Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 04:35 AM

45,579 posts, read 60,945,454 times

Advertisements

Why don't you just live in Thurmont?

Sheetz coffee is better than Starbucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 05:38 AM

19,642 posts, read 9,616,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Why don't you just live in Thurmont?

Sheetz coffee is better than Starbucks.
Not to say I don't like Starbuck's but also like Sheetz [the convenient store/gas station].

I like Sheetz's Made-To-Order items
My faves:
Latte - Raspberry lattes and you get to choose which milk you want mixed in and if you want whip creme or extra flavor shot, etc [some have added costs but at least it tells you how much that "extra" something is going to be].

Burrito - you can choose which meats or whatever you want in your burrito.

Hagerstown, MD is growing and something new pops up every so often. The area around the Robinwood Meritus Medical Center would probably be the next boom I imagine.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:51 PM

461 posts, read 1,287,757 times
Yeah, new stuff does pop up a lot. I myself am excited for Sonic to open soon by the Hampton Inn on US 40. I know it's a chain, but.......

Old 03-05-2012, 11:16 AM

53 posts, read 108,023 times
from hagerstown take 70 to smithsburg then 491 to 550 to foxville deer field rd to 77 in bad weather you are more in hollows and on the side of the ridge than on top of the hill although sometimes it can be cooler down in the hollow than on top of the mountain

Old 05-11-2012, 11:26 AM

5 posts, read 7,518 times
Default Possible Relo to Hagerstown

Hi folks

My husband is heading for a job interview at JLG in Hagerstown, so we may be looking at relocating there from Victoria BC Canada. Would like some information about housing schools etc. From what I have read North Hagerstown is better? Funny it looks very flat from pictures I thought I would see mountains, looks a lot like my hometown area (NW OH) Would like an area that is walkable/bikeable, great schools, family friendly, low crime and easy commute to JLG. Can we afford that on 90k?

Also curious about the "vibe" of the area: Is it more DC i.e. educated urban mentality or southern redneck? Just asking b/c I had a friend who moved to SC and had a bad experience: shunned b/c he was a "yankee" and didn't go to the local Baptist church. That really wouldn't work for us, I consider us pretty middle of the road politically and spiritually. Friendly but not busy body.

How is the snow? is it freezing in winter? icy? Here it's rainy and 40's mostly all winter long. We get snow 1x a year. How about summer? can you go outside or do you get eaten alive by mosquitoes?

Thanks in advance for all the information : )

Old 05-11-2012, 03:08 PM

461 posts, read 1,287,757 times
Weather is pretty good here in Hagerstown, four distinct seasons for sure, but usually not to one extreme for long (ie not many days in the 90's, not too many days below freezing... but definitely some). Snow is hit or miss, this year we had a few inches in October, which was freak, and a few more in January and February, but nothing that really stuck to the roads the whole year.

The vibe is unique. Not really southern redneck, through there may be a little of that...... but more appalachia/slightly urban/dc suburban (I'm making these terms up). You have the townies that have been here forever....good people, blue collar.....and you have a lot of the new subdivisions and shopping you would find in more suburban areas. People move here for the cheaper cost of living and ability to commute to DC/Baltimore, though they are both about 70 miles away.

It's not flat here like the midwest, there are hills and mountains,and believe it or not, two ski resorts within 30 minutes. The hills are gentle and not steep, not like Pittsburgh, for example.

In the city itself, the north end is nicer, has more wealth. But surrounding the city in all directions, on the outskirts, are nice developments and working class housing that are pretty much crime free. Most crime happens in the city.

I don't have stats, but crime doesn't seem to be too much of a problem. It does exist, mostly bank robberies or crime related to personal disputes, not random acts.

Schools are good for the most part. If you find a home and know the district, you can sound off here and someone can let you know some thoughts. If I were you, I'd look in Fountain Head, which is across the street from JLG. It's a county club/golf course neighborhood, but an incredible mix of styles of home and prices. The neighborhood has a community within a community feel.

Great biking on the trails (C & O Canal, Western MD rail trail, country roads outside of town, Hub City Bike Loop, etc)

Best part, for me, is the ability to be near DC/Baltimore in an hour and a half tops, the airports, shopping, etc for things we don't have here in Hagerstown. But we are growing and have a good number of shops and restaurants right now, along with parks and recreation.

Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland