Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 11:45 AM

659 posts, read 1,091,377 times

Advertisements

In a few years when the economy is better and I'm out of school. I've lived in Florida all my life and want a change of scenery, weather, and people. Is it worth the trip? What's it like living in ME?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 12:08 PM

722 posts, read 1,520,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb09 View Post
In a few years when the economy is better and I'm out of school. I've lived in Florida all my life and want a change of scenery, weather, and people. Is it worth the trip? What's it like living in ME?
Yes it is well worth the trip, and if you are serious I would start researching jobs in your area of studies and get up to Maine on your next break from school and see it for yourself. Maine is a huge state, so try to narrow an area that might suit you and reserch it. Good luck

Old 01-18-2009, 12:29 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,991,748 times
There are quite a few threads about moving to Maine on here, I'd start with scrolling back through the pages and reading the threads and then ask questions.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:04 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,835,963 times
I don't know about "huge", but Maine is bigger than the other 5 New England states combined.

I was stationed in Pensacola twice; once as a flight student and again after Vietnam. It was OK and I got to explore the Black River and Yellow river by canoe. I could not get home fast enough. We have four real seasons and small villages like you see in Norman Rockwell paintings.

Everybody is correct about coming to visit. This is nothing like Pensacola.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:24 PM

659 posts, read 1,091,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I don't know about "huge", but Maine is bigger than the other 5 New England states combined.

I was stationed in Pensacola twice; once as a flight student and again after Vietnam. It was OK and I got to explore the Black River and Yellow river by canoe. I could not get home fast enough. We have four real seasons and small villages like you see in Norman Rockwell paintings.

Everybody is correct about coming to visit. This is nothing like Pensacola.
Funny you mention Pensacola, tis where I live (I hate it ). But, the weather is considerably better than in S. Florida. We at least have a semblance of fall, winter, in spring, although when we have that semblance is out of wack. Two weeks ago it was around 60-70 degrees; the weather is menopausal.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:06 PM

13,147 posts, read 22,380,245 times
Congratulations on your interest in Maine.

I would tell you to come up and take a look around on a vacation before you decide on moving up here. They call Maine, "Vacationland" so even if you felt it wasn't for you, I'm sure you'd at the very least, thoroughly enjoy the trip.

What is it you're looking for in Maine?

The people in Florida will probably tell you that you're nuts for wanting to move to New England (then they will cite the thousands of retirees from New England who yearn for the weather of Florida). They'll say the weather is terrible and the people are rude. While Maine is certainly colder than Florida, the severity of the cold and the "horrible" nature of the weather is often over exaggerated; ESPECIALLY by those who live out of state. I'm not underplaying the weather here... it gets cold and snowy, but it's not as terrible as people make it seem many times. Maine is not Northern Alaska, Antarctica or Siberia.

As far as the "rude" thing goes... not in Maine. There are jerks (they are everywhere), sure, but my experiences (and the experiences of many people I know) have been that Maine is a VERY friendly place. The people are sincere here and it's a very comforting feeling to have that sincerity. You can really get a good read on the type of person everyone is here (good and bad) right from the start.

As for what's it like to live here? Well, that really depends. Maine covers a pretty large area. Though it's a smaller area than Florida, I would argue that at least geographically, it's more diverse than Florida. You have sandy coastline, rocky coastline, flat agricultural land, hilly agricultural land, mountains, lakes, rivers, etc. Depending on which part of the state you live in, life will vary.

Maine is also very sparsely populated. To put it in perspective, Portland, Maine's biggest city, is a seafaring town that's roughly about the same (in terms of population) size as Pensacola. The similarities really end about there though. It would be your best place to start looking as it offers the most amount of cultural and economic opportunities you'll find in Maine. It also has about the mildest climate you'll find in Maine (but don't worry, there's plenty of snow still... as I'm typing, there's a parking ban in effect to clear the latest foot of snow off of the streets).

If Portland feels like too much (If it doesn't feel like, "enough" then Maine may not be for you), head up the mid-coast through places like Brunswick, Bath, Belfast, Camden, etc... They'll offer beautiful scenery with fewer amenities than Portland, but they are by no means in no-man's land. If this is STILL to much, head up around Bangor and move East. Bangor is the "Queen City" (though it's actually the 4th largest behind Portland, Lewiston and South Portland) and offers a decent amount for a city of 33,000 people. It's very different from Portland, but it's a nice place in and of itself. East of Bangor (and a bit South) you have bunches of seaside communities (and some nice ones not on the coast) that offer some peace and quiet with great New England character... ALL the way to the Canadian border (we have a HUGE following for Eastport on this forum).

If the coast isn't your thing... NOT a problem. the hills and Mountains of Western Maine can be beautiful and enjoyable. Bethel is a nice mountain village with a ski area and a lot of activity for a town of its size (though spring and late fall can be a bit dull). Farmington has a university and always seems to be lively (super liberal as well... good or bad depending on your POV). Skowhegan has had tough times, but it's a cool community.

Northern Maine is beautiful and unique in its own way. I don't feel qualified to explain as I haven't spent much time there, but others know plenty.

Bottom line, figure out what you're looking for. Maine has a lot, but certainly not everything (nowhere has everything). Next, take a trip up here and see if it has what you want out of a home.

Good luck, I hope you find what you're looking for!

Old 02-15-2009, 12:46 PM

7 posts, read 13,052 times
Default I want to move to maine as well:

Does anyone have any resources or info. Where i can stay, like an inn, or rent a room just until i can find my own place to call home?
Rhode island has never worked out for me.

Old 02-15-2009, 02:38 PM

37,747 posts, read 61,972,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity1003 View Post
Does anyone have any resources or info. Where i can stay, like an inn, or rent a room just until i can find my own place to call home?
Rhode island has never worked out for me.
There are lots of places.

What region of Maine did you have in mind?

Old 02-15-2009, 02:41 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,835,963 times
What do you do for work? That will influence where you need to live. Meanwhile, take a look at the Lincoln area.

Welcome to Lincoln, Maine!

Old 02-16-2009, 05:41 AM

1,459 posts, read 4,887,178 times
Default Thinking of Moving to Maine

Well, let me tell you about living in Northern Maine. I was up there for 12 years and I mean UP THERE..17 miles from the Canadian Border. I did love it there. The people are amazing; helpful, friendly real neighborly. The town I lived in only had 300 people, but we could drive 17 miles to the nearest town for good shopping, movies, dinner, etc. My home was 100 years old, needed tons of work and overlooked the Mattawamkeg river. At night going to sleep there use to be this huge bullfrog that would serenade us or should I say kept us awake with his loud croaking. The air was clean, sky gorgeous blue with huge puffy clouds, open fields, wild strawberries, deer, moose, fiddleheads and more.

The only drawbacks of living up there were at that time, lack of work, blackflies that would almost carry you away in the summer and OMG the snow and cold in the winter! The first year we moved up there, the snow was touching the telephone wires! I thought what in the hell am I doing. The temperature would go down to 40 below zero and that is without the wind chill factor. Our house would snap and crack from the water that had seeped into the cracks freezing at night.

Since I have moved back to Connecticut I understand that this area now has become home to the Amish and they have brought lots of new things to the area. The area also now has a cedar mill that manufactures cedar logs to build homes so the job market is somewhat better.

I would say go ahead and try it up there. If you don't mind the cold and love to be neighborly, it is the place for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine