Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 05:44 AM

10 posts, read 21,150 times

Advertisements

I am dreaming to put my son in Harvard. I know, it's a huge dream, but why not..
So I would like to know where to live in Mass that is safe, less crime, and well..maybe middle to upper class neighborhood?
This is important for me, because I have to leave my son alone there. There's no way I could be there everyday while our home is not in Mass.
I have to be sure that he lives in a safe, secure, and well respected neighborhood. So he can at least be safe at home, far from wild parties, far from drug deallers, far from prostitution,etc.
I got friend that live in an apartment in harvard square. Is it good to live in? How about the neighborhood? Should I buy a house or an appartment? Please,any recomendation needed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 06:27 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,939,627 times
How old is your son now, as I am a bit confused? Are you looking for somewhere for your son to live while he goes to Harvard or are you looking to move near Harvard so that your son can eventually be accepted?

If it's the former, I would recommend he lives in Harvard University housing for at least his first year. After that he will need to decide for himself, with your guidance, where he should live. Living with lots of other freshman is a great part of the college experience and he will quite possibly make friends for live during his first year of college. Harvard square is wonderful neighborhood, but quite expensive. Some of the campus housing extends in to Huron Village, which is a little bit quieter and in my opinion even nicer. Everything is very safe.

If it's the latter, you should save yourself the time and effort. Harvard does not accept students preferentially from Massachusetts. Getting in to a school like Harvard boils down to your son being bright, extremely motivated, and a little lucky. If your son is the first two and still doesn't get in to Harvard, he'll do fine for himself wherever he ends up.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:02 AM

10,042 posts, read 15,710,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
If it's the latter, you should save yourself the time and effort. Harvard does not accept students preferentially from Massachusetts. Getting in to a school like Harvard boils down to your son being bright, extremely motivated, and a little lucky. If your son is the first two and still doesn't get in to Harvard, he'll do fine for himself wherever he ends up.
If anything, he'd be better off anywhere but Massachusetts. Harvard, like most elite schools looks for geographic diversity among applicants.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:38 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,534,606 times
Yes but it's clear from the OP that they are not local to MA--their home is not in MA. From the name Chenchristian I will guess they are from Taiwan.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:37 AM

Thank you so much for all 3 of you! Okay, it's my fault that I didn't explain much about myself and the reason why I asked this question.
I'm from Indonesia, but I'm Chinese. My son is now only 17 months old. BUT, as my plan is to put him in Harvard I have to prepare him for the best to be able to achieve that dream.
To be honest, I have never been to US until now. I know very less about how it's like to live there. That's why, I feel that I need to learn and do research starts from now, so I can have the big picture on what to do, and what to decide.
I might go there when my son is older, maybe 5 or 6 years old to Disneyworld just to get a glimpse of what is US like. And a tour to Harvard and it's neighborhoods when he is more older.
I know it's going to be a long2 road. But why not try..
Answering Jayrandom there, thx so much for your input! I'm planning to search for my son to live as he is in harvard college. As you suggest for my son to be in Harvard housing, do you know the safety to be in there?
Well the point that I' looking for a house or an apartment is to avoid bullying from other students. Anybody know how is it like to be in Harvard housing?
But either way, I still need a house for me to stay while I'm there. I need to supervice my boy too somehow.. That's why I need a safe, clean and nice neighborhood. And maybe close to Harvard?! My budget is maybe up to $1,500,000..a little more than that might be fine.
I know it's going to be a lot higher than now when my boy finally reach that stage, but what expensive now will still be expensive later. So I just need the picture and nail places that I have to hunt their houses.
Though, I'm open for not so expensive places that are nice,with warm people,safe and clean neighborhoods! I'd be glad to know! My highest limit is what I may spend the highest if I have to. Coz I would do anything for my son,at whatever cost. I hope I explain enough..
And thank you so much for u all who concern my question!

Old 05-06-2009, 10:47 AM

1,126 posts, read 4,567,102 times
you do know how difficult it is to get into harvard right?

you can have perfect grades all your life and on the SAT and not get in.

yeah your best chances are to come from a subpar academic state and high school, be a minority, have a legacy

Old 05-06-2009, 11:00 AM

10,042 posts, read 15,710,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate14ri View Post

yeah your best chances are to come from a subpar academic state and high school, be a minority, have a legacy
Or be an athlete.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:05 AM

Oh yes I know how hard it is. But it's okay. What is life without a challege. If he couldn't enter Harvard, he could still enter Yale, or something. I won't mind.
But because Harvard is in Mass, I asked this question in this forum. So please,get back to the topic. I need to know where I could buy a house, people..

Old 05-06-2009, 11:18 AM

284 posts, read 1,169,002 times
In 17 years, when your son is ready for college housing options will certainly change dramatically. This is why you are having trouble getting some help. I would try focusing on what you can do now and within the next 5 years to help your child. Look into excellent primary schools in your country. Find out which secondary schools have students go on to the best schools in the U.S. and Europe. If he is accepted to Harvard in 17 years, THEN consider where you want to move. As a bit of advice though, most American college students want to be away from their parents for their college experience. By that age, college students are considered young adults. Typically bullying and such is no longer a concern for parents. Having recently graduated college myself, it's likely that your son will not want you nearby!

Old 05-06-2009, 12:08 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,534,606 times
I know a lot of Chinese families are moving to San Marino in California, a gorgeous suburb of Los Angeles, for their children's education. In many cases the wife and kids come over and dad stays back in China to work.

You don't necessarily have to live near Harvard to get a good college prep education--there are many nice areas with good schools, both public and private.

I understand that in many Asian countries an American education is considered almost obligatory--and it's not unusual to groom your child for an Ivy League education from birth.

There are lots of Asian families in our town, Brookline, right outside of Boston, which also has a wonderful public education system which starts in pre-K, 3 years old. Another option, when your son gets a little older, starting sometimes early as 12 or 13, is to send him to a boarding school with top academics.

So, I say, buy a house in Brookline. Next question!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts