Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2013, 08:35 AM

6 posts, read 11,092 times

Advertisements

Apologize in advance if this has been addressed already.

My wife and I are thinking of moving to Lynnfield (currently we live in Southie) and have noticed there's little to no public transportation options in the area. I believe one would have to drive to Wakefied or Salem for the commuter rail or Oak Grove for the T.

Are most residents driving in? If so - is Route 1 or 95/93 better to get into downtown?

Also, I heard from my real estate agent that there was a thought of extending the commuter rail into Lynnfield - does anyone know if this is true?

Really appreciate the assistance.

Regards,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 10:01 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,642,323 times
What's wrong with these options? Lack of parking space?

Old 06-04-2013, 10:31 AM

69 posts, read 147,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephman2002 View Post
Apologize in advance if this has been addressed already.

My wife and I are thinking of moving to Lynnfield (currently we live in Southie) and have noticed there's little to no public transportation options in the area. I believe one would have to drive to Wakefied or Salem for the commuter rail or Oak Grove for the T.

Are most residents driving in? If so - is Route 1 or 95/93 better to get into downtown?

Also, I heard from my real estate agent that there was a thought of extending the commuter rail into Lynnfield - does anyone know if this is true?

Really appreciate the assistance.

Regards,
I have always been a proponent of taking 93 into the city from the north - assuming you are not north of Andover, and running into the mass exodus out of Southern New Hampshire every morning into Boston. If you get caught up in traffic connecting from north of the Merrimack Valley and into New Hampshire, it is gridlock.

95 is what it is - it is the principal connector to 128, and thus, 93 for virtually everyone who comes into the city from the North Shore. Rush hour traffic from there is insanity. For those who opt out of the 95 route, they can take route 1 the entire way in, but that is stop and go at best, and of course you eventually end up at the Tobin Bridge toll into the city which can have lines 3/4 of a mile long in the morning.

You being in Lynnfield (prospectively) puts you right on 128/95 - so if for no other reason than ease and proximity, I would like consider that you're primary route - but that connects you right to 93 in Stoneham, and you can ride that the rest of the way.

In terms of the T, while I cannot be positive, I think the Haverhill/Newburyport line runs right through Reading, which is right next door to Lynnfield. You could easily park there, probably less than a 5 minutes drive from wherever you would live, and ride in everyday, or as needed.

Those would be my suggestions - but I am sure that every "North Shore Road Warrior" has a different perspective. My feeling is, once you are there, you will figure out which route works best for you and your patience.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:42 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,239,864 times
I have never heard that commuter line will expand into Lynnfield. Makes me think that RE agent and its claims should be taken with a grain of salt. It is not an ideal location for people needing to be in Cambridge e.g. But not too bad for folks working in Boston. More complicated than some, but not the worst commute.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:54 AM

220 posts, read 835,926 times
RTE 1 S traffic is bad in the morning between 7:30am to 8:30am from Lynnfield on down. The best is to drive to Oak Grove.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:25 AM

3,688 posts, read 7,426,863 times
I live in Lynnfield currently and other North Shore towns since 1990. I commuted in to Boston for most of 20 years before switching industries in 2011.

Your real estate agent is misinformed. There are no plans to extend any commuter rail in to Lynnfield. There has been talk of extending the Blue Line to Lynn for several years, but those plans have made no progress.

During the ~20 years I commuted in to Boston, I predominantly took these 4 routes:
The commuter rail from Lynn in to North Station
The Coach Co. commuter bus, first from Byfield and then from Peabody
Drive to the Orange Line at Oak Grove
Drive in to Boston: cut across Saugus to Route 107 to Route 60 to Route 1A, thru the Ted Williams tunnel and park in the Fort Point Channel area
I would never take Route 93 in to Boston during the morning rush hour, it's just too painful. Route 1 over the Tobin Bridge is marginally better.

If you have any other questions about Lynnfield, please feel free to contact me via PM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts