are both consultants who might have to work in any (usually local) company at any given time. So far though, we have always been in places North of Boston, so commuting to Boston is not high in our criteria list. (but it could happen)

So, in order of importance:
- good schools
- home with yard, 4 BRs and at least 2 full baths (hopefully newer)
- location near major highways (in Boston north)

We have driven around a lot, and the two places we LOVE are Winchester (west of Rt 3) and Westford, and we have decided to concentrate on those two towns.

The thing is, as you can probably imagine, the homes in Winchester that meet our budget are nowhere near as 'nice' as the ones in Westford, and I love Westford's open green spaces and, I admit, the McMansions - but on the other hand, Winchester is a much more exclusive area, and since we live close to it now, we know how convenient and awesome the town is. We will also have a much easier time selling in Winchester when we eventually will sell (I think).

So - I was hoping for advice and information...

Also, could you tell me the absolute WORST thing about each of these towns? That would also help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 03:44 PM

18,718 posts, read 33,380,506 times
I live next to Westford. I'd say the worst thing (not being familiar with kid stuff) is the absolute car dependence. However, if the McMansions are appealing, I guess you've accepted total car dependence. I think Winchester is more urban/suburban. Westford is formerly rural-becoming-suburban.
Kimball Farms is still there! You just have to drive there to get in line for ice cream.
In your price range, you should be able to get just about anything you want in Westford, and certainly in Littleton.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:09 PM

40 posts, read 168,602 times
I live in Westford and for a toddler theres plenty to do and it's right off 495. I agree with brightdoglover b/c Westford is very car dependent but if you live in or near one of the older subdivisions like Nabnasset of Graniteville there are some restaurants and stores within walking distance. Overall I think Westford may be your best.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:13 AM

53 posts, read 177,780 times
Thanks everyone - thats what I guess we were thinking.

Can you tell me anything about how Westford is run - politics etc.? I love their website and how every thing is up on the web, and you can look at meeting minutes and all that, but is the town run efficiently? Are they short on money, or having money troubles? Are your town taxes going up?

Thanks again!

Old 04-29-2008, 12:16 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,945,596 times
I've not lived in either Westford or Winchester personally, but I do have some friends who live in Westford, and the owner of the company I work at lives in Winchester. I know they LOVE Winchester, and can't imagine living anywhere else. I'll send an email to my friends with some specific questions regarding politics, finances, schools, etc. It seems that so many MA cities and towns are laying off teachers and having budget issues, due to unions, health care costs, retirement plans, etc. but many of the more affluent towns have a higher than average per capita income, and the residents vote in whatever increases are necessary to make sure their city stays desirable. You already know that you can get waaaay more house for the money in Westford, as long as a daily commute into Boston isn't a consideration for you. Like I said, I'll get back to you with their comments on living there...

Old 04-30-2008, 02:45 PM

40 posts, read 168,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG001 View Post
Thanks everyone - thats what I guess we were thinking.

Can you tell me anything about how Westford is run - politics etc.? I love their website and how every thing is up on the web, and you can look at meeting minutes and all that, but is the town run efficiently? Are they short on money, or having money troubles? Are your town taxes going up?

Thanks again!
Well I don't know everything, but I do know that Westford does NOT have a single Mayor. It's run by a board of 5 Selectman. That's basically all I know, kinda sad b/c I live here!

Old 04-30-2008, 03:07 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,201,680 times
I don't know about the taxes but you do know that you don't have public sewage there...you have private septic tanks instead and I would check into trash to see if you need to drop off or if there is pick up service. Lowest taxes in the Boston area I believe is Marblehead.
Schools are good in Westford and more diverse than Winchester probably are with more down to earth people of every income bracket and you will defintely get more for your money there with lots of recreation. We looked at both areas as well and liked what I found in Westford for us much more than Winchester. It just wasn't us.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:11 AM

2,114 posts, read 4,915,323 times
I saw this thread a while ago and although I live in Winchester I didn't know how to respond because it seems like you already know the differences! haha

Ya, you got it. Winchester is denser and more walkable etc but is also more expensive. Westford is further out and more rural and you'll definitely get more bang for your buck when looking for a house. Yesterday on the front page of the globe there was a map showing where house prices have changed. Winchester and Westford were both examples and Winchester prices were way up whereas Westford was way down. So that 'bang for your buck' thing might be even more true now than a few months ago.

I really don't know anything about Westford but it seems like a nice town. Convenient to 495. Right near Nashoba Valley ski hill which is a complete joke but would still be cool to live near. If you are looking for a more rural feel Westford could be great but if you are working in Boston I wouldn't recommend it. If you are working in the northern suburbs either town should be fine for commuting.

Winchester has lots of great resources for kids (sports, music, art) through the rec dept. and the schools. There are actually a lot of parks and open spaces for a fairly packed town and the enormous Middlesex Fells Reservation is just next door. It is definitely pretty expensive and although 600k won't get you everything there are still plenty of houses under that.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:20 AM

2,114 posts, read 4,915,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
Schools are good in Westford and more diverse than Winchester probably are with more down to earth people of every income bracket and you will defintely get more for your money there with lots of recreation. We looked at both areas as well and liked what I found in Westford for us much more than Winchester. It just wasn't us.
Once again, puffle goes after Winchester. I guess I shouldn't be surpsied. Westford and Winchester are both 20,000 people and both 93% white. Average income of both is in 90ks.

I went to Muraco Elementary School in Winchester and graduated in 1999. It was probably more racially and economicly diverse than any school in Westford. Then again, it's easily the most diverse of the 5 elementary schools.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:53 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,201,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
Once again, puffle goes after Winchester. I guess I shouldn't be surpsied. Westford and Winchester are both 20,000 people and both 93% white. Average income of both is in 90ks.

I went to Muraco Elementary School in Winchester and graduated in 1999. It was probably more racially and economicly diverse than any school in Westford. Then again, it's easily the most diverse of the 5 elementary schools.
I am not "going after" Winchester...I liked it there enough, just not enough to live there. I don't think I am the only one in Ma. that has preferences of where they would rather live? If Arlington or Bedford came up instead of Winchester and Westford then the conversation would have been different. Shouldn't take it so personally...we are entitled to our opinions without being attacked for it especially since I didn't say anything bad about Winchester..just my personal opinion which you obviously don't agree with. Won't say another word about Winchester just for you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts