Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 03:20 PM

6 posts, read 16,221 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm looking to apply to college in Massachusetts, more specifically Northeastern University, Emerson College and Springfield University. I heard Springfield isn't in a great area, neither is Emerson, haven't heared much about Northeastern. Any thoughts on either of these 3?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 09:40 AM

31 posts, read 84,759 times
Springfield is a pretty sketchy city. In Boston most of the Colleges are in a way safe. They will all have emergency call boxes around campus for any incidents. Any place in a city is not going to be 100% safe.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:27 AM

324 posts, read 1,090,149 times
With the caveat that nowhere on the planet is 100% safe, the areas around Northeastern and Emerson are both considered safe areas of the city.

I don't know anything about springfield though.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:27 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,818,729 times
to note per mass general laws police that are at public universities/colleges in mass are actually state police.

If you are really concerned about crime check the police logs. Most are open usually within a month...some local papers publish them as do school websites.

Safety is a relative term. More people die from car accidents and the flu then in violent assaults.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:38 PM

6 posts, read 16,221 times
Great, thanks! Visiting Springfield next week then NU and Emerson in June.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:50 PM

23,577 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
to note per mass general laws police that are at public universities/colleges in mass are actually state police.
what are you talking about, I assume you mean they are state employees?

Old 04-28-2011, 11:25 PM

341 posts, read 672,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finch347 View Post
Hi, I'm looking to apply to college in Massachusetts, more specifically Northeastern University, Emerson College and Springfield University. I heard Springfield isn't in a great area, neither is Emerson, haven't heared much about Northeastern. Any thoughts on either of these 3?
Are you a senior in high school, from what you are asking it sounds like it. What state are you coming from if you do not mind me asking. My son is going to be applying to Emerson,,,,we are from Boston but have been So. Cal since 2003......we all want to move back. I will be looking more into Emerson in couple months,,,son wants to study film there,,,,can you tell me anything as a prospective student.

Northeastern, I went there, and it borders on bad neighborhood, trying to remember but I think that there are projects behind it,,,,,,but so many people around you will be okay. Very crowded area,,,,but many amenities,,,you should go visit and see what you think.

I miss Boston

Old 04-29-2011, 12:04 PM

12,873 posts, read 22,035,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPrincess View Post
With the caveat that nowhere on the planet is 100% safe, the areas around Northeastern and Emerson are both considered safe areas of the city.
Northeastern is mostly in a "safe" area of the city (Fenway). However, it does lie on the Roxbury border and students make easy targets. I'm not saying it's unsafe. In fact, the section of ROX near campus isn't as bad as others. My younger sister is a NEU undergrad right now and we're happy that she's there. However, it can get "iffy" for a student on the Tremont/Columbus side of campus. International Village residents often remark about the "sketchiness" of that area. Personally, I don't think it's that bad, but when it comes to safety, perception is almost as important as reality. If you feel unsafe, it hardly matters if you really are unsafe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
what are you talking about, I assume you mean they are state employees?
I believe all campus police in MA are actual police officers, not hired security guards. I know this to be true at Northeastern.

Old 05-01-2011, 10:03 AM

100 posts, read 367,375 times
Most colleges in and around Boston are in safe neighborhoods and the campus themselves are safe. Northeastern is in a safe location. Emerson is in a super-nice, upscale, and extremely safe neighborhood.
Some of the suburbs of Boston also have nice, safe colleges - for example, Waltham has Bentley and Brandeis, Wellesley has Wellesley, etc.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:23 PM

23,577 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I believe all campus police in MA are actual police officers, not hired security guards. I know this to be true at Northeastern.
Unless something has changed in the last few years, some colleges are some aren't. Some smaller private colleges have a "Dept. of Public Safety" which are unarmed and nothing more than glamorized security guards. All state colleges/universities have sworn police forces. It was the comment that they are all "state police" that confused me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts