Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2012, 07:13 AM

18 posts, read 54,917 times

Advertisements

I am looking at possible employment in Charlton. My girlfriend has been accepted to UMASS Amherst. I'd like to live somewhat close to both. My research has shown likely towns to be Ware, Brookfield, Southbridge, Sturbridge, Wales, Brimfield. I'm a young male, very outdoors oriented (bike, hike, run, etc.) Can anyone tell me about these places or recommend anything? I'd prefer to have some country setting but I also like access to a town (coffee shops, library, not much). I also see Worcester is the closest city with a lot of the amenities (the climbing gym for one haha). So I wouldn't want to be too far from it.

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by IceBoxSteve; 04-10-2012 at 08:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 03:39 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
I'm afraid I don't know much about that area, but do know that Brimfield was badly damaged in last year's freak tornadoes, and just the other day, there was a big wildfire there among the tornado debris (trees and such that have not been cleared away yet). I'm guessing that there wouldn't be much to rent or be available in Brimfield.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:08 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBoxSteve View Post
I am looking at possible employment in Charlton. My girlfriend has been accepted to UMASS Amherst. I'd like to live somewhat close to both. My research has shown likely towns to be Ware, Brookfield, Southbridge, Sturbridge, Wales, Brimfield. I'm a young male, very outdoors oriented (bike, hike, run, etc.) Can anyone tell me about these places or recommend anything? I'd prefer to have some country setting but I also like access to a town (coffee shops, library, not much). I also see Worcester is the closest city with a lot of the amenities (the climbing gym for one haha). So I wouldn't want to be too far from it.

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated!
Sturbridge would be ideal. The Pike is right there where it meets I84. That would be about a 35 minute drive to UMass, and it's right next to Charlton. Actually, Charlton is a nice town, too and it's right next to Sturbridge. There will be many here that will tell you to avoid Southbridge because of the schools but it you're just renting and you have no kids, it might be a litle cheaper than Sturbridge. In Southbridge, Worcester Street has some decent rentals. Avoid the areas around the 600 block of Main St. Ware is a sleepy former mill town, but the distance to Charlton m ight be a bit much. Brookfield is quite nice, too. It's right next to Sturbridge and is very rural but I'm not sure what will be available there. Auburn or even North Oxford have easy Pike access, but I don't know how long your gf is willing to commute. In any case, I would recommend Sturbridge as ideal for your situation.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:15 PM

28 posts, read 73,404 times
Hi,
My husband and I live in Charlton. Prior to purchasing in Charlton we rented in Southbridge. We rented at Rosemeade Apartments which was very nice. Southbridge isn't great, but the apartment complex was very suitable to our needs. We really like Charlton and Sturbridge and I would recommend both, but for just renting I would recommend Rosemeade in Southbridge. Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts