Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 07:20 PM

7,083 posts, read 8,962,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
If it is the guy I think we are talking about, why did Eastport let him cover up the sidewalk??? Several people commented to me about that....I never saw the sidewalk....
The sidewalk looked as if it had been removed and refilled with gravel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyFatGuy View Post
what is the address so I can go look; was this guy a vet?
It's on the north side of Shackford St. and you can see the house on google street view. I had heard he used to be a police officer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 08:29 PM

160 posts, read 318,087 times
is it the brown house on the corner of Willow & Shackford?

Old 02-13-2010, 05:00 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,895,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
If it is the guy I think we are talking about, why did Eastport let him cover up the sidewalk??? Several people commented to me about that....I never saw the sidewalk....
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
The sidewalk looked as if it had been removed and refilled with gravel.

It's on the north side of Shackford St. and you can see the house on google street view. I had heard he used to be a police officer.
That is a whole big conflab there. That and the house on Key near Chapel with that fence. THAT is why I don't tell people where their property lines are. I'm no surveyor.

Quote:
is it the brown house on the corner of Willow & Shackford?
That's the one. Heckuva nice guy especially being from Joisey. LOL Joking.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:18 AM

would very much like to meet him -and- of course ALL of you

Old 02-13-2010, 10:01 AM

7,083 posts, read 8,962,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
That is a whole big conflab there.
Will the city allow a homeowner to remove a sidewalk if it is in bad condition, we noticed in a few places where there were old sidewalks that many were in bad condition due to sinking/shifting ground.
Quote:
would very much like to meet him -and- of course ALL of you
dramamama and I were up last September and had the time of our lives, met more CDers than we could list.

Us at the Rose Garden.

At the WaCo and fisherman statue.

Geocaching in Houlton.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a278/woxyroxme/mainetrips001.jpg (broken link)

Whale watching on the Sylvina W. Beal.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:19 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,976,102 times
I see me and mensaguy in one of those pictures.

Old 02-13-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Will the city allow a homeowner to remove a sidewalk if it is in bad condition, we noticed in a few places where there were old sidewalks that many were in bad condition due to sinking/shifting ground.

The sidewalks belong to the city technically as we own the streets by deed and the sidewalk is part of that. In my opinion it should be up to the Council to allow or not people replacing them.

Now I have a question (seeing as the thread is about Eastport questions). It's not as if Eastport is a destination on the lips of the rest of the U.S. so how did you folks find out about us and decide you wanted to live here? Ken, I know how you and Michelle found this place. Family heirloom. But how about the rest of you? I ask a few people that come into the office this question and get some really cool answers.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:04 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,035,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Now I have a question (seeing as the thread is about Eastport questions). It's not as if Eastport is a destination on the lips of the rest of the U.S. so how did you folks find out about us and decide you wanted to live here? Ken, I know how you and Michelle found this place. Family heirloom. But how about the rest of you? I ask a few people that come into the office this question and get some really cool answers.
I have the Eastport area on my list of possible areas for me to settle in when I move to Maine--but it's not at the top of my list for certain reasons.

I require both the ocean and the fields and forests, and I ideally want to live where I can see both from my widows or at least see one and be close enough to walk to the other.

I also like commercial fishing boats and activities, while I dislike tourist traps and having to see typical pleasure "boats."

I'm not moving from New York to be around New Yorkers and their ideas of what belongs in a neighborhood and what doesn't.

And I want an area that is thinly populated at all times of the year.

I found out about Eastport and other coastal locations during my several years of researching places to live and houses or land to buy in Maine.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:37 PM

nothing magical or even spectacular ... about 1.5 years ago I decided I wanted to live somewhere neat; started looking on the internet for small towns; looked at places in Oregon, Idaho, Montana, even northern Minnesota. I was raised in Miami (left in '69), lived in Hawaii (71-74) so I was led to the ocean. I found that I didn't mind the cold/snow (MN 2002-2010) so I thought of Maine. I read somewhere (which I still don't understand) that Eastport was where the sun rose first in the US -and- being a morning person I knew it was the place. Then chatting with the great people in and around Washington county just sealed the deal.

that's it, nothing dreamy ... could have said something dumb like looking for Cabot Cove and found Eastport

Old 02-13-2010, 07:02 PM

You can look for Cabot Cove all you like. Just so long as you don't talk like Tom Bosley on that show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine