Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2010, 01:53 PM

5 posts, read 12,353 times

Advertisements

Hello! I'm hoping to learn as much as I can about Wilmington...I've read just about every post over the past 2 months...phew! And Wilmington doesn't come up very much. We have a young family...ages 4 and 2 with my oldest starting K.garten in the Fall...but we are in the nursing and finance professions....and are staying away from super close in to Boston due to finances...

So we were considering Wilmington...looks like a mix of newer and older homes....we would probably rent for a year to get our bearings! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 04:47 PM

3,692 posts, read 7,448,125 times
Gee, there certainly are a lot of threads asking about Wilmington today.

Honestly, I can't tell you anything specific, I drive thru Wilmington several times each week but I don't know a thing about it's schools or other amenities. One of my colleagues just purchased a new construction home in Wilmington but she is a single woman in her early 40s, probably different priorities than yours.

What brought you to be interested in Wilmington? Perhaps that information can help us to provide insight in to what additional towns or locations might make sense for you and how Wilmington may compare to those other communities.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:36 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,070,542 times
The place is a ****hole. Avoid. Just visit there to eat at a few restaurants or something.
Avoid Tewksbury and Billerica too.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:16 AM

5 posts, read 12,353 times
Just wondering Doctorrain what makes you say that...I'm open Basically we are trying to be realistic to the possiblity of buying a home and have 2 little kids. Family is in Lowell, Dracut, Methuen, Littleton and we want to be closer to them but not live in those areas. Don't think we could afford the more affluent communities like Lexington, etc. so we are trying for a middle ground with safe neighborhoods, more family oriented, good schools, etc.We were thinking of Wakefield (but need to visit) and maybe North Reading (but hear the taxes are outrageous. And since my husband travels on the road for work, we like highway access. Train isn't as important but it's nice...I'm a nurse so I can be anywhere.....Thanks for any input, good or bad!!!!!

Old 01-13-2010, 01:31 PM

4 posts, read 24,652 times
hi there! born and raised in wilmington. not a terrible place to grow up. drive 10 minutes in any direction and you will be in another town. the schools are decent, most kids go on to colleges, and there are lots of businesses in the area. depending on where you work, the commute can be rough. sitting on rt 93 or 95 for at least an hour each way if you worth towards boston or metrowest. BUT wilmington has 4 exits for rt 93 and it's 5-10 min away from 495 and 95, so it has great highway access! not many restaurants at all, and no bars (there is a law to be served more than one drink you must order food too). but the surrounding towns have lots of shopping and restaurants. i like north reading (not great highway access, but not outrageous, prob 10-15 min of backroads, at the most) and wakefield is nice too. any other questions, please ask!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts