Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 05:18 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,201,985 times

Advertisements

Under TGTL, you basically pay the back taxes you SHOULD have paid, plus interest, when you take it out of tree growth. You choose to keep it in, fine. It's a balancing act, and I see absolutely nothing wrong with it. I happen to keep my land out of tree growth, but if I had 1000 acres fronting a lake that I had no intention of developing, well, maybe. Setback rules on lakes and ponds is a water quality issue, not an "infringement" on anyone's "liberty." We've poisoned a huge percentage of our waterways. There are no fish fit to eat that come from the Penobscot, save anadramous species, and that's questionable. Maybe the day will come when we can dump oil straight into the lake like in the old days without fear of prosecution. Well, the 2-strokes pretty much continue to take care of that. REALLY old outboards had "total loss" lubrication systems. Not a good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 08:08 PM

7,074 posts, read 8,934,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin5098 View Post
I think most responsible gun owners would agree it's not a good idea to ride around with a rifle displayed in the window.
Just get a decal like this to hide that "redneck rack."

Old 01-28-2010, 10:03 PM

783 posts, read 1,574,353 times
Talking good old truck

The first vehicle I bought in Maine was a 1980-ish 350 Chevy 4X4 with a wooden flat bed, removable wooden side boards, & tailgate. I bought her from a Rockport fisherman who was moving up in the truck dept. What an awesome truck! The gun rack was part of that old truck's feng shui and it stayed; I used it as a broom rack. I still lament selling the truck - it retired to a dairy farm.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:49 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,094,896 times
I still see the occasional truck with a gun rack and a rifle or shotgun in it during hunting season. Not nearly as common as it used to be, but stop at Moody's Diner midmorning during hunting season and you're bound to see one or two examples.

And yes, I remember students bringing their rifles and shotgun to school during hunting season. No big deal. The principal kept them behind the door in his office. There were days when he had more firepower in his office than the city police force could muster!

Old 01-29-2010, 01:46 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Some day we'll have school rifle teams again.
You don't have those up there anymore? You sure? We have quite a few school teams down here in the DC area. If you don't it's probably just due to lack of interest or funding. Here it's mostly a "club sport" so the schools don't fund it but the kids stilll compete under the auspices of the school.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:40 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
The Old Town Highschool JROTC has a rifle team. The last I spoke with the Light Colonel there is a lack of other teams they can compete with.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:26 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
One challenge is that it's a fairly expensive sport to get into. Good target rifles are in the $1,500 range, on top of shooting jackets, pants, boots, scope, mat, etc.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:41 PM

740 posts, read 1,881,464 times
I always use to use a gun rack. But had trouble with it falling out of place on dirt roads. The one I had was made of plastic and probably kind of cheap. I now use a seat cover that has a slot along the front of it you can slide your gun in or just keep it in a case behind the seat. Kind of easier when leaving the truck parked and your guns out of plain sight in case anyone gets any ideas. We used to take our guns to high school and leave them in our trucks or cars with no issues. In college we did the same thing and we could check them in at the dorms if we didn't have a vehicle to leave them in. Not sure what the rules are now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine