Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 02:11 PM

4 posts, read 15,999 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Mass next month took a new job in Back Bay, Boston.

My wife and I have been looking at rental homes, we have found a couple of nice ones in Wilmington. After a whole bunch of goggling we still don't know much about it.
I have two daughters 8 and 10 so decent school is important.
I am planning to use rail for my commute, is that commute OK or arduous?
What is the town itself like? Town Center? Much town spirit? Good Community? Crime?

Just to give you an idea of the other areas we are looking at, Lexington, Concord, Acton, Littleton, and Winchester.

How does Wilmington compare to those? Similar?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 02:32 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingin08 View Post
I am moving to Mass next month took a new job in Back Bay, Boston.

My wife and I have been looking at rental homes, we have found a couple of nice ones in Wilmington. After a whole bunch of goggling we still don't know much about it.
I have two daughters 8 and 10 so decent school is important.
I am planning to use rail for my commute, is that commute OK or arduous?
What is the town itself like? Town Center? Much town spirit? Good Community? Crime?

Just to give you an idea of the other areas we are looking at, Lexington, Concord, Acton, Littleton, and Winchester.

How does Wilmington compare to those? Similar?

Thanks,
I don't know Wilmington all that well but it seems to me it's a bit more nondescript and less upscale than the others, certainly less upscale than Lexington, Winchester, and Concord. Acton is a nice town, close to Concord and with many of the same amenities but a little more down to earth.

The commute by car is a bit arduous because 93 is a parking lot and there's no easy or affordable parking in the Back Bay, but by commuter rail it's not so bad. It's about half an hour to North Station, the you've got to go from there to the Back Bay, which would be at least another 15 minutes or so.

Seems to me that that commute is easier than all the other towns you listed except Winchester, which is on the same train line closer in. But by the time you get to the station in town, get to North Station, and get to the Back Bay, it could easily be over an hour door-to-door.

Another option from the south side of Wilmington is to get the train at Anderson/Woburn, which has a big parking lot and more trains, at least between 7:30 and 9.

Why are you looking north? It might be better if commuting by train to the Back Bay to look south, on the train lines that go into Back Bay station, so you eliminate the trip from North Station to the Back Bay.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:46 PM

739 posts, read 2,185,750 times
I haven't lived in that area in a very long time but i grew up two towns over.
Holden125 has it pegged.

Wilmington is (was) less upscale than Winchester, Lexington and Concord by a lot. When I was growing up it was one of the blue collar, less developed, less status towns, with modest houses, and the schools weren't as good.

A lot has changed since then but the older perceptions remain. Lexington and Winchester are city busy, aside from being outrageously expensive in some cases, I wouldn't live there. You might find Wilmington friendlier or more low key if you don't require a snob location.

The public schools in Mass. don't have the extremes of some other parts of the country. They're on a narrower continuum. The poorer inner city schools have more social problems but the good ones aren't as good as people think, and the bad ones aren't as bad. Housing is expensive all over eastern Mass.

Old 02-02-2008, 05:49 AM

4 posts, read 15,999 times
Thanks for the Input, Snob Factor isn't a huge concern, down to earth is better. We really like Acton, We don't mind being somewhere that isn't as upscale, seems that is always reflected in premium rents. With the time frame we have nailing down a place to live is pressing. Winchester would work also, there doesn't seem to be much that comes up for rent for family size places however.

Rail Commuting is the plan, I don't like the idea of paying $375 a month for parking in BB. The stop that is closest to where I'll be working is Hynes on the Green Line. If I am looking at things right I would have to bus to Copley from there or walk about 7-8 blocks to get to the office, that sound correct?

We could look at southern spots also, we have mainly been looking at those northern towns because it seems they offer what we are looking for. Open for recommendations if anyone has any and we'll start looking. Less switching of trains to get where I am going would be great.

Old 02-02-2008, 01:56 PM

1 posts, read 5,391 times
We currently reside in Wilmington, with our 2 year old and 5 year old Lab. We have owned here since 2000. We have great Neighbors all with children in Wilmington Schools from kindergarten through H.S. We all chose to live her because of the schools, affordable housing and the ease of commute, a few of us commute to the city daily. There are 2 train stops with adequate parking -if needed. We live close enough to walk to one and it is great. We have never had any issues with crime. If I had to find one complaint it is there is no real town center, although they have an awesome July 4th Celebration and Spook-O-ween Parade. Some developments are in the works that will hopefully improve the community spirit.
I agree with the other posts on Lexington, Arlington, Cambridge, Winchester, Concord - they are very expensive. I work with someone that resides in Acton and she complains about the commute - you have to take RT2 through Concord and there are no trains from there.

Good Luck!

Old 02-06-2008, 12:07 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingin08 View Post
Rail Commuting is the plan, I don't like the idea of paying $375 a month for parking in BB. The stop that is closest to where I'll be working is Hynes on the Green Line. If I am looking at things right I would have to bus to Copley from there or walk about 7-8 blocks to get to the office, that sound correct?

We could look at southern spots also, we have mainly been looking at those northern towns because it seems they offer what we are looking for. Open for recommendations if anyone has any and we'll start looking. Less switching of trains to get where I am going would be great.
Rail commuting is the best idea going to that location. If you go into Back Bay station it's a block to Copley and you could hop on the Green Line (all except E train) for 1 stop, or walk it if you have a few minutes and it's nice out. There are only a few lines that go into Back Bay station. Some towns on those lines you might want to check out are Needham, Norwood, Westwood, Sharon and Walpole. Westwood is probably the most expensive of those. Another possibility is Franklin, which is a nice town but you're looking at about an hour into Back Bay station.

It's not clear what your budget is or what kind of house (big/new vs smaller but closer in) you're looking for. If you can afford to look at Lexington, Concord, and Winchester, you could probably do as well or better in any of these towns.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:24 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,275,515 times
Check out Arlington: very easy commute to the Back Bay. Nice town, good people, decent schools--it's next to Lexington.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:25 PM

6 posts, read 34,794 times
Default wilmington vs other towns

The other towns you mentioned compared to Wilmington.Those other towns are very conservative and stuck up.Alot of the people in Wilmington are more comfortable to talk to and less pricy to live in

Old 02-15-2008, 05:20 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,199,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dido View Post
The other towns you mentioned compared to Wilmington.Those other towns are very conservative and stuck up.Alot of the people in Wilmington are more comfortable to talk to and less pricy to live in
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????

Old 02-15-2008, 11:40 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,275,515 times
I heard that Wilmington was having some water issues, as in high levels of unsafe elements. That was a couple of years ago, though. Maybe the issue is cleared up now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts