Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 01:03 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,825,921 times

Advertisements

I found a private apt in a single family neighborhood and I'm considering moving there. It's on the 1st floor of a 2 level 1950's ranch with separate entrance from the main house.

I know nothing about Winchester, other than it's one of the 'ritzy' towns like Wellesley, Wayland, etc., so this is a broad 'tell me what you like and not like' type of request. Any insight will be helpful.

Some specific questions I have so far:

- I'll drive into Boston using I-93 once in awhile. I get to work from home most days and don't plan to drive in when it rains, snows, etc. I've heard that rush hour is horrible, so when does traffic become more tolerable in the morning and at night?
- For driving to areas such as Newton, Brighton, etc., what have you found to be the best route?
- Are there any gas station hidden somewhere that sells at a good price (ex. special discount on certain day of week, etc.)?

Last edited by mmyk72; 05-04-2011 at 01:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 01:56 PM

324 posts, read 1,090,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
- I'll drive into Boston using I-93 once in awhile. I get to work from home most days and don't plan to drive in when it rains, snows, etc. I've heard that rush hour is horrible, so when does traffic become more tolerable in the morning and at night?
- For driving to areas such as Newton, Brighton, etc., what have you found to be the best route?
- Are there any gas station hidden somewhere that sells at a good price (ex. special discount on certain day of week, etc.)?
I really like Winchester. It's upscale for sure, but a bit more densely packed than Wayland/Wellesley/Weston. Lots are a bit smaller, and there is a bit more traffic in general.

Traffic into Boston on 93 will be better if you go before 7am and after 7pm. When there isn't traffic, it's super fast to get into the city from Winchester.

Driving to Newton, Brighton will be rough though. I'd probably take Rte 3 to 128 and loop around for Newton (depending on where exactly in Newton you're going). For Brighton you could either fight your way through Somerville/Cambridge or you could take 93 into the city and then the Mass Pike out. You can do that for Newton too if you're going somewhere near the pike. Either way, that's not a drive I'd want to do everyday.

As for gas stations, I don't know of any deals, and I doubt you'd find anything that would be worth driving out of your way for, especially at 4 bucks a gallon :-) There's a site where you can see local prices: Boston Gas Prices - Find Cheap Gas Prices in Massachusetts

Old 05-04-2011, 02:17 PM

10,023 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Quote:
It's on the 1st floor of a 2 level 1950's ranch with separate entrance from the main house.
Are you sure it's a legal apartment?

Old 05-04-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Are you sure it's a legal apartment?
I wonder about that and chances are 'no'.

Question for you:
1. What makes it 'legal' vs. 'illegal'?
2. What should I be worried about by living in/renting out an illegal apt?

Actually, I'm currently living in a very similar setup in another town. I'm on the 1st floor of a split ranch. My apt has a full size front and back door. Inside I have a kitchenette, full bath, and 1 bedroom. There is no separate utilities for me so the rent covers everything (heat, elect, hot water, water.)

The town lists the house as single family, so I'm sure the landlord never got a permit to make this a multi-family.....same with the Winchester apt. The draw for me is paying slightly lower rent compared to real apartments.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:21 PM

114 posts, read 323,394 times
If there's a fire and you die in an illegal apartment, your landlord might go to jail. Other than that, I can't think of any liability you have. In other words: don't worry about it.

There are some gas stations on Main Street in Woburn that generally have pretty good prices - often cash only. I do not personally drive up to Woburn just to buy gas however, and usually just get gas at the Hess in Winchester. If I am in the area, route 1 north just north of 128 in Saugus has good prices for gas (just before you get to Costco, which sells gas now there as well and probably has really good prices but I wouldn't know because the lines are too long!).

I'm not sure what I can tell you about Winchester. It's kind of a sports-crazy town. The library has a pretty decent selection of DVDs. I like NP cleaners (there's an obscure tip). It's nice having a decent hospital right in town. The prices at Stop and Shop are terrible compared to Market Basket up in Woburn.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:07 PM

10,023 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Quote:
I wonder about that and chances are 'no'.

Question for you:
1. What makes it 'legal' vs. 'illegal'?
2. What should I be worried about by living in/renting out an illegal apt?

The town lists the house as single family, so I'm sure the landlord never got a permit to make this a multi-family.....same with the Winchester apt. The draw for me is paying slightly lower rent compared to real apartments.
If the house is zoned for a single family, they aren't going to be able to get any kind of permit. The risk to you would be if perhaps a neighbor found out and reported it, the landlord has to evict you. You may also have problems if you wanted tenant insurance. I know it's cheaper, but your landlord is being sleazy and you should weigh the pros and cons.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
If the house is zoned for a single family, they aren't going to be able to get any kind of permit. The risk to you would be if perhaps a neighbor found out and reported it, the landlord has to evict you. You may also have problems if you wanted tenant insurance. I know it's cheaper, but your landlord is being sleazy and you should weigh the pros and cons.
Good point about the town finding out and forcing an eviction. Re the tenant insurance, I called in to ask about this for my current apt (also 'illegal'), the insur co asked me a bunch of questions, but none of the questions asked about how the house is zoned, whether it is officially a legal apt, etc. I remember it being asked just the address, size, whether there is a smoke alarm, .... simple things like that.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:56 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,304,632 times
Quote:
For driving to areas such as Newton, Brighton, etc., what have you found to be the best route?
I do this trip sometimes. If it's not rush hour, just take 93 to the Pike if you're anywhere on the east side of Winchester. It's probably quickest though you'll pay the Allston toll.

I've also gotten used to the back streets since I used to live in Belmont and take the streets to either place. From Winchester to Brighton you can take Route 3 to Arlington Center, then take Pleasant Street past Route 2 into Belmont. Make the first left after the Route 2 entrance onto Brighton St. (there are 2 gas stations) and follow it past Concord Av. When you reach the tiny rotary take the 2nd turnoff-Grove Street, then continue straight past Belmont St.

For Newton turn right on Mt Auburn St and follow 16 West across Watertown Square into Newton. For Brighton continue past Mt. Auburn and then bear right on Arlington St. Take it to the end (Arsenal St) and turn left for Brighton.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:38 AM

50 posts, read 239,750 times
It really depends on which part of Winchester you're living in. The west side is more suburban and resembles the part of Lexington that it borders with larger lots, homes built after 1950, and less walkable. It is tougher to get to 93, but easier to get to Newton from the west side (I take route 2 to 128).

The east side is full of older homes with character, generally on smaller lots, walkable to the town center, library, schools, middlesex fells, restaurants, shopping, train, etc. It has very easy access to 93 and 128 in Woburn, but not as easy to Newton. I commute from near the fells to Newton every day and it takes 35-40 minutes at rush hour.

Traffic within Winchester is a breeze compared to many similar towns, I drive all the way through town at rush hour without issue on most days. Driving through Wellesley Center or Newton Center can take 15 minutes at times and towns like Weston and Wayland Rt. 20 back up during rush hour because it is so hard to get onto the Pike from neighboring towns.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:56 AM

Many thanks to everyone for you input. Found out the apt is near the south part of the Fells, in a neighborhood between S. Border Rd and Main St (38).

It sounds like going to Newton will take 40 min or so. It won't be a daily drive, I guess it's not a show stopper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts