Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2014, 03:24 PM

2 posts, read 6,694 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are planning to relocate to the east coast after having spent a few years on the west coast. Lynnfield seems to be a good area and we like that there are several highways within easy reach. We were looking to move somewhere in the vicinity of Pillings pond, but my wife came across some information which is a bit scary. Basically, we read that a few years ago, the pond was dredged to lower some foul odor. Apparently, after the dredging was stopped (they were lacking some permits), they noticed that the odor was reduced but they got an mosquito infestation. So my questions relate to foul odor and mosquitoes around Pillings pond.

Given that the dreding occurred several years ago, how bad is the mosquito situation around the pond? Have things returned to normal? Is it mostly a matter of a couple of weeks per year when one will experience a lot of mosquitoes or is this something that goes on throughout the summer and autumn? How about the foul odor? Has the problem been solved? How bad is it (e.g., could one enjoy a BBQ outside or is it out of the question)? Is this something which lasts for only a week or two in September or is this something that one has to endure for the whole season(s)?

We also thought of Middleton. It is not as convenient but housing prices seem to be more affordable. Do they have as many mosquitoes and the same odor which comes from Pillings pond?

Please accept my apologies if I offended anyone. We just read about this on the internet and don't know what is the current situation. Driving through the area in winter time isn't going to help either, so the only people who really know are the ones living there, which is why we decide to ask on this forum. Thank you ahead of time for your help.

Regards,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 04:01 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,435,107 times
I live in Lynnfield, although not on Pillings Pond. Very few homes in Lynnfield actually have waterfront access.

As you may suspect, don't believe everything you read on the Internet. Your facts are somewhat confused, but suffice to say, there are no current issues or odor problems with the pond. The pond is maintained by the town's Conservation Commission and is treated regularly for insects as well as aquatic plant growth. We have a few friends who live on the pond and I would not hesitate to purchase a home there.

Mosquitos, or even deer ticks, are a significant concern anywhere in Eastern Massachusetts. I would use common sense, however, in making your purchase decisions and not let your judgement be compromised by hearsay.

What is prompting your move to MA and where do you need to commute to for work or other requirements? As you have seen, Lynnfield and Middleton are expensive and have very limited inventory, perhaps there are other towns that may be a better fit for you.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:35 PM

2 posts, read 6,694 times
Thank your answer gf2020. It is a relief to read that the odor/mosquitoes are no worse than elsewhere. As you pointed out, one has to be careful when reading information on the internet...

We decided to relocate to metro Boston because we miss the seasons and we miss the green (it is very dry here). The job situation isn't finalized but it could be in Lexington. We would have loved to move to Winchester or Lexington (in part for that reason) but I'm afraid the high real estate prices don't make this feasible. So we started looking at areas nearby with good schools and less expensive real estate (though still pretty pricey if you ask me).

Lynnfield and Middleton don't seem to have much inventory so we are waiting to see what will happen over spring time as usually the number of houses for sale increase a fair bit during that time. As for the pond, I didn't mean a property on the pond itself, but just something nearby. Anyway, I am afraid that being in too close proximity to a water body in metro Boston is asking for trouble (i.e., flooding), so ideally one would want to be close but not too close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts