Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2012, 10:56 AM

107 posts, read 339,841 times

Advertisements

Hello,

What's the average cost of moving locally by professional movers in MA? I'm getting some very high quotes for a 2 bedroom 1070 sqft apartment to a house. I'm getting quoted around 900 bucks. Is this insanely high or is it pretty normal in MA?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 09:08 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,030,644 times
That really depends on what your movers are doing for you (i.e. are they packing boxes for you or are you doing all the packing yourself) and how much stuff you have. $900 sounds extremely cheap to me though.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:50 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,826,941 times
I used a local company and the rate was $75 per hr, min 2 hrs. plus a 1 hr travel charge for 2 guys and the truck. You can book a 3 person move with a bigger truck at a higher price, but the time it takes to do the move would be shorter. The clock starts ticking when the movers arrive at the old apartment and stops after the work is done at the new place. So obviously, the longer the drive (and they drove slow with the full truck), the more hours and $$.

When I called the familiar name moving companies, the quotes were at least 3x what I ended up paying. Used Yelp to read reviews. PM me if you need a reference.

I saved lots of money by clearing cabinets ahead of time and boxing things up myself. Moved many car loads of smaller boxes on my own and Movers only handled the stuff I can't handle (like big or heavy furniture, heavy boxes that I packed myself). You want to minimize the # of trips it takes to fit all your stuff into the moving truck - do 1 trip if possible. They loaded the boxes first, so luckily I only had a few. Otherwise the truck would've run out of room at the end for the last pieces of furniture.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:18 PM

404 posts, read 827,041 times
When we moved into our house from our apartment in Somerville, we had about 1000sq.ft. of stuff and the lowest estimate we got was $900. There was some clause about time/manhours and if they got done more quickly you got your $$ back. It ended up that we had lots of easy to move boxes of books and they got done more quickly and I got $125 back of that $900. And that was 10 years ago.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:21 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,242,024 times
We have moved locally for about $700 including tips. Some boxes and mostly furniture. We were lucky that we could do many small runs in our van. And we packed our own boxes. We had Gentle Giant quote of $1800-2000 for the same move (3-bed). Cut the cost by doing boxes yourself and shop around. There are many good local and smaller companies that do not charge huge sums of money.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:39 PM

16 posts, read 67,966 times
Try to find one on craigslist. There are some great ones out there for very reasonable price (it can get as low as $25/person/hour)

$900 for a two bedroom apartment sounds outrageous to me, but yes I pack by myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasengan View Post
Hello,

What's the average cost of moving locally by professional movers in MA? I'm getting some very high quotes for a 2 bedroom 1070 sqft apartment to a house. I'm getting quoted around 900 bucks. Is this insanely high or is it pretty normal in MA?

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
View detailed profiles of: