Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 09:24 PM

143 posts, read 870,891 times

Advertisements

Any info on Hagerstown appreciated? Likes and dislikes? Thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 03:58 AM

135 posts, read 707,536 times
Hagerstown used to be very nice. Now that too is overcrowded. What happened was the people that drove the prices up in Frederick found the nich for cheap houses in Hagerstown and moved up there. Now Hagerstown is overpriced. Good luck if you have to come down South Mountain in the morning for your commute.

Old 07-26-2007, 06:36 AM

6,999 posts, read 11,293,992 times
Hagerstown itself has a definite small city feel with its nice areas and its sketchier areas. The shame is that the sketchy areas are the places you see if you just drive through town on the major roads. The area surronding the core city is "pop-up" box 'burgs and farms. I have always prefered either Frederick if you want more culture and convience but still some rural feel, or Cumberland if you want real small town character. Some people find an exceptable compromise between these two extremes in Hagerstown.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:30 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
There are some really nice old homes there. While pricey, they are a bargain compared to other areas.

Old 08-18-2007, 02:29 AM

8 posts, read 30,974 times
I can tell you that I live here, hate it and CANNOT WAIT to get out of Hagerstown and this state. If you can dream it, Md can tax it. The people are rude and it is too congested. HELLO WYOMING!

Old 08-18-2007, 04:28 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,266,552 times
There is a fabulous prison in Hagerstown.

Old 08-18-2007, 06:47 AM

415 posts, read 1,960,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuff View Post
If you can dream it, Md can tax it.
Sad but true... I love this line.

Old 08-18-2007, 02:58 PM

149 posts, read 668,062 times
Growing up I always viewed it as a redneck town, but I go to the outlets every so often and pass through the town. It's okay, but it's kind of out there. I prefer Frederick over it any day of the week.

Old 08-24-2007, 07:58 PM

80 posts, read 406,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCOriolesfan View Post
There is a fabulous prison in Hagerstown.
yanno, I lived here in Hagerstown for over 2 years before I knew there was a prison here. And I do get out Its tucked away in a part of town that not many people have to go unless you work there. Since I've lived here I don't remember hearing about any incidents about the inmates. And the WashCo Sherrifs Dept is right next door

I came from Philly so Hagerstown is a paradise compared to it. I like it so far. But it being only the second place I've lived, I wouldn't call myself an expert.

Pros:
*great shopping - every store you can imagine close buy. The outlets here are great.
*close to interstates - Hagerstown is at the junction of 81 and 70
*great city parks - HUGE,green CLEAN parks, great for kids. City Park is gorgeous.
*still can find good housing compared to other counties in MD going east. There are also two big planned neighborhoods, Hager's Crossing and Westfields.
*Less then 90 minutes from DC, B-more or Harrisburg.
*If you don't want to be in Hagerstown, but still close, there are smaller towns such as Boonsboro, Sharpsburg, Smithsburg, Funkstown and Williamsport to name a few.
*Timed lights in downtown - If you do the posted 25 most of the time you can make it from one end of Hagerstown to the other in less then 10 minutes

Cons:
*growing WAY to fast - and it seems that the city / county gov't isn't handling it all to well Our roads, water and septic are becoming compromised.
* I have a son in 3rd grade, and it may just be his school, but there is a vast income difference with the children that go there. This seems to cause friction with both children, parents and teachers. The school consists of the poorest of the poor and the most affluent in the city and everything in between. I am not saying that kids should be segregate by income, just seems like it causes noticeable friction here and the school faculty don't handle it the greatest.

All in all, I think that Hagerstown is a good place to live. Since I've been here, most incidents of crime happen on the main roads [which is basically 40, lol] or in one section of the city. But as with everywhere, there are going to be some bad people.

If you are a commuter though during the typical 9-5 driving towards DC or b-more, it can be rough. Hubby only survived because he worked 630am to 230pm and has a heavy foot He would leave at 5am and be home by 4pm.

@JB - IMO, Hagerstown is nicer then Frederick for what I like Shopping is right off the interstates. I hate shopping in Frederick b/c it feels like you have to go to all over to do so and have to be on local roads. I absolutly HATE 15 and 40 in Frederick, talk about nightmare. Everything here is easy access to 81 or 70 and isn't very spread out. Traffic is better too. My husband was stationed in Ft. Detrick for a time and we couldn't wait to leave

But as far as nightlife and eateries, Frederick would be the spot hands down. But being that I am a stay at home mom with no 'adult' life at the moment, Hagerstown suits me just fine

Old 08-24-2007, 08:02 PM

80 posts, read 406,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaBradshaw View Post
Growing up I always viewed it as a redneck town, but I go to the outlets every so often and pass through the town. It's okay, but it's kind of out there. I prefer Frederick over it any day of the week.
Unfortunately, it's not very diverse It is 85% white with a dash of black and a little sprinkle, and I mean sprinkle, of everything else. I am multi-racial and my hubby is black and we have yet to experience a incident of prejudice or racism though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland