Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 04:00 PM

1 posts, read 4,516 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have tried before posting anything to read as much as to find anything recently about the Mid/Lower Cape, and I could not find anything. We are a family of four with a 16yr old and a 6 yr old children, my husband is getting a job opportunity in Chatham and I will be looking for a p/t administrative job. I am concern about living in the lower Cape and the winter when it comes to be all closed down . I am not sure which to look into: South Dennis, Yarmouth, Harwich or Orleans? I searched a little about the schools and they seem good in those area. I know that the largest year round population is mostly in Sandwich, Hyannis and Barnstable (and mayor shopping in Hyannis) but that would be a long commute for my husband. We were there just a couple of days and didnt' get to see much except for charming Chatham & Harwich. Did see a house in Yarmouth but I didn't see anything around the area shopping, I guess we were in/out. I want to find a middle point so I can commute to work, shops and schools easier wih good neighbors.

Can someone please help us with some input about pros & cons for the town I picked, it is really hard to move across the country with a family knowing little about the Cape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 09:37 AM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
Hello CarolinaCod
I work in real estate at Schooner Properties and live here year round. We are centrally located in Brewster. Our main website at *Brewster MA , Chatham MA , Orleans MA , Harwich MA , Dennis MA , Cape for Sale, Where is Cape Cod, | Schooner Properties One Ellis Landing Rd, Brewster, Ma 02631 has a wealth of information on it about Cape Cod that you might want to check out. Chatham is considered the "elbow" and is a bit out of the way from the main rt6 but it is not that far away. True the closer you are to Hyannis and the major shopping outlets the less you will have to travel but from Brewster I can make it there in 20 minutes.
The Cape in the winter is what you make of it. Yes it comes alive in the Summer but there is still plenty to do in the shoulder seasons.
The area towns as far as buying a house goes have different price points, different types of neighborhoods and styles of houses. It all depends on your wants and needs and of course how much you want to spend.
Sandwich can be 40 minutes to Chatham or more given traffic. Orleans is a really nice town but like Chatham the housing can be a bit more pricey then say Brewster or Harwich. Dennis and Yarmouth tend to be a bit less on average but there are exceptions.
As for schools each town has its own elementary and middle schools but the main high school is Nauset in Eastham.
Do visit our website for info and sign in to our email alert property finder that will help you find a house.
Todd

Old 06-22-2012, 02:05 PM

7 posts, read 17,851 times
Hi I have lived on the cape for most of my life in the towns of falmouth Chatham and now Sandwich, what the prior reply said about the Nauset High School is not correct, Nauset High school serves Brewster Orleans Eastham Wellfleet and now Provincetown while Chatham and Harwich have combined forces into one high school as Dennis Yarmouth are combined, you also have a technical/vocational high school in Harwich and there are other charter and or private or religious schools around the cape to choose from. Most high schools also offer choice without transportation. Chatham was where my kids attended elementary through middle and it was similar to a private school because of size (great education, great people). Chatham is quiet in winter but it becomes a very cool small town, where neighbors actually care about each other and you have each others backs. the major stores are indeed in Hyannis and some in yarmouth or Orleans and it is a 30 minute ride to hyannis. A summer commute for your husband will be tough if your not on that end of the cape. Stick with chatham harwich or orleans for your family. D-Y can be a rough group with more crime. good luck any questions just ask

Old 07-18-2014, 05:42 AM

1 posts, read 3,576 times
Orleans, MA is a sanctuary city. That means its a magnet for illegal immigrants... so this town could possible have an underground network of cartel drugs and crime.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:14 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,799,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxsterling View Post
Orleans, MA is a sanctuary city. That means its a magnet for illegal immigrants... so this town could possible have an underground network of cartel drugs and crime.
OK, this post wins the "most bizarre post I have ever read" award!

Old 07-19-2014, 10:24 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCapeCod View Post
Agreed...and I spend significant time on the Texas forum. Trust me, that's no small feat.

Old 07-19-2014, 01:55 PM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCapeCod View Post

I read that too and thought "WHAT?" I never heard that about Orleans. Did the guy confuse the Cape Cod Orleans with NEW Orleans in Lousiana?? Bizarre.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:00 PM

10,022 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I read that too and thought "WHAT?" I never heard that about Orleans. Did the guy confuse the Cape Cod Orleans with NEW Orleans in Lousiana?? Bizarre.
I don't know what he means, New Orleans isn't a sanctuary city, either.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:18 AM

23 posts, read 35,950 times
Orleans is too far from the rest of the Cape imo anything that way is too far. Harwich is very nice. Harwich is where I would live if I lived on the Cape. It is beautiful.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:47 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,357,977 times
Sanctuary city, sanctuary, sanctuary cities, sanctuary city list, list of sanctuary cities, list, Ohio, jobs, OJJPAC, justice, illegal alien, immigration, amnesty, undocumented, ICE, NYC, IIRIRA, Huston, Chicago, Phoenix, Steve Salvi

Who knew?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts