Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 02:18 PM

476 posts, read 749,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysmith View Post
This link points to a pdf that is more info than you want to know. The requirements of passing an inspection start on page 42. I do think it is sort of a moving target. The document states brake lines must be flaking with rust to fail inspection, but surface rust is OK. I've seen vehicles fail inspection with nothing more than surface rust. In fact I heard one mechanic say if the brake lines were brown, they fail...unless you pay to have the lines replaced with stainless (which eventually you will do) every auto brake lineis brown on the underside.

http://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/vehicle...121506_000.pdf
Thanks very much for the link to the official inspection manual! I agree that surface rust is normal. Why, even here in dry-as-a-bone Southern CA, much of the undercarriage of my vehicles contains plenty of surface rust. The stainless steel lines sound like a great idea. I'll have to take a look at JC Whitney to see if they offer them for my vehicles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 06:39 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,094,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
Glad this thread was bumped, because we're in the planning stage now of how to transfer two cars over to Maine from Virginia. Thanks, irisheyesafire! Best wishes to you as you research moving to Maine!

Regarding the title transfer: Our two cars are currently titled in my husband's name only (the Virginia car tax, which exempts my military husband when the cars are titled in his name only, but penalizes him for being married to me ( ) if the cars were to be titled in both our names). Is it as simple as my husband adding my name to the Maine title when we register them in Maine? Can I change my driver's license over to Maine after we change the car registrations? The car registrations are up for renewal before my license, so if possible I'd like to clear that hurdle first. Thank you for all the information about this!

*Just read your information on vehicle inspection, Zymer. Thank you so much! Very, very helpful.
You can do the registrations first.

I'm not sure about adding your name to the title, and I can't see much benefit to doing so, aside from your own personal desire to see it there. I *think* that when my wife transfered her motorcycle she changed the title from my name to hers, but I don't really remember. I gave the bike to her as a birthday present, but since I bought it the bill-of-sale was in my name and that's how we titled and registered it. The only benefit I can see would be if it came to divorce court and you were splitting up the property. (In my case, it wouldn't matter in the remote event that such would happen. What I have given her is hers and I wouldn't argue about it. I'd even let her keep the house if she wanted it, I'd just walk away with whatever personal items I could pack in my old truck and that would be that...but I don't forsee that happening, we've been together far too long for most of life's problems to drive us to that point.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 221B View Post
Regarding yearly inspections, I imagine that they are general safety inspections, as opposed to smog inspections like they are here in CA? If so, what is the routine regarding underbody and, if applicable, body rust? Specifically, is there some sort of threshold which can cause a vehicle to 'fail' the rust part of the inspection? If this is the case, then what happens. Does the owner have options regarding repairing the rust within a certain period of time or the registration is revoked?
Also, any experience with these types of rust repairs needed to meet the inspection guidelines? Are they expensive?
-Thanks!
Cumberland County is currently the only area of ME to require emissions inspections.

Inspection failure is largely variable, depending on who does the inspecting. VIP will rake you over the coals for any possible item that they could get a repair fee for, while your local self-employed mechanic may be somewhat more forgiving.

Registration is not revoked, but you can get a ticket in excess of $100 for each time you are stopped for not having a valid sticker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
...you have to do it as soon as possible especially if your sticker has already run out. I think 30 days is the grace period. They can and usually do charge you $12.00 for the inspection whether you pass or fail and you'll pay another $12.00 to be re-inspected.
You can be re-inspected (at the same facility) one time for no additional charge. If you fail a second time, you will be charged for the next one.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:44 PM

973 posts, read 2,385,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
You can be re-inspected (at the same facility) one time for no additional charge. If you fail a second time, you will be charged for the next one.
Another tidbit of worthless drivel is if you present your vehicle for inspection and it fails, the inspector will diagonally cut your existing inspection sticker. That screams to any law enforcement that you might encounter upon further travel that you are driving a vehicle that does not meet inspection standards. That also tells the next mechanic you go to that your vehicle has issues.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:08 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,690,392 times
Quote:

I'm not sure about adding your name to the title, and I can't see much benefit to doing so, aside from your own personal desire to see it there. I *think* that when my wife transfered her motorcycle she changed the title from my name to hers, but I don't really remember. I gave the bike to her as a birthday present, but since I bought it the bill-of-sale was in my name and that's how we titled and registered it. The only benefit I can see would be if it came to divorce court and you were splitting up the property. (In my case, it wouldn't matter in the remote event that such would happen. What I have given her is hers and I wouldn't argue about it. I'd even let her keep the house if she wanted it, I'd just walk away with whatever personal items I could pack in my old truck and that would be that...but I don't forsee that happening, we've been together far too long for most of life's problems to drive us to that point.)

Cumberland County is currently the only area of ME to require emissions inspections.

Inspection failure is largely variable, depending on who does the inspecting. VIP will rake you over the coals for any possible item that they could get a repair fee for, while your local self-employed mechanic may be somewhat more forgiving.

Registration is not revoked, but you can get a ticket in excess of $100 for each time you are stopped for not having a valid sticker.

Well I got hosed then because the place that failed my truck charged me an additional $12.00 when they passed it the second time.
They told me it was pass/ fail each time regardless of how many times they inspected it. Plus they were the ones who did the $1700.00 worth of work to the truck so it would pass! Great Place!!

Old 01-05-2011, 11:09 PM

37 posts, read 70,777 times
Thank you for the well-wishes Fern435!

We are reaching the grand finale of deciding between Maine and [now down to] one other state, with a bit of research and number crunching left before reaching the best decision for our family and, well... our budget...

Best of luck and well-wishes to you and yours in your journey to Maine, too!

This forum is priceless!!

Old 01-06-2011, 08:54 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,690,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irisheyesafire View Post
Hello, I know this is a bit of an older thread, but I'm hoping I can still find someone with helpful info. My family and I are on the cusp of a move to Maine (within a few weeks to a couple months, depending), and we currently have no vehicle and I am really searching and searching to figure out whether to - 1) buy something here (currently Arkansas) then register there (contemplating what benefits, if any, there would be by doing this?); 2) or, fly there then buy there. However, my main concern is, of course, expense, and I'm really trying to figure out the Maine excise tax and etc. We currently will be seeking an older vehicle in an extremely low price range, like a 10 - 15 yr old vehicle, for a low $ to last us at least a couple years anyway until we can move up a notch or three. How does the excise tax work on vehicles that are older (what is the amount, and/or does it apply to ALL vehicles or only through certain number of years old, as I'm only seeing a mil rate that goes back to a 6 yr old vehicle)...? Please forgive my ignorance. I'm really striving to figure out at least a close estimate of what to prepare for - say, if I buy an older vehicle of approximately '95 - '00 year model, what would the excise tax be on such a car/truck.

We've been long anticipating a move to ME. We were married there in '07, have been there a few times during winter and summer, also lived in South Dakota and LOVED it - and boy we HATE the swealtering, often triple digit temps PLUS high humidity of 60 - 80+%, Arkansas summers.

Anywho... we still will need to be most frugal and very modest in our means, so crunching numbers for all sorts of things is what I spend most of my time doing and what I'm really working on for our move. Right now I'm on the vehicle portion of number crunching.

OH, and one more thing - would it really benefit us to be seeking a 4-wheel drive? We will be living not too close to coast (need a lower cost), but not probably more than 1/2 hour to an hour away (? - we're still investigating rentals in a few areas), and not "planning" to go north of Bangor if that far.

Many, many thanks to anyone who can assist us with any helpful vehicle information (taxes, inspections, and/or absolutely anything)!
Maine?, Oregon?, Vallejo CA? the enthuasiam for those places seems strong as well.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:53 PM

2,519 posts, read 3,416,578 times
Quote:

Thank you, Zymer. Same way with us--don't anticipate divorce. My husband said it felt weird to take my name off the car titles, but I was not willing to pay Virginia $$$$ to keep my name on the titles. The original law was intended to help military families offset the high cost of living here. A politician saw a loophole in the way the law was written, and Virginia decided to tax the military members who have the non-military spouse on the car title.

We won't complain about paying the tax in Maine. The quality of life in Maine makes it worth every penny.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:21 PM

2,045 posts, read 3,360,579 times
This is all good info for me too... thanx. I had researched quite a bit about the costs online (ie. excise tax). I had also read that for the one year i was researching (I believe it was 2009), Maine had the lowest cost new policies in car insurance for that year of all the states.

I think alot of things even out in the states. NJ's auto insurance costs are horrendous, and i live in the country (South Jersey).

Old 01-09-2011, 08:01 PM

37 posts, read 70,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Maine?, Oregon?, Vallejo CA? the enthuasiam for those places seems strong as well.
Hello Maineah. Although I'm not sure about why you question (seems sarcastic but I could be wrong or misinterpreting ).

As I've mentioned, we have been researching a couple of states for relocation - Most recently. However, our "most recent" research has been between Idaho and Maine if this is of interest to you (?). Vallejo, CA is of absolutely no interest to us, and I will happily explain a smidge of our research for relocation if it will satisfy some curiosity or ...whatever there may be in the questioning.

I said and am most genuine in that our long desire has been to move to Maine, initially ever since I began researching [New England and then] Maine in 2004, and very much since we were married in Maine in 07. We love colder climates, lived in South Dakota and loved that, and wish to not remain in the south where we currently are. Ending our time in South Dakota, my husband went through layoff like so many others in the nation and we sought work for many months - work of any kind - before work happened again. It was a horrible time for our family. We have struggled since then to get back on our feet. Now, with his employment being in a new field - as a national driver - we have had the opportunity to look for a home nationally rather than be stuck where we are. After months and months (and months) of a lot of particular research of criteria for us and cost and many considerations, our inspection of relocating has included several states. Maine, being our first love, was always one, but we have many practical things to think of and not just our wants and wishes. We ended up deciding firmly on Oregon. For months, that was the plan. Then literally at the month we were ready to move, his work informed him he would rarely (if EVER) get home if we lived there. Considering they had known all the while that Oregon had been our ultimate decision, it was a big blow and a set-back for us. At that time, feeling at a loss yet having hopes for Oregon, we thought if we could just settle somewhere in northern California (where his job suggested to us as an option, as they have a base there) we would at least be close to Oregon (where we would like to end up), and would make do for the time. Beyond this reasoning, CA hasn't been of specific interest to us, and we would have to really pick and choose where we could afford there for however long... again, not (for many reasons) really where we were interested in being. We were, however, willing to consider it and in seeking apartments were approved for a place in Vallejo, CA. However, being the stickler for research that I am, I looked into many aspects (cost, safety, etc.) before being willing to accept, and so of course part of this included asking questions about the area on their forums. Any of you could go see the same things I saw about the area that horrified me, so we promptly turned the Vallejo, CA apartment down and have stuck tight where we are, continuing to research and wait.

We have had a rough, rough two years and are thankful to be back on our feet again. We're able to sympathize with those across the nation who have gone through a tremendous amount of loss due to unemployment. We take a move, any move and re-establishment, but especially a long-distance move, very, very seriously, and city-data forum is one of many tools we use in trying to make an informed and wise decision for our family. We've looked into many places and many places look great until you begin to dig a little. You'll no doubt see me crop up anywhere we have a desire to learn and/or may at some point wish to experience.

Thanks for your interest and I hope I satisfied the curiosity.

Old 05-20-2016, 04:57 PM

1 posts, read 547 times
I live in Texas but bought my car in louisisna do I have to pay new resident tax even though I've always lived in tx it doesn't seem right to me but any info would be greatly appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine