Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 09:13 AM

6 posts, read 10,655 times

Advertisements

I just landed a new job in concord mass -

I'm originally from Western Mass and have done plenty of traveling in my life to know that my ideal want in a living situation is green and lush. I prefer hiking trails over pubs, houses over complexes, and bikes over buses.

Being COMPLETELY oblivious (as all western massachusettians are to eastern mass AND vice-versa) are there any towns within feasible commute distance that are wood-sy?

You know... Like have more goats per square feet than humans? hahaha... ok that's an exaggeration, but if you've ever been to Northampton or Amherst, then those are spot-on definitions of my ideal town.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 09:19 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,185,254 times
Gosh, living here in Quincy/Boston, Concord sure seems woodsy, serene and bucolic. No? What about Carlisle or Lincoln, adjacent to Concord? Hmmm...

Sorry, but not much help today...

It'll be interesting what others will will offer...

Old 09-08-2013, 09:22 AM

8,543 posts, read 14,016,971 times
I would tend to doubt that you'd find anything exactly like where you live in Western MA in Eastern MA, but the closest towns to being rural in that area are Carlisle, Sudbury, Wayland, Weston, Lincoln, and Stow (maybe Westford too I know nothing of that town but it's name has been thrown around a bit here by others as a good town). A little further away you have Harvard & Bolton. As you might have guessed, the more west you're willing to commute from the more rural feel you'll get. It will all come down to what's more important to you: rural feel or commute time.

Last edited by MikePRU; 09-08-2013 at 10:41 AM..

Old 09-08-2013, 10:31 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,640,383 times
Carlisle will have the most of what you are looking for. You could not ask for a friendlier town or better community spirit. With few commercial businesses, there are community festivals and events happening all the time in Carlisle. The little town center has Fern's Country Store for having a muffin and coffee on the deck or grabbing some lunch treats. I frequent Great Brook Farms by bike and by foot. While exploring the back roads, I was delighted one day to encounter an emu. Inside the park, I have made the acquaintance of many harmless ribbon and water snakes, as well as dog walkers, horseback riders, fisherman, picnicers, ice cream aficionados and cross country skiers. The roads are filled with commuter cyclists every day of the week, even winter. The Minuteman trail going into Cambridge and the new Bruce Freeman trail, which will eventually got as far as Framingham are nearby. Canoeing and kayaking is available and very popular in Concord.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:43 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,528,679 times
Boxborough, Shirley, Groton, Ashby. Maybe also check out Mason NH!

Ashby and Mason are VERY woodsy and bucolic but about 35-40 min to Concord. Shirley and Groton about 20-25, and Boxborough 15. You simply won't find downtowns like Amherst and Northampton with similarly rural surroundings east of the Quabbin. Groton and Concord itself may be the closest approximations!

Harvard, Bolton, and Berlin may be good candidates too.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:31 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,640,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCMA View Post
Boxborough, Shirley, Groton, Ashby. Maybe also check out Mason NH!

Ashby and Mason are VERY woodsy and bucolic but about 35-40 min to Concord. Shirley and Groton about 20-25, and Boxborough 15. You simply won't find downtowns like Amherst and Northampton with similarly rural surroundings east of the Quabbin. Groton and Concord itself may be the closest approximations!

Harvard, Bolton, and Berlin may be good candidates too.

I second Groton. For cycling and walking, there is the Nashoba Rail Trail. Groton and the next town over Ayer have downtowns with many indie businesses such as the vegetarian restaurant in Ayer and the health food store in Groton. The Shaw's in Groton is one of the best chain groceries in the area. The politic may be the closest to Northampton as well.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:53 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
Bedford reminds me a little bit of home (WMass). Maybe Boxborough too.

Old 09-08-2013, 04:42 PM

23,539 posts, read 18,678,020 times
3rd for Groton.

Old 09-08-2013, 04:46 PM

4,621 posts, read 4,889,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
I second Groton. For cycling and walking, there is the Nashoba Rail Trail. Groton and the next town over Ayer have downtowns with many indie businesses such as the vegetarian restaurant in Ayer and the health food store in Groton. The Shaw's in Groton is one of the best chain groceries in the area. The politic may be the closest to Northampton as well.
+1 (or 4 by now)

Pepperell might fit the bill too, but might be a chore to commute (no straight shot)
Harvard too (easy commute)
Bolton, maybe. What do the signs say, a right to farm community?

Old 09-08-2013, 05:01 PM

23,539 posts, read 18,678,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
+1 (or 4 by now)

Pepperell might fit the bill too, but might be a chore to commute (no straight shot)
Harvard too (easy commute)
Bolton, maybe. What do the signs say, a right to farm community?
Bolton is more of a yuppie commuter town, it should still be worth checking out though. Harvard has a slightly more rural feel but very tiny and hardly anything in the town center other than a general store. Groton has a nicer mix. Pepperell, Dunstable and Shirley are really pushing the commute further. Another place to look might be Littleton, but again that is right on 495 so that brings more of a commuter element to it rather than the quaint/tucked away feel that Groton has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts