Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 02:04 PM

23 posts, read 45,469 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any info on Bath Iron Works (shipbuilding company), as far as how they are as employers and is the work there strictly seasonal or people are hired until projects are completed? thanks for any infor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 02:09 PM

37,452 posts, read 61,366,570 times
I have been around a few shipyards.

You really need to contact one of the yard-bird union offices. They could tell you more about hiring, and whatnot.

It is all driven by their contract load.

Welders, pipefitters, electricians, riggers, design, layout, foundrymen, tool and diemen, are all there. Each has it's own union.

Are you coming in from Bremerton?

Old 10-22-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I have been around a few shipyards.

You really need to contact one of the yard-bird union offices. They could tell you more about hiring, and whatnot.

It is all driven by their contract load.

Welders, pipefitters, electricians, riggers, design, layout, foundrymen, tool and diemen, are all there. Each has it's own union.

Are you coming in from Bremerton?
I was just interested in applying since I had seen an ad. I'm in N.Y. currently. Thanks for your reply.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:26 PM

1,664 posts, read 4,363,884 times
BIW is a DOD site under GD (General Dynamics). Right now they are building missile cruisers (Aegis) and after than winds down, there is talk of cuts in defense spending on new vessels being a nail in the coffin, so to speak. So the future is uncertain at best.

I hear this because in my job I deal with the big Navy contractors like Lockheed and Northrop Grumman.

I'd wanted to tour the place, but it's locked down due to being a Dept of Defense facility...

Old 10-22-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernOne View Post
I was just interested in applying since I had seen an ad. I'm in N.Y. currently. Thanks for your reply.
Your 'location' says Pac N.W. so I assumed that you were in the Pac N.W.

What area of shipbuilding would you be looking into?

Old 10-22-2008, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Your 'location' says Pac N.W. so I assumed that you were in the Pac N.W.

What area of shipbuilding would you be looking into?
Our home is in the Pacific NW (Alaska), but currently in N.Y. due to my mother being ill and needing help. My wife and I are seriously debating whether we want to return there. Currently renting out our home for a few months while we check out things here in the lower 48.

I'm a Journeyman Electrician and my wife has always wanted to live in Maine but we both realize cost of living there and other conditions can make it real tough so there'd be alot of factors to consider.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:53 PM

740 posts, read 1,881,755 times
I have friends and family that have worked at BIW for years. They are excellent paying jobs with good benefits, especially compared with other jobs in the state, so I don't think cost of living should be an issue.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:10 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,462,812 times
Great responses by everyone however one needs to look at how often BIW lays people off. Unfortunately, it happens often.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:24 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,380,434 times
Cianbro in Brewer is another possibility

Old 10-22-2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernOne View Post
Our home is in the Pacific NW (Alaska), but currently in N.Y. due to my mother being ill and needing help. My wife and I are seriously debating whether we want to return there. Currently renting out our home for a few months while we check out things here in the lower 48.

I'm a Journeyman Electrician and my wife has always wanted to live in Maine but we both realize cost of living there and other conditions can make it real tough so there'd be a lot of factors to consider.
The cost-of-living is a factor that must be considered.

We have been very fortunate.

We have lived previously in very high cost areas, we love Maine.

The low cost-of-living that is available here is great!

Where else could you buy land, build a home and begin setting up a farm all on a military pension?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine