Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 01:19 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,322,398 times

Advertisements

I would also recommend further downeast for coastal living. Portland is still a big city and you won't get country life there.

Any of the coastal towns might be enjoyable for you. Some of the island towns while limited in services in the winter time, have pretty tight knit groups that socialize a lot over the winter.

MDI is nice too. There are lots of people there who rent apartments or buy small houses. Granted, prices are a bit higher than on the mainland only 15 miles north, the draw there is the island itself, and the close knit community of it. When we bought our house on Acadia, and in every conversation since then the first question is "Are you staying here in the winter?" and if you say yes, the smiles come out instantly and conversation immediately starts. It was like the first question I had when I bought the house in rural western PA, "Can we hunt on your land?"

While MDI is rather touristy from May to October, the side benefit is lots of restaurants, theater, and music performances, as well as artsy stuff. But the community bring lots in at other times too. And the schools are realy fine and do their own cultural things. Its great to have the Acadia Senior College, and the College of the Atlantic on-island for cultural stuff in the winter.

Z
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 03:50 PM

874 posts, read 1,856,395 times
I'm from Philly myself. Portland is much smaller but reminds me of Philly 20 - 30 years ago. Many artists here so a lively art scene but also many nerdy gamer types. If you live in Portland, it can be very walkable. We use the car for grocery shopping but my husband walks to work even in winter. There are endless outdoor opportunities here.

Also, while the winters are colder and generally harsher (not this year) than Philly you don't get that larger city biting wind tunnel effect.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:33 PM

8 posts, read 25,993 times
thanks everyone. I think Portland is way for me assuming I find an apartment during summer months which is my goal. I would love to try the smaller more coastal areas but I need a more manageable environment without a car.

I still have some time as I dont plan on packing up my life til June. Or at least I'm planning on staying a week in June to check out some apartments and become familiar with the area.

My hope is to trek to not only portland but bangor and perhaps one other area and see what i'm getting into.

I'm a home body so winter doesnt have a big effect on me.

thanks for everyones tips and info. I will of course be checking back to see if anyones added anything, but for now I'm definitely thinking I'll be portland bound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine