Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2011, 06:59 AM

1 posts, read 2,912 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

Could you tell me your opinions on Reading and/ or Lynnfield as far as community, school and crime?

I thought of Lynnfield and Reading because of the location close to 128/Rte1/93 and the higher rated schools.

We are a Middle Class Family returning to Massachusetts after an 8 yr absence. Currently living in England. We love being active with school and community - we have 2 children ages 7 and 8 yrs old. We would like to be near the city of Boston (for work and play) but far enough out of the city to enjoy a "town like feel". The kind of town that you'd feel safe, walking around shopping, have friendly people... Probably will rent in the town for a good 6 months to a year before we buy (can't afford to buy over 400k for 3 bedroom) I want to get a solid idea where so as not to uproot kids from school to school.

Thanks much!
Ann

Last edited by annwp; 01-07-2011 at 07:00 AM.. Reason: grammatical
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 05:42 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,435,107 times
You're not going to find much housing for under $400K in either Reading or Lynnfield.

Reading has 24,000 people, Lynnfield has 12,000 people.
Reading has a downtown area with shops and a few restaurants, Lynnfield does not.
Reading has a shopping district near the highway with a Home Depot, 2 grocery stores, chain restaurants, etc., Lynnfield does not.
Reading offers town water and sewer, Lynnfield does not (town water only, no sewer).
Reading has a commuter rail station with service to Boston, Lynnfield does not.

I live in Lynnfield, my wife is a teacher in Lynnfield. Her best friend at work lives in Reading.

The towns are very similar in terms of "quality" but Reading does offer more amenities. It really depends on what you are after.
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts