Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2007, 09:54 PM

2 posts, read 7,918 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
I will be enrolled at the Johns Hopkins school of Public Health soon. I have 2 girls an 8th and 10th grader for next term. My research suggests its better to live away from the Hospital and commute while enrolling them in county schools. I am conflicted between choosing to live in columbia vs towson vs anne arundel. I am not sure about the commute and suitability of the schools. I want to choose the most nurturing envirnment for them. HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2007, 06:45 PM

22 posts, read 153,433 times
Baltimore County has a good school system and would be closest to Johns Hopkins University. Towson is a very nice area, and has a great public high schools for your 10th grader--Towson High Law & Public Policy is outstanding. There are also many private catholic schools that serve Towson, MD, but tuition can be expensive. For your 8th grader there is Dumbarton Middle School or Ridgely Middle school, which are both also excellent. Commuting anywhere in the Baltimore-Washington Metro Area can be a major pain, so I would try to stay in Baltimore County to avoid having a long commute. Also check into Parkville, Dundalk, Essex, and Rosedale, MD (All in Baltimore County and 20- 30 minutes way from Johns Hopkins University)

Old 04-01-2007, 08:12 AM

770 posts, read 3,681,200 times
I live in Anne Arundel County. Jones Elementary school was rated #4 in the state academically. It is located in Severna Park. There was another elementary school here rated 2nd best in the state. If you move to AA Co, I suggest these areas: Southern Pasadena, Severna Park, Arnold, Millersville and Edgewater.

Old 04-01-2007, 07:23 PM

2 posts, read 7,918 times
Default Thank you so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhrrussell2 View Post
Baltimore County has a good school system and would be closest to Johns Hopkins University. Towson is a very nice area, and has a great public high schools for your 10th grader--Towson High Law & Public Policy is outstanding. There are also many private catholic schools that serve Towson, MD, but tuition can be expensive. For your 8th grader there is Dumbarton Middle School or Ridgely Middle school, which are both also excellent. Commuting anywhere in the Baltimore-Washington Metro Area can be a major pain, so I would try to stay in Baltimore County to avoid having a long commute. Also check into Parkville, Dundalk, Essex, and Rosedale, MD (All in Baltimore County and 20- 30 minutes way from Johns Hopkins University)
Thank you so much for your advice, it will go a far way in settling my nerves.
Have a great day

Old 04-01-2007, 09:18 PM

22 posts, read 153,433 times
You're very Welcome. I wish you the best of luck at Johns Hopkins.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:24 PM

21 posts, read 130,170 times
Adding my two cents... I live in Anne Arundel County, but grew up in Baltimore City, so I know it and the surrounding areas pretty well. I also worked in the city and commuted from AA County.

I am not sure which part of Hopkins you'll be located at, but I am assuming it is near the main campus (Monument and Broadway in East Baltimore). You definitely do not want to live anywhere near there. Commute-wise, AA Co to the city is the best bet. Schools in AA Co are varied. I am not sure about Edgewater, but avoid Millersville. Pasadena is okay, but still has a bit of redneck in it.Severna Park, Arnold, Broadneck, and Cape St. Claire would all be good options school-wise. Avoid Millersville... Old Mill High is a good school, but year after year the environment reminds me of the high schools I attended in Baltimore City. You may also want to consider Crofton, Gambriills, the Piney Orchard area in Odenton, and Severn, as long as you're in a part of Severn that doesn't feed into Old Mill High School (OMHS). I am not sure that exists. Crofton, Gambrills and Piney Orchard would offer the quickest commute to and from Baltimore (20-30 minutes). The best route is actually through the Harbor Tunnel (895) and into the city from the east. My hubby does it every day and loves it. Severna Park, Arnold, and Cape St. Claire may add other 15-20 minutes.

As for Towson, it is close and it does have some nice areas, but it's too close to city-life for me. The hood and Towson are slowly but surely starting to overlap. And traffic in and around Towson (pronounced tao-sun, not toe-sun) is a bit much for me, too. Towson into downtown wouldn't be bad, but the drive between Towson and East Baltimore would suck. The beltway is crowded, 83 is usually really heavy, and the city thoroughfares can also get jammed. If there's a problem on 83, gridlock happens, and your 20-minute commute can become 1-2 hours.

Best of luck. Feel free to ask any specific questions.

Toadmama

Old 04-09-2007, 09:41 PM

3 posts, read 14,114 times
Hi. I saw a couple of mixed opinions on Millersville and hubby is leaning toward that area for us to move from Bowie. The schools that service the neighborhood we are looking at are Severna Park schools (Benfield, Severna Park, Severna Park). Just curious as to why one might say avoid Millersville--is it a school thing or a general dislike of the city. Thanks for your opinions.

Old 04-10-2007, 11:06 AM

7,022 posts, read 11,317,487 times
I always was told the area is pronounced "Tao-sin" not "Tao-sun"

Which is preferred?

Old 04-23-2007, 10:16 PM

12 posts, read 104,168 times
Columbia and Ellicott City have great schools, however pricey areas. Catonsville is a very homey area and a short commute, prices reasonable. Stay in west end outside of Beltway, very community oriented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland