Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 11:24 AM

7,017 posts, read 11,307,950 times

Advertisements

I find this thread interesting. Roadtripgirl, How can you tell if an area in Maryland is "Pure KKK-like country" Are you looking for banjos, trailers, Rebel flags? I don't know what is funnier, sheltered rural people afraid of the city, or sophisticated urbanites scared of the country!

Old 05-24-2007, 11:45 AM

471 posts, read 1,830,120 times
How can you not? Have you experienced this? People act like things like this do not exist... Especially in Maryland. it is here, but not just prevalent. I wasn't trying to offend anyone about the comment, but come on people, I'm trying to share an experience that I had which I "percieved" as pure KKK like. When you enter a town where there are mostly white people who look at you and say really shouldn't get out of that car... And not to mention confederate flags hanging. But again, it was my perception... And I didn;t say it happend everyday in my neighborhood I said it was in a small isolated town. And for your info, my family is from South carolina, I am not scared of the country I actually welcome it. SC is a lot more country than Maryland.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:07 PM

I guess I just don't see the association between poor isolated white towns in MD, of which I know plenty, and the KKK. My experience has been that racism is a much bigger issue with white people in areas where the races are in close contact. I grew up in overwhelming white Western Maryland and I never really knew what racism was until I moved to Metro Baltimore. Racism there is real, it is personal, and is something that has an impact in people's day to day lives.

So I guess, if you are scared of poor white country folk that is OK, just dont call them KKK. That image is very powerful to alot of people and borders, to me at least, on stereotyping.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:17 PM

I didn't say they were "poor white country folk" or that the town was poor and isolated. It appeared they were keeping anything black outta there town. I thought the KKK was primarily situated in Western MD (near hagerstown?). Again, my perception may be different. I'm from DC

Old 05-24-2007, 12:58 PM

The biggest KKK activity in Maryland that I hear about is that annual KKK march in Sharpsburg (Washington County), which is normally about a dozen dudes in hoods flanked by hundreds of civil rights supporters who boo and mock them, Thurmont (Frederick County) has a history of KKK activity but I haven't heard of any real activity, only stories from the 1990s or before. Parts of Carroll and Cecil Counties also have a reputation for such things, but I have not heard specifics.

When I say Western Maryland, I mean Allegany and Garrett Counties. To us anything east of Sideling Hill is "down-state." I don't want to put up these two counties as a paragon of diversity and free thought, because they certainly are not, but I have never heard any organized or implied racist activity out there. Locals are far more concerned with fighting and bickering with the white people in the next town over to worry about the black people that live somewhere else.

I guess we just have different perspectives. Like I said early, I see and hear alot more racism from people from or living in metro MD than I ever did in Allegany County. Geez, just check out any thread on poor old PG county for evidence of this. It seems to me that where the races live in close proximity is where the more active prejudices are.

Old 05-24-2007, 01:03 PM

Wow, you just gave me a history lesson. You grew up in a part of Maryland I rarerly visit. I didn't even know they had annual marchs! I never even heard of Sharpsburg...

Old 05-24-2007, 01:26 PM

Maryland is a small state, but with very distinct parts.

Sharpsburg is where the Civil War Battle of Antietam was fought. It was the single bloodiest day in American military history. It was right after this battle that Pres. Lincoln issued the Emmancipation Proclimation freeing the Confederate slaves (but oddly enough, not the slaves in Maryland.) I bet the Klan picks this little town for that symbolic reason.

You should go visit up there sometime. I promise there are not too many scary parts

Old 05-27-2007, 11:10 AM

770 posts, read 3,680,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Ithacan View Post
Sad to say, but the violent crime rates in MD are bad. As of the 2005 Uniform Crime Report (from the FBI) MD was 4th in violent crime behind SC, TN, and FLA. MD was #1 (a dubious honor) in murder and robbery rates. I do believe crime is generally concentrated in Baltimore, PG County, and a few other locales in or near the cities.
We are #1 in murder and robberies that to Baltimore. Geesh, I thought O' Malley had this all taken care of?

Old 05-29-2007, 08:17 AM

56 posts, read 392,596 times
I suggest you all to take alook at this website it is very interesting as far as crime rate is concerned. I dont know the exact web address I will try to get it search crime rate comparison.

Old 05-29-2007, 03:09 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,765,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTripGurl View Post
Please! There are places (that you probably never driven through) that are pure "KKK like" country in Maryland. if you are not white you SHOULD NOT get out of the car. It may be offensive to to say "Redneck" or "hick", but should we refer to them as "possible white supremacists"? It does exist, it has been experienced by myself and people I know... They are areas of Maryland that most would not have to drive through unless you know somebody or you (GULP!) got lost. It may be offesnive, but its' more offensive when you have to drive through these areas fearing for your life!!! I wasn;t trying to be offensive, I don't know any other way to put it honestly.

well you WERE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland