Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 06:56 PM

14 posts, read 88,009 times

Advertisements

Can people tell me their experiences with Westford, MA? We are moving their because we think it is a very pretty town, and because we have been told the schools are really good. I'm still nervous about moving to a new town, though. Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 08:53 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,201,045 times
Where are you moving from Coffeegirl? Like the name by the way. Westford was one of my top choices too based on what you get for your money and a great high school. Haven't spent much time there except for snowboarding and shopping. I live close by in Concord. Hubby wanted to be closer to the city with trains.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:49 PM

18,717 posts, read 33,376,773 times
I live near Westford, and can easily tell you it's a fine town on every level. Recreation, school reputations. accessibility to highways in every direction. If you're concerned with shopping, there appears to be plenty on the Littleton Rd. (Rt. 110) although it's not something I pay much attention to. A few good restaurants.

A friend of mine raised his son there, and said that there were a lot of higher-income kids at the high school, very materialistic. That's just a data point. Good luck- it's a great part of Massachusetts.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:02 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,201,045 times
Again coffeegirl, not knowing why you are making this move or where from all I can say is it is a pretty town with good schools like so many places are in Ma. Why have you singled out Westford from the rest? You also have Acton, Carlisle, and Concord that are very nice areas with great schools that are next to Westford and a little closer to the city if that matters.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:39 AM

5 posts, read 35,574 times
Default Westford Native

Hi There,
I am a Westford native and lived in Westford till my early 20's attending Westford schools and graduatiing from Westford Academy. Back then (1979) the town was entirely different, not in a bad way just smaller. It is a wonderful town to raise a family in and yes good schools that value their education. If you are planning on public schools and comparing towns Westford is a great choice. In comparing look closely as given the state aide factor in today's public school system in MA cuts are made and difficult choices have to be made. It is important to thoroughly check out each individual school in comparing towns.

There are alot of newer subdivisions in Westford, prices have softened here in MA like elsewhere so do your homework and check out the comps for the past 6 months.

Good Luck!

Old 02-21-2008, 10:50 AM

29 posts, read 189,371 times
We're also looking to move to Westford, a lot of great properties being listed now for very good prices. Glad to hear it's a nice town!

Old 02-21-2008, 11:30 AM

14 posts, read 88,009 times
Thanks everyone for your input. I only live a couple of towns away from Westford, but I always have a difficult time with change! Everyone has told us its a great town, so I am looking forward to it!

Old 02-27-2008, 08:25 AM

53 posts, read 177,768 times
Come on! No one has anything bad to say about Westford?!

I am looking in Westford too, and though I love it, here are some points which strike me:

1. The taxes on homes are much higher than surrounding towns (for example, Chelmsford has a much lower per 1000 tax. Granted, Acton on the "other side" seems much higher), and some of the assesments seem high for today's market. This is kind of troubling since Westford does have a pretty big "business" base.

2. Most homes have no public water or public sewer access. While this is not necessarily a deal-breaker, it is an additional hassle.

Anyone else?

Old 03-08-2008, 04:59 AM

5 posts, read 35,574 times
Default Westford info.

I have sold real estate for over 20 years; again being a native of Westford I can tell you the town has changed signifcantly.....Kimball's Ice Cream, which use to be just a small ice cream place, was one of the few places on rt. 110. Regarding assessments.......market value is based on comparable sold properties within a 6 month timeframe. The market is ever changing, when you purchase a property and town gets the info. and sees the sales price that is the time to submit for an abatment if the assesment is not inline with others. Towns asess property at intervals and base their pricing on a formula wihich isn't always necessarily reflective of current pricing. That is why I say DO YOUR HOMEWORK If you want to look up Mass Sales and compare current sales you can always go to the board of asessors but can also statewide lookup sales on the Warren Group's site. Zillow is not accurate.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:20 PM

18,717 posts, read 33,376,773 times
"Most homes have no public water or public sewer access."

I thought Westford was like Littleton- as a former farm town/area, there are a lot of private septic syste, but not well water. I think it's town water.
If one does buy a house with a septic system, ask for a Title 5 certification. If there isn't one, turn, run, and keep going until far away. Title 5 says that the septic system must pass certain standards any time a building permit is applied for, or if the house title changes. It must be the seller's responsibility/problem. If it says "Title 5 plan approved," that still means the system has to be upgraded by the buyer. You do NOT want to be involved in any of this.
I honestly thought more of Westford was on town sewage. I wouldn't want to deal with a well, though. Being in private septic isn't proof that the property is downscale or anything, just that the town used to be very rural.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts